2 strokes! Another oil forum!

I’ve tried to search this but didn’t find what I was looking for. I have a 2018 yz250 and the manual calls for 32:1 yamalube R. I wanna try amsoil intercepter for trail riding. The intercepter says mix at 50:1. Idk if I want to go that lean. When you guys switch oil what do you go by? The bottle or the manual mixture? Thanks 

• Angry 1

11 minutes ago, ben selby said:

I’ve tried to search this but didn’t find what I was looking for. I have a 2018 yz250 and the manual calls for 32:1 yamalube R. I wanna try amsoil intercepter for trail riding. The intercepter says mix at 50:1. Idk if I want to go that lean. When you guys switch oil what do you go by? The bottle or the manual mixture? Thanks 

I use amsoil dominator at 50:1 in all my 2 strokes and have never had an issue! I asked this same question quite a few years ago, and got multiple same answers on using oil manufacturers recommendation. 

We’re trying Interceptor @50:1 right now, and it seems to be doing fine. There’s oil in the crankcase, and a coating on the piston. This is on a KTM200, and it gets ridden pretty hard. I’ve always been a fan of more oil, but we’ll see how this goes. So far so good.

I tried running Interceptor at 32:1 but the bike didn't 'feel' right. 50:1 as per the bottle was an improvement but I prefer to have more oil rather than less so after I used up that premix I switched brands. Haven't looked back, I rejetted to compensate for the mixture each time too.

Edited by smirmeister

I have a 2018 yz250 and want to try amsoil intercepter for trail riding. I noticed that the manual for the yz calls for a ratio of 32:1 and amsoil calls for 50:1. Which should I use. Also I’ve read that 32:1 is leaner than 50:1 but how does that make sense if there is more oil? Thanks 

• Haha 2

I want in! more oil means less fuel to burn thus the ratio is leaner in terms of combustion

Yamaha and their vey expensive R & D department have engineered a engine to run at 32:1 fuel to oil ratio, I doubt anyone here has the education, experience, resources etc to counter their warrantied recommendations

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, brownballin said:

I want in! more oil means less fuel to burn thus the ratio is leaner in terms of combustion

Yamaha and their vey expensive R & D department have engineered a engine to run at 32:1 fuel to oil ratio, I doubt anyone here has the education, experience, resources etc to counter their warrantied recommendations

But that’s only when they use their oil, not some other brand. Right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ben selby said:

I've always ran 40:1 in my 250's. Any quality oil is good. I prefer Golden Spectro. 

• Like 1

It's funny, back in the 80's when full synthetic 2 stroke oils became available here, everyone recommended 50 or 60:1 with them. I ran Bel-ray at 50:1 and Silkolene at 60:1 in a KTM250 with no issues. Bike manufacturers then were recommending 20-25:1, but I suspect that was because there were still a lot of mineral oils still around. I was surprised to see 32:1 being thrown around as common when I came back to dirt.

I think it shows what We have discovered with better studies and technology since then. The Maxima page above for example. I've read a fair bit on it and it definitely seems the heavier oil-fuel ratios are the go.

With this in mind, I run 40:1 in My 500, and 32:1 in the 125. I ran 40:1 in the '07 KTM 250 I had.  I don't think I'd run 50:1 again regardless of the oil, even though it may well be ok.

Btw, the more oil you run the leaner (air/fuel) the bike will run due to the thickness of the mix coming through the jets. I don't think it makes as much difference as some would have you believe, but it is something to be aware of.