Jump to content

Clean the dang bike (Rant)

Recommended Posts

 

Bike for sale i just put a topend in. > But it needs 2 years of mud cleaned off. 

Dose this piston look bad?>  Well now since you didn't clean all the sand off before you took it apart, now it's a total rebuild. 

This (name brand) crank let me down  in x hours> The pictures of your work space explains that. Were you out side? 

 

Work like a professional. In a clean environment. With clean tools, And the right tools. Don't be afraid to buy them. If your doing it once,  more than likely your going to do it again on a another bike or a buddies bike. 

Cleaning is just about free. So do it.

Work like a professional and your become a professional. Take your time, Your time is free, redoing it is not. 

There are a lot of GOOD videos on rebuilding and some bad ones. Look in the back ground and see how clean and neat there shop is.

You don't have to be obsessive about it. Work a little then clean up. Work a little more. 

Take your time and enjoy it. Don't rush through it so you can ride right away. That will save you money so you can buy an extra bike to ride while working on the other.

 

  • Like 11
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't have said it better. There's so many threads on here about people f****** up their bike due to jury rigging tools and performing "quick fixes". Always, always, always use the right tool for the job. Nine times out of ten buying the proper tools for whatever job you're doing is still cheaper than taking it to a shop, but now you'll have the tools for life.... After a while you'll be able to perform any job necessary, properly with the correct tools, for basically free.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eric wesche (skippy622) said:

 

Bike for sale i just put a topend in. > But it needs 2 years of mud cleaned off. 

Dose this piston look bad?>  Well now since you didn't clean all the sand off before you took it apart, now it's a total rebuild. 

This (name brand) crank let me down  in x hours> The pictures of your work space explains that. Were you out side? 

 

Work like a professional. In a clean environment. With clean tools, And the right tools. Don't be afraid to buy them. If your doing it once,  more than likely your going to do it again on a another bike or a buddies bike. 

Cleaning is just about free. So do it.

Work like a professional and your become a professional. Take your time, Your time is free, redoing it is not. 

There are a lot of GOOD videos on rebuilding and some bad ones. Look in the back ground and see how clean and neat there shop is.

You don't have to be obsessive about it. Work a little then clean up. Work a little more. 

Take your time and enjoy it. Don't rush through it so you can ride right away. That will save you money so you can buy an extra bike to ride while working on the other.

 

Thanks! Pride is measured/displayed in many different ways.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me there are three 'camps'. Those that never clean their bike, those that clean it to excess and never get it dirty (except road sparf from riding in the back of the lifted F350 dually) and those that ride, wash and once or twice a year, detail.

Some like to leave the bike dirty, it is a dirt bike and being dirty makes them feel like real riders. Some people are just lazy.  Needs spark plug to run. No low ballers.

Trailer queens, with the polished engine cases and Armour-All tires, these are the same ones that follow every trend on Tik-Tok and sadly, just missed out on the Tide Pod challenge. Packing? we don't need no stinking packing when hitting the rev limiter in neutral in the driveway at midnight. For sale, never raced or abused, original tires, rear is bald and squared. No title, Cost $12K five years ago, too many upgrades (Bold new graphics, new air filter, exhaust and grip pillows) to mention $17K, trade for late model muscle car

Those that ride and a few times a year, detail. They are usually normal people. Boring because they are logical. 300 hours, well serviced, all records and receipts. Spare set of wheels.

No matter who you are, wash the bike, especially well in the area you are going to work BEFORE you take it apart. Would you want a surgeon to operate on you with out washing his hands after he scarfed down a bucket of KFC Barbecue?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then there are these kinds of listings 🙄

 

(random pic i found, not an actual listing)

image.png.7b7ca1e07fad1685a1fb273f993ce85d.png

"clean bike $2500 obo. the bike was always taken care of very well and never raced or ridden on the street. it got a full engine rebuild done professionally 60 hours ago. just needs a carb cleaning and it will run."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, piltoyougram said:

Then you have the JOKER  who advertises his KTM on craigslist $8,100.00! With so much mud and dirt on it you can't even tell what the hell it is! Not good!

If there is no model mentioned, it's an SX. Buy the cheapest model, realize it sucks for offroad. Sell, hoping someone doesn't know any better, like the seller didn't, and pays XC-W money. Then the seller can get a real one himself. 

 

2 hours ago, William1 said:

Seems to me there are three 'camps'. Those that never clean their bike, those that clean it to excess and never get it dirty (except road sparf from riding in the back of the lifted F350 dually) and those that ride, wash and once or twice a year, detail.

Some like to leave the bike dirty, it is a dirt bike and being dirty makes them feel like real riders. Some people are just lazy.  Needs spark plug to run. No low ballers.

Trailer queens, with the polished engine cases and Armour-All tires, these are the same ones that follow every trend on Tik-Tok and sadly, just missed out on the Tide Pod challenge. Packing? we don't need no stinking packing when hitting the rev limiter in neutral in the driveway at midnight. For sale, never raced or abused, original tires, rear is bald and squared. No title, Cost $12K five years ago, too many upgrades (Bold new graphics, new air filter, exhaust and grip pillows) to mention $17K, trade for late model muscle car

Those that ride and a few times a year, detail. They are usually normal people. Boring because they are logical. 300 hours, well serviced, all records and receipts. Spare set of wheels.

No matter who you are, wash the bike, especially well in the area you are going to work BEFORE you take it apart. Would you want a surgeon to operate on you with out washing his hands after he scarfed down a bucket of KFC Barbecue?

Had to get it off your chest, huh?

Edited by nots0much
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eric wesche (skippy622) said:

 

Bike for sale i just put a topend in. > But it needs 2 years of mud cleaned off. 

Dose this piston look bad?>  Well now since you didn't clean all the sand off before you took it apart, now it's a total rebuild. 

This (name brand) crank let me down  in x hours> The pictures of your work space explains that. Were you out side? 

 

Work like a professional. In a clean environment. With clean tools, And the right tools. Don't be afraid to buy them. If your doing it once,  more than likely your going to do it again on a another bike or a buddies bike. 

Cleaning is just about free. So do it.

Work like a professional and your become a professional. Take your time, Your time is free, redoing it is not. 

There are a lot of GOOD videos on rebuilding and some bad ones. Look in the back ground and see how clean and neat there shop is.

You don't have to be obsessive about it. Work a little then clean up. Work a little more. 

Take your time and enjoy it. Don't rush through it so you can ride right away. That will save you money so you can buy an extra bike to ride while working on the other.

 

You can work for me anytime. Good on you for teaching good habits. Well done sir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was searching for a how to video for valve adj on a KTM 350, I found a youtuber with sand literally falling off his coils into the engine showing us how to do it!. Unbelievable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEL107 said:

When I was searching for a how to video for valve adj on a KTM 350, I found a youtuber with sand literally falling off his coils into the engine showing us how to do it!. Unbelievable!

Yep, I saw one like that. Stupid is real!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friends always gave me a hard time with how much I cleaned my bikes, while their bikes were held together with oil and dirt. 😂 

I ride my bikes hard- they give me joy and I appreciate my investments, so they get a good cleanup after every ride and 99% of the time look like they just came off the showroom floor when not in use 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing the top end and cam upgrade on my bike.  I can not stress enough to clean before wrenching.  Makes it easy to take apart and lay out the parts as they come off.  Seen too many goofs in a hurry to slap a set of rings on something them wonder why they munched a cylinder 30 minutes later.  

Good read!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...