ThumperTalk

2021 T-Race Rally Pro Electric Motorcycle "100% Dakar Ready"

2 hours ago, Kaden McMaster said:

everybodies putting aside the fact that this thing looks heavy as sh*t

thats a given, its a long range electric. The thing about electrics though is though on a scale they may be heavy but they actually feel lighter than you would expect(go watch alta reviews, they say it feels like a 125 but weights more than a 450) due to no gyroscopic effect. Also Dakar bikes are already really heavy bc of all the extra fuel so its not a surprise the electric would be too. One plus side is heavier bikes tend to be more stable at higher speeds and can track well in sand once they are moving(getting going is a challenge)

13 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

You strap a solar panel to your back when you ride... 

The chase truck was loaded with solar panels, hence no generator.

On 12/21/2020 at 12:07 PM, lil_squid said:

Stop trying to make things look futuristic!!! It never works!!

image.png.74a76a7379c155228bf7f4bf79b170ce.png image.png.102200cbb7c62d8a9095caf0a98f7203.png 

image.png.e5ed24f11bc400070433a584165756a6.png image.png.3a3db16458822b40966f117639c2fdf8.pngimage.png.30a41b5a79f600b1cd218a83a8d794b2.png

as an old fart, I can see that  these "futuristic " design are just  1970' s design (  alfa carabo, lamborghini, etc..." )  😉 

On 12/21/2020 at 5:35 PM, Whats an aluminum falcon said:

Not even if it was free.   No place for this electric crap in my stable.   The “Green” aspect is laughably absurd,  recharged by either Coal or Nuke it’s what feeds our grid currently and for some time to come.  And where to begin on the Mining and processing of the rare earth ingredients in the non recyclable batteries. 

I will still be thrashing my gas powered shrubbery smasher in 12 years,  count on that.   How do I get an OEM replacement rechargeable battery for a moto out of production for 12 years ?

you mention a very good point about replacement years later !
For clean energy, of course it's not, but the rare earth used in it can be totally recycled... (petrol ? no recylcling)
An electric engine gives full torque from 0 rpm's too. Easy to program and adapt for any type of riding.

It's another way to buy and ride... In Europe, trails and enduro places are closing more and more. Free long and fast open spaces are not common,  Lots of guys switch to trials bikes, as they can use private places ( and trial bikes don't need big places to have fun ) Some enduro riders even use now the powerful electric MTB like segway x260 and others . Can go everywhere and have same fun...  But the transmission noise, argggggg. Can't stand it,  hearing a mouse singing an opera :( 

66 now, started riding motorcycles when I was 13, still riding motorcycles, own 9 motorcycles, love motorcycles, 2 x YR5 350 '71and '72, 2 x IT 175 H '81, IT 465H '81, TY 250 R '85, XR 400 '03, CRF 1000 L '16 and Beta X Trainer 2021. All motorcycles. All petrol powered and no ridiculous claims to using renewable energy. When a battery powered motorcycle can take me 100 miles and I can refuel in minutes just about anywhere on the planet and be on my way again, one of these may be of interest. Clue for me is in the name of our treasured possessions, motorcycles. Long may we enjoy them. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

19 hours ago, Skimmer said:

66 now, started riding motorcycles when I was 13, still riding motorcycles, own 9 motorcycles, love motorcycles, 2 x YR5 350 '71and '72, 2 x IT 175 H '81, IT 465H '81, TY 250 R '85, XR 400 '03, CRF 1000 L '16 and Beta X Trainer 2021. All motorcycles. All petrol powered and no ridiculous claims to using renewable energy. When a battery powered motorcycle can take me 100 miles and I can refuel in minutes just about anywhere on the planet and be on my way again, one of these may be of interest. Clue for me is in the name of our treasured possessions, motorcycles. Long may we enjoy them. 

Pretty sure only gas bike you listed there that can do over 100miles(but it's not even a trail bike) is the africa twin. Last time I checked most standard dirtbikes dont do more tha. 60 miles on a tank so why does everyone require that electric must go further? I get the rapid charging but a 2nd battery solves that issue. Most electric dirtbikes have fairly easily hot swappable batteries that can go 20-30 miles, bigger batteries could do more but add a little more weight. In my places of riding if we ride every trail available we will only do about 25miles so if I have two batteries I can do everything twice and each loop takes about 2hrs(which is also how long it takes to recharge to 80%from dead) so I could literally ride almost continuously as long as every 20miles make a stop back at camp. With that said we arent far off from being equal to traditional bikes on trails, street is another story so I dont think this particular bike is going to be the answer to that type of racing but to the average weekend rider like myself who never does more than 40miles in a day electric bikes are already good enough. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, mr.skywalker said:

Pretty sure only gas bike you listed there that can do over 100miles(but it's not even a trail bike) is the africa twin. Last time I checked most standard dirtbikes dont do more tha. 60 miles on a tank so why does everyone require that electric must go further? I get the rapid charging but a 2nd battery solves that issue. Most electric dirtbikes have fairly easily hot swappable batteries that can go 20-30 miles, bigger batteries could do more but add a little more weight. In my places of riding if we ride every trail available we will only do about 25miles so if I have two batteries I can do everything twice and each loop takes about 2hrs(which is also how long it takes to recharge to 80%from dead) so I could literally ride almost continuously as long as every 20miles make a stop back at camp. With that said we arent far off from being equal to traditional bikes on trails, street is another story so I dont think this particular bike is going to be the answer to that type of racing but to the average weekend rider like myself who never does more than 40miles in a day electric bikes are already good enough. 

I did one loop Monday, which we actually cut short, that was 64 miles. I rarely do less than 40 miles. Range is the key. 

32 minutes ago, GreatWhiteFire said:

I did one loop Monday, which we actually cut short, that was 64 miles. I rarely do less than 40 miles. Range is the key. 

Yep, out west, 50-75 miles with lots of elevation gain/loss is typical. Not unusual to do 100-125 depending on the groups aftermarket gas tank capacity, possible gas stops along the way, etc.

E-dirt bikes are a long way from being remotely competitive in the range dept with ICE dirt bikes out west.

I love my Alta, but ride it mainly locally at a friends property, 50 acres or so of single track goodness. Usually plan 1/2 day rides that are intense work outs, 15-20 miles and I've had more then enough.

Have had it out in the mountains a few times, have to plan 20-25 mile loops. Can recharge from zero to 100% in about 1.5 hrs with the 240V generator during a lunch break, then out for another 25 mile loop if I want, but its a completely different ride vs filling up the Husky tank and heading out for 75 miles in the morning and getting back whenever.

On the Alta I'm definitely limited on the loops that I can ride up in the mtns, takes a lot more planning then I'm used to.

I'm looking forward to real world 50+ mile range full sized e-dirt bikes. 100 miles would be even better of course. Someday.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

29 minutes ago, Woods_Rider said:

Yep, out west, 50-75 miles with lots of elevation gain/loss is typical. Not unusual to do 100-125 depending on the groups aftermarket gas tank capacity, possible gas stops along the way, etc.

E-dirt bikes are a long way from being remotely competitive in the range dept with ICE dirt bikes out west.

I love my Alta, but ride it mainly locally at a friends property, 50 acres or so of single track goodness. Usually plan 1/2 day rides that are intense work outs, 15-20 miles and I've had more then enough.

Have had it out in the mountains a few times, have to plan 20-25 mile loops. Can recharge from zero to 100% in about 1.5 hrs with the 240V generator during a lunch break, then out for another 25 mile loop if I want, but its a completely different ride vs filling up the Husky tank and heading out for 75 miles in the morning and getting back whenever.

On the Alta I'm definitely limited on the loops that I can ride up in the mtns, takes a lot more planning then I'm used to.

I'm looking forward to real world 50+ mile range full sized e-dirt bikes. 100 miles would be even better of course. Someday.

That 64 miles was 26k feet of gain/loss. There were a few hills haha. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mr.skywalker said:

This one can do 100 miles plus no bother, 22ltr Acerbis tank, I don't have to carry spare fuel, the whole world is equipped to refuel this. Not sure where you're going to carry a spare battery capable of taking you 100 miles nor where you might recharge, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

20191215_084040.jpg

1 hour ago, Truman Sparks said:

So they run out of charge in the dunes and this guy comes barreling thru:

Speed Bump.JPG

It wouldn't be able to come charging up where most ride in the UK, often knee deep in shit and miles from anywhere that lump could reach.

4 hours ago, mr.skywalker said:

Whatever you do, don't tell those that spent a kings ransom on an Africa Twin they didn't buy a trail bike. You'll be inundated with vids of guys up to their neck in the British countryside. 

I guess we all have different riding terrain and that's why I clarified in my post about the trails inside as that is a larger percentage of the country that has limited trails. Sure out west ride are alot longer but it's also a lot more flowing and open trails. Dual sports are far from ready(I have a zero fx so I have a good feel on that too) 

To put the trails I ride in perspective, I rode with a friend who had a crf250l(much lighter the the AT) and I had to ride it after he went down and I'd never want to ride a bike that heavy again. I was completely exhausted  after a 5 mile loop and never got past 2nd gear(90%was 1st gear) on the other hand my surron I can fling thru the same trails for 20-25 miles tapped out and 30-50 if I take it slow and run my range extender(essentially an oversized tank).

Solid state batteries are probably about 3-4 years out for use in EM's.  That will be when the weight and energy density of the battery in the EM's allow for 60-80 mile loops in the mountains.  It is mostly a matter of mass manufacturing solid state batteries at this point.  It isn't easy.  VW will probably be the first to market with mass produced solid state batteries for vehicles and then figure at least a year to make it into EM's.

On 12/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, Whats an aluminum falcon said:

Not even if it was free.   No place for this electric crap in my stable.   The “Green” aspect is laughably absurd,  recharged by either Coal or Nuke it’s what feeds our grid currently and for some time to come.  And where to begin on the Mining and processing of the rare earth ingredients in the non recyclable batteries. 

I will still be thrashing my gas powered shrubbery smasher in 12 years,  count on that.   How do I get an OEM replacement rechargeable battery for a moto out of production for 12 years ?

Hopefully, one day vehicle manufacturers will have a standardized, modular battery form-factor that can span several generations. Like RC cars. Or even vendor-specific but still common, like in cordless tools. You can power an RC car from the 90's, that was originally designed for NiCD cells, with the latest and greatest Lithium packs (notwithstanding lack of low voltage cut-off). You can also buy Lithium batteries for 18V-20V tools that came out 20 years ago with NiMH cells. There is no reason, other than marketing and customer rape, to not have that for bikes and cars. It would also help sell vehicles, if the customer knew that the bike he buys today with a 30min battery can be upgraded to a better tech battery 2 years from now to achieve 1hr runtime. 
Though with electric power trains not changing all that much, absence of replacement batteries might be the only thing pushing people to replace the product...

• Helpful 1

6 hours ago, nots0much said:

Hopefully, one day vehicle manufacturers will have a standardized, modular battery form-factor that can span several generations. Like RC cars. Or even vendor-specific but still common, like in cordless tools. You can power an RC car from the 90's, that was originally designed for NiCD cells, with the latest and greatest Lithium packs (notwithstanding lack of low voltage cut-off). You can also buy Lithium batteries for 18V-20V tools that came out 20 years ago with NiMH cells. There is no reason, other than marketing and customer rape, to not have that for bikes and cars. It would also help sell vehicles, if the customer knew that the bike he buys today with a 30min battery can be upgraded to a better tech battery 2 years from now to achieve 1hr runtime. 
Though with electric power trains not changing all that much, absence of replacement batteries might be the only thing pushing people to replace the product...

So far the only big mfg making a electric bike has done that,ktm  with their freeride can run the new or old battery in either model so they at least understand that concept. Zero has to some degree,and of the fx models after 2014 can use the latest and greatest cells (mine is a 2015 that has the newest 3.6 cells vs its original 2.7 cells). I think its something they do consider too in their design 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr.skywalker said:

So far the only big mfg making a electric bike has done that,ktm  with their freeride can run the new or old battery in either model so they at least understand that concept. Zero has to some degree,and of the fx models after 2014 can use the latest and greatest cells (mine is a 2015 that has the newest 3.6 cells vs its original 2.7 cells). I think its something they do consider too in their design 

That sidecar would be ideal attached to an E bike for carrying all your spare batteries and a generator and fuel for the genny. Long distance no problem.😉

19 minutes ago, Skimmer said:

That sidecar would be ideal attached to an E bike for carrying all your spare batteries and a generator and fuel for the genny. Long distance no problem.😉

It's not a bad idea but it's been done already, just a trailer instead of a sidecar 🤣

Edited by mr.skywalker

3 minutes ago, mr.skywalker said:

It's not a bad idea but it's been done already, just a trailer instead of a sidecar 🤣

Save us, that is fugly.

• Like 1