supercross AMA Banned Helmet mounted cams

Hmmm...that's strange. I mean even F1, nascar, Moto road racing, etc,..has cams.  I wonder why?

Also that sucks cuz it's so awesome watching the footage. The AMA. One organization that sabotages a sport on a yearly basis

• Like 4

It's not for safety, It's always about the money. The AMA probably wanted "property rights" on the video footage, and once that was denied, they banned the camera's. I have no proof whatsoever, but that is just how cynical I have become with the AMA and their "strong arm tactics".

I will amend my previous statement. It does seem like the AMA is doing this for safety reasons after all. I was originally under the impression this was just for Pro's and was about revenue. But seeing as how it is for all AMA racers, I think this is about safety now. 

Edited by MANIAC998
  • Like 1

It isn't just cameras, it is anything mounted to the helmet shell: the part that is tested/certified.

Many other orgs don't allow this anymore either.

Can you mount to the visor? Arguably yes. It is not part of the certified shell.

Many already mount cameras to chest mounts.

Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long. Many other orgs moved a lot faster than this to ban mounting to the helmet after Michael Schumacher's skiing accident. If you want to say $ was involved, that would be the better argument with GoPro sponsoring series/events/riders they didn't ban helmet mounting earlier to keep that $ flowing.

Edited by eastreich
I can't spell today
  • Like 3

They can try to take mine at the line. The only ama sanctioned race I do is Ironman GNCC, so if they want to hold up 800 riders to make sure I take off my camera, they're going to make a lot of people upset. I run mine under the visor so there's no safety concern.

Edited by k.g
  • Haha 1

Ok so they didn't ban cameras as the thread title suggests.  They banned mounting them to the helmet.  Probably a good move. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Whitey said:

The Rona has many looking into revenue, many not making it through these times.  Expect cuts, cost saving measures, survival tactics.

Rona is the most overused excuse I've seen in my lifetime.  This has nothing to do with Rona.

• Like 3

eventually they will incorporate a camera into the goggles used by the factory riders.....a very small wireless camera that may not even be noticeable....I question the value other than using the video to create video games...

goggle cam's already exist, video quality isn't great but that's not far off 

they can bark safety all the want if that was really the case there would have been action taken when Schumacher went into a coma from his skiing crash

2 hours ago, redrider144 said:

Rona is the most overused excuse I've seen in my lifetime.  This has nothing to do with Rona.

I agree, but we should both agree that it has put many in a financial world of hurt.