redrider144

supercross AMA Banned Helmet mounted cams

52 minutes ago, Mongo134 said:

What about the data thingmajiggers they put on their helmets for the race teams other than cameras? And what about Webbs  "super cool retro MC" shark fin? 

If it's about "safety" then those would fall under the "...or other accessories" blanket ban.

51 minutes ago, Mongo134 said:

Chin bar mount but I haven't done a AMA sanctioned race in 3 years.

Chin bar mount provides the best view IMO, but that would be banned from how the AMA wrote the rule.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Whitey said:

Under visor, perfect view.  I have 2 visors for my Shoei, one with the mount permanently riveted on.

Yes that makes sense, but it all depends on how the AMA enforces their vaguely written rule.

• Like 1

I understand about the safety aspect of this, but of all the things to do, taking away a rider's freedom to record his race or practice ride seems really counter productive. Chest mounts suck to watch IMO. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arctic Pride said:

goggle cam's already exist, video quality isn't great but that's not far off 

they can bark safety all the want if that was really the case there would have been action taken when Schumacher went into a coma from his skiing crash

They mentioned that incident of part of the reason . That , along with ding dongs drilling helmets for nuts bolts and rivets , reducing the strength of the helmet . I'm not an engineer but do understand parts of the argument . 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Crustybutt said:

They mentioned that incident of part of the reason . That , along with ding dongs drilling helmets for nuts bolts and rivets , reducing the strength of the helmet . I'm not an engineer but do understand parts of the argument . 

Schumacher's incident was 7 years ago. If they had released incidents where helmet mounted accessories had been deemed a cause of injury I could understand this motion. Last season they said "we own all this footage" and since that didn't work so well its all banned. As Red mentioned its so vauge it allows for on the fly judgement like Lit Pro being off the list. 

• Like 3

They tried this crap with Reed when he had that crazy triangle camera on his helmet because it wasn’t a GoPro

The AMA loved helmet cams when GoPro was a paying sponsor and are now probably looking for a way to own the footage. They’ll probably push that fender cam that failed a few years back or some other POS 

Edited by MotorBoatin
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Crustybutt said:

They mentioned that incident of part of the reason

Schumacher was injured in 2013.  It took the AMA 7 years of analysis there?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, redrider144 said:

If it's about "safety" then those would fall under the "...or other accessories" blanket ban.

It was among the many things they mentioned . I recall an article in either MXA or Dirt Bike that came out earlier this year . the article was , specifically , about Aria Helmets and their practice of keeping helmets as " round " as possible , while engineering any vent structures ( wings , fins , etc ) break off easily in a crash . It is their belief that helmets should not have anything protruding from the shell that can dig in to the ground and transmit rotational torque to the riders bean  . You can probably google the article , it's quite informative . 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Crustybutt said:

It was among the many things they mentioned . I recall an article in either MXA or Dirt Bike that came out earlier this year . the article was , specifically , about Aria Helmets and their practice of keeping helmets as " round " as possible , while engineering any vent structures ( wings , fins , etc ) break off easily in a crash . It is their belief that helmets should not have anything protruding from the shell that can dig in to the ground and transmit rotational torque to the riders bean  . You can probably google the article , it's quite informative . 

Helmets have visors right?  Sounds like a thing that definitely fits the category of "can dig in to the ground and transmit rotational torque."

The helmet visor breaks off though, without alot of force required.  How does a GoPro suction-cupped onto the helmet or mounted under the visor alter that situation?  Hint:  It doesn't.

This is about $$.  Feld already tipped their hand awhile back when they tried blocking riders from uploading footage to YouTube.  They also wouldn't let Chad Reed run a helmet cam that was from a competitor to GoPro.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Helmets have visors right?  Sounds like a thing that definitely fits the category of "can dig in to the ground and transmit rotational torque."

The helmet visor breaks off though, without alot of force required.  How does a GoPro suction-cupped onto the helmet or mounted under the visor alter that situation?  Hint:  It doesn't.

This is about $$.  Feld already tipped their hand awhile back when they tried blocking riders from uploading footage to YouTube.  They also wouldn't let Chad Reed run a helmet cam that was from a competitor to GoPro.

Okay , then it's about money . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

at MX speed the helmet shell is not a big deal in probably 99.9% of crashes so a drill hole here or there isn't to be concerned about

Sure the idea that a cam can catch on something and possibly be an issue is in theory a potential problem but so what. Ridding dirt bikes has soooo many more worthy things to think about than this.

This is a libtard move of some kind. Money, power, etc etc

I doubt very much that its  anything to do with safety 

• Haha 1

When I saw how Marvin Musquin's head was accelerated into a instant stop in that practice crash, and he was still able to race, I was impressed by the quality of his helmet.  Crash damage is about deceleration speeds, not travel speed.  It is not uncommon to see concussion injuries in our sport.  So I "guess" I understand the stance from the AMA/FIM.  But I still don't think it should be a "mandate", over a personal decision, unless they can show where those devices can damage other riders on the course. 

That said, I hope this spurs some great designs.  It sucks to have all that crap hanging off a helmet.   Build it in to the helmet.  Bell Helmets are made in China, they could get their hands on rip off copies of the telemetry & video gear to incorporate on the cheap.

Troy Lee, 6D, Fox, and others could come out with some pretty cool stuff.  Built in lighting, comms, display graphics.  How about a helmet that changes graphics.  It really kind of opens up a whole new era for helmets. :cheers:

I'm sure a helmet mounted GoPro does add to the risk of serious injury, I just don't think that's what the AMA is worried about.  They are worried about their own liability, not rider safety otherwise we'd see a lot more changes to safety gear, track design, and off course obstacles.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 5:33 PM, Crustybutt said:

I’m being serious, Does this really happen? Never seen a camera that was mounted on a helmet with nuts and bolts. Usually a sticky mount.