XR650L Adventure lights wiring

Hello guys I have a 2008 Honda xr650l I’m looking to install some led adventure lights on it my question is can anyone give me advice what the best place to wire into is? I was considering wiring into the blue and white ignition wire That is also the high low beam wire, it seems like a good candidate because when started switch is pushed it cuts power and also because i believe it will allow the lights to be on with both high and low beam. What are your guys thoughts can you confirm or deny any advice ?

You can purchase an accessory relay and wiring harness off of amazon or ebay for $15 to $20. Then your lights and any other accessories can be on their own dedicated circuit that is only energized when the key is on. Add a switch of your choosing to the light circuit, and your all set.

https://www.amazon.com/DZG-Universal-Harness-Motorcycle-Auxiliary/dp/B07GTNHNMN/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+light+wiring+harness&qid=1608317520&sr=8-5

47 minutes ago, rmowrey said:

You can purchase an accessory relay and wiring harness off of amazon or ebay for $15 to $20. Then your lights and any other accessories can be on their own dedicated circuit that is only energized when the key is on. Add a switch of your choosing to the light circuit, and your all set.

https://www.amazon.com/DZG-Universal-Harness-Motorcycle-Auxiliary/dp/B07GTNHNMN/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+light+wiring+harness&qid=1608317520&sr=8-5

What is the purpose of a relay in the system when there is Already an in-line fuse? 

With the relay you create an independent circuit connected directly to the battery, that is turned on and off with the key switch or any switch you choose. If there is a failure in that circuit, it will not affect the operation of the bike.

You can put an inline fuse attached to any 12v source you want, but are you certain that circuit can handle the additional load?

A relay is only necessary if high current.  I would go to the auto parts and buy a switch that will handle about 10 amps and wire it directly to the battery with number 12 wire and just turn your lights on/off when needed.

Edited by Gary56

You can certainly just wire to battery with a good quality toggle switch, for simplicity’s sake, just fuse it as close to battery as possible. There is one caveat in this though, just remember to turn the switch off. Sounds simple enough but if you bump it on during the day and you don’t look at your bike, your battery may go dead. This is where the relay comes in. The lights will only operate when the ignition switch is on, (if you wire the relay coil power to the ignition wire) but you still use your toggle to turn your auxiliary lights on or off. Reminds me of when the car stereo craze was on in the 90’s, kids who didn’t know how to properly install an aftermarket head unit just twisted the constant 12v and ignition switched 12v together so the head unit was on regardless of the ignition switch. Dead battery if you forgot to turn radio off. Use a relay, they are easy to use.  Ok I’m done with my rant. 

• Helpful 1