ThumperTalk

2021 T-Race Rally Pro Electric Motorcycle "100% Dakar Ready"

image.png

From the Tacita Website:

TACITA is delighted to respond to the ambitious New Energies program recently presented by Amaury Sport Organisation. ASO organises the Dakar Rally, Le Tour de France and La Vuelta. Several years in the development, Tacita has a bike specifically designed to answer the ASO project.

The TACITA program goes even further than ASO criteria. The 2021 T-RACE RALLY PRO racing bikes are 100% recharged by renewable energies. This means there is no need any internal combustion engine generator.

Despite the complications of the pandemic, 2020 saw the Italian company continue the development, tests and the fine tuning of its technology. This intense program saw the TACITA electric bikes prove their reliability on all kind of terrains in every condition. From rocky paths, sand dunes, snow and ice, passing from torrid temperatures to the thermometer going below zero, the Tacita system took it all in its stride

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I'm not familiar with how far each day for Dakar is usually but if it's around 200miles I could see the batteries lasting that long as bikes like the zero sr are capable of that range on a charge. If that is the case then they could just recharge overnight as I think the racing is just in the days. Typically if you have a big enough generator you can recharge any of the modern batteries in about 1 hour if you arent concerned with battery degradation (in other words like in racing scenarios where a little more wear isnt the worst thing) so could also do hot swaps. 

Interested to see what they are planning to do and how well they do

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mr.skywalker said:

I'm not familiar with how far each day for Dakar is usually but if it's around 200miles I could see the batteries lasting that long as bikes like the zero sr are capable of that range on a charge. If that is the case then they could just recharge overnight as I think the racing is just in the days. Typically if you have a big enough generator you can recharge any of the modern batteries in about 1 hour if you arent concerned with battery degradation (in other words like in racing scenarios where a little more wear isnt the worst thing) so could also do hot swaps. 

Interested to see what they are planning to do and how well they do

I'd say an Alta is probably a better comparison which gets what, 20-30 miles when ridden hard (if that)?  Some of these Dakar stages are 400+ miles....

• Like 1

Everybody go easy on it, it has a clutch.

They ran this bike last year and by "ran" I mean they did a short course after the race was officially over.  I tried for a while but never could find out how they actually placed in the epilogue last year.  Quidiyya Grand Prix or some such...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not even if it was free.   No place for this electric crap in my stable.   The “Green” aspect is laughably absurd,  recharged by either Coal or Nuke it’s what feeds our grid currently and for some time to come.  And where to begin on the Mining and processing of the rare earth ingredients in the non recyclable batteries. 

I will still be thrashing my gas powered shrubbery smasher in 12 years,  count on that.   How do I get an OEM replacement rechargeable battery for a moto out of production for 12 years ?

Edited by Whats an aluminum falcon
  • Like 6

Well maybe they will acutally use this for the complete Dakar in 2021 if it doesn't get canceled at the last minute :(

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news-detail/dakar-2021-in-jeopardy-as-saudi-arabia-closes-borders

but IMO a stage can be long so ya range on a single charge otherwise is there a support truck following carrying a replacement battery or charger but then the truck will also be racing.

Start is Jan 5th 2021 and I'm hoping to be able to watch Dakar 2021 but who the hell knows and if it goes I'll look for this E bike during the race.

32 minutes ago, Whats an aluminum falcon said:

Not even if it was free.   No place for this electric crap in my stable.   The “Green” aspect is laughably absurd,  recharged by either Coal or Nuke it’s what feeds our grid currently and for some time to come.  And where to begin on the processing of the rare earth ingredients in the non recyclable batteries. 

I raise a glass to your statement. For the reasons you stated, and my love for the combustion engine!

• Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BMEr-BvaAo

They raced the Merzouga Rally in 2012 with the Tacita T-Race. They where hot-swapping battery packs and had to do shorther "fueling" stages. Patrick still had a few occasion that he ran out of juice in the dunes then.  At the Dakar I believe the clean energy category is running differents rules regarding "fueling-stops" vs the usual classes.

Edited by Le_Racer
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

22 minutes ago, PhilthyX said:

Well maybe they will acutally use this for the complete Dakar in 2021 if it doesn't get canceled at the last minute :(

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news-detail/dakar-2021-in-jeopardy-as-saudi-arabia-closes-borders

but IMO a stage can be long so ya range on a single charge otherwise is there a support truck following carrying a replacement battery or charger but then the truck will also be racing.

Start is Jan 5th 2021 and I'm hoping to be able to watch Dakar 2021 but who the hell knows and if it goes I'll look for this E bike during the race.

2 hours ago, dentvet said:

They ran this bike last year and by "ran" I mean they did a short course after the race was officially over.  I tried for a while but never could find out how they actually placed in the epilogue last year.  Quidiyya Grand Prix or some such...

It will be the same for 2021.  It is not actually competing in Dakar, it is doing a parade lap.  Ooooohhhhh...

On January 17th, during the final stage of this epic event, the TACITA T-Race Rally 2020 will join the full field of competitors at the “Qiddiyah Grand Prix” to make his first Dakar debut.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigDukeSix said:

I raise a glass to your statement. For the reasons you stated, and my love for the combustion engine!

Agreed . The upside of all this electric bike stuff is that we all benefit from better battery technology .  From flash lights , to driver drills to powered dildos ....everybody needs better batteries . 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Oregon Comrade said:

I'd say an Alta is probably a better comparison which gets what, 20-30 miles when ridden hard (if that)?  Some of these Dakar stages are 400+ miles....

Not really, the zero is probably going to be closer is size/power/capacity to this bike looking at the pics of the cells. The zero srs with  addition pack has close to 20kwh capacity(alta has 6kwh) and if its designed to run at dakar pace it should be designed to be more efficient at those speeds. The zero can run for well over 100miles at highway speeds(200 in town) as a reference point.

Seeing some later replies doesnt look like it's doing the full stage though which doesnt surprise me bc electric vehicles aren't really ready for long distance like Dakar. 

17 hours ago, dentvet said:

A clutch and a shifter...

What kind of range it gets will be interesting, especially when they get into the deep sand dune sections.