ThumperTalk

2021 T-Race Rally Pro Electric Motorcycle "100% Dakar Ready"

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Woods_Rider said:

I'm talking about being able to ride more places legally with an e-dirt bike that is basically treated like any other ICE dirt bike, except its very quiet.

The more riding areas comment I made is referring to being able to ride an e-dirt bike on private property without bothering neighbors vs riding a regular ICE dirt bike that might bother people with the noise. For the Alta crowd, I've been reading of guys who have backyard tracks or property where they limited their riding hours so they don't bother their neighbors with the noise, or they can't ride on their property at all. With their Altas they can ride whenever they like without annoying the neighbors. Some of them have bought e-mini dirt bikes for their kids too and they are loving it. 

Same goes for existing full sized moto tracks that are facing pressure from neighbors complaining about noise. A very common problem.

I think e-dirt bikes also open up the idea of urban tracks/riding areas. In King County where Seattle is, there are no legal tracks or ORV riding areas, but there are tons of dirt bike riders living there. Those peeps have to drive 1.5 - 2 hrs to get to the closest tracks or trails. An enterprising club or entrepreneur could open up a e-dirt bike only track/trails site on some former industrial site somewhere closer, or even, in the city. Another option is year 'round indoor e-dirt bike riding, perhaps in a mall or empty warehouse space. With the internet killing retail there are more and more spaces lying vacate around here.

E-dirt bikes could also help bring more people into the sport. They are super easy to learn to ride on, can be programmed to behave from mild to wild, are super reliable, and are overall less intimidating for beginners. Combine that with being able to ride them in places you could never ride a regular ICE dirt bike and I think it will be good for the sport.

I also think when e-dirt bikes have greater range and are more common, they will make it easier to keep existing trails from being shut down, and will make it easier to build new trails. Taking away the "noise and fumes" argument from the anti-orv crowd can only help keep trails open.

Lastly, I read about people on e-dirt bikes poaching mtn bike trails, riding in city parks, hitting under the radar riding areas, I'm not in favor of that, or any illegal riding for that matter. Besides being illegal, its paints all dirt bike riders with the same negative brush. We already have enough people that are anti dirt bikes, we don't need to give them additional ammo IMO.

Those are some awesome benefits and points for electric motorcycles. I especially like the idea of being able to ride on private land with neighbours close by. A little 3 acre lot in an acreage subdivision could easily have a track without any issues. That would be sweet and had never crossed my mind. 

Edited by G.P.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Skimmer said:

I re-read this topic again and for us in the UK and Europe there could be some possible drawbacks on an all electric bike. To ride trails (green lanes, byways to us) you have to have a road legal bike because we have to use public roads to get from one trail to another, then byways, green lanes, call them what you will are classed as public roads so you must comply with all the legal requirements to use. We have no OHV areas here and the other choice is enduro or MX on closed courses. To ride on blacktop roads the bike must be road legal, taxed, insured and MOT'd which is a once year legal requirement where if you fail this test you cannot tax and insure the bike. My question is how much more would the batteries be depleted when running lights which is a stipulation for any vehicle used on the roads here, our byways etc are classed as roads so require vehicles to be fully compliant with road traffic regulations as they stand. The bikes are fitted with lights and are not fitted with switches to chose whether to switch on or off when manufactured. Makes me wonder if they will be of any use to us at all to be honest.

Lights are insanely low draw compared to the power needed to move the bike. A quick calc based on the surron I own, if you have 2 led(20watts) lights continuously running it would run for 100hrs if you didn't move the bike at all. It's not like a standard battery that has crazy low capacity for Ah. When it comes to making them street legal it takes nothing to just stick a few lights on the massive battery source. Zero doesnt even run led lights on theirs and no one ever complains about the lights reducing range

19 hours ago, Woods_Rider said:

The Alta EX/EXR is a fully street legal dual sport style dirt bike, some of the Alta owners are in the UK and are loving them. On the Alta owners forum we get regular inquiries from people in Europe who are looking for used Altas to import.

The battery drain and impact on range is minimal from the street legal LED lights, a complete non-issue from what I have read from the Alta EXR owners.

I would expect the same situation if Honda, KTM, Yamaha, etc, ever releases a street legal dual sport style e-dirt bike.

So, yes, they are of great use to the Alta EXR owners in the UK and other European countries that own them, and love them.

You may be missing my point, noise reduction I get it, but here we have to do more miles on the road to connect trails, to do a 150 mile day we likely do 60-70% on roads and if you want to stay reasonably safe you need to travel at 50-60mph on main roads. I can only use the Alta advert as an example but think that with 1.9Kwh battery this couldn't be sustained. I would like to move around the countryside in almost silence but. I generally cover around 20,000 miles a year on and off road but myself and anyone I've asked have yet to come across an Ebike on our travels. Can definitely see the advantages on private land where noise would be an issue but here 99% of bike riders don't have access to small parcels of private land.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:20 AM, Skimmer said:

You may be missing my point, noise reduction I get it, but here we have to do more miles on the road to connect trails, to do a 150 mile day we likely do 60-70% on roads and if you want to stay reasonably safe you need to travel at 50-60mph on main roads. I can only use the Alta advert as an example but think that with 1.9Kwh battery this couldn't be sustained. I would like to move around the countryside in almost silence but. I generally cover around 20,000 miles a year on and off road but myself and anyone I've asked have yet to come across an Ebike on our travels. Can definitely see the advantages on private land where noise would be an issue but here 99% of bike riders don't have access to small parcels of private land.

You are correct, the bikes that have the 100-150mile range are not bikes you would want on true singletrack. I think Zero the DSR with 14kw battery but its into the full adventure bike weight and the light weight FX from them is already heavy with just 7.2kw battery but I get about 70miles on a charge on street if I stay under 60mph and mostly around 35-45

21 hours ago, mr.skywalker said:

You are correct, the bikes that have the 100-150mile range are not bikes you would want on true singletrack. I think Zero the DSR with 14kw battery but its into the full adventure bike weight and the light weight FX from them is already heavy with just 7.2kw battery but I get about 70miles on a charge on street if I stay under 60mph and mostly around 35-45

Your honesty is appreciated. 👍

I'm absolutely all for new and inventive ways to do things.

Just keep your filthy commie hands off my wallet in the process. 

Ride on!

On 12/21/2020 at 3:12 PM, Le_Racer said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BMEr-BvaAo

They raced the Merzouga Rally in 2012 with the Tacita T-Race. They where hot-swapping battery packs and had to do shorther "fueling" stages. Patrick still had a few occasion that he ran out of juice in the dunes then.  At the Dakar I believe the clean energy category is running differents rules regarding "fueling-stops" vs the usual classes.

So they're not as good then........