Sprint Enduro Series calls it quits

https://enduro21.com/en/racing/latest/fg-sprint-enduro/full-gas-sprint-enduro-series-organisers-call-time?fbclid=IwAR0TubZguKYq8riF7S72DfUesKf95bWHUOeK145GHTvV1p1kjZ5LocnMMt0

Full Gas Sprint Enduro Series organisers call time

21 December 2020 | FG Sprint Enduro

Hooper Media, the parent company of the Full Gas Sprint Enduro Series, have called time on the race championship which has played a fundamental role in Team USA’s ISDE success in recent years – no plans to continue in the future they say.

When the news reached Enduro21 over the weekend from the Hooper Media team that they would no longer continue the FG Sprint Enduro series it was like a small bubble had popped in the world enduro.

The Sprint Enduro Series arrived with a one-off event in 2014 and attracted America’s top ISDE riders who both championed the race format and continued to use the series as preparation for their hugely successful International Six Days Enduro (ISDE) team performances in recent years.

But promoting and staging the race series, which grew to first five then eight-rounds, is not an easy one and it seems the team, headed up by Jason Hooper, have taken the difficult decision to pull the plug.

“This wasn’t an easy decision to make by any stretch,” said series founder Jason Hooper. “The series has grown beyond anything we could’ve expected when we did our first one-off event back in 2014.

“Promoting this type of event requires an incredible amount of work that we’ve always tackled with a small but mighty crew, but that work and stress has taken its toll culminating at this point where no longer promoting the series is the right move for my family and myself,” he concluded.

FG Sprint Enduro rounds have served as club team ISDE qualifiers every year since 2015, and with many of the USA men’s and Women’s Trophy Team and Junior team riders competing in the series, the Team USA efforts dramatically improved at the International Six Days Enduro culminating with Trophy and Women’s Team wins in 2019. The series founders are proud to have played a small part in that massive accomplishment by providing a series for riders to sharpen their special test skills, something that wasn’t available anywhere else in the USA at the time.

In a press release, Hooper Media add, “The Full Gas Series and its founders would like to thank all of the riders who participated in the series over the last six years as well as our series sponsors, both past and current, as well as the many workers who helped put on the events.”

Enduro21 wishes the very best to all involved.

• Sad 1

Bummer.  I wish there were more enduros close to me.  Most of the stuff within a reasonable driving distance is hare scrambles.  I prefer the enduro format of starting on a row, without the mad dash to the first turn that isn't unusual to end with some broken bikes and broken people.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, redrider144 said:

Bummer.  I wish there were more enduros close to me.  Most of the stuff within a reasonable driving distance is hare scrambles.  I prefer the enduro format of starting on a row, without the mad dash to the first turn that isn't unusual to end with some broken bikes and broken people.

?? A true "enduro" is by far my favorite. Many like the simpler format of the spring type but it is nothing more than a race where 95% have no chance of winning. Always a shame to see any series fold though, not good for the sport.

Edited by Piney Woods

22 minutes ago, Johnny Whitey said:

Timekeeper enduros are the best, just try thinking, focusing on numbers, adding and subtracting while exhausted.  The first 50 mile loop is one thing, the second loop challenges the brain.

I don't know if I consider having to purposely slow down so you don't make it somewhere too fast racing. They can call it that if they want to but I don't know how far into their "racing" fantasy I am supposed to play.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Helpful 1

8 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

I don't know if I consider having to purposely slow down so you don't make it somewhere too fast racing. They can call it that if they want to but I don't know how far into their "racing" fantasy I am supposed to play.

Or even more lame, sitting around the corner from the checkpoint and waiting for time to pass. 

3 minutes ago, indy rider said:

Or even more lame, sitting around the corner from the checkpoint and waiting for time to pass. 

Sometimes you see people do that at harescrambles because they know if they wait a few more minutes the time will expire and they won't have to do another lap after the cross the finish. I saw a guy on a rm250 do it next to some spectators and while he was sitting there some old lady gave him shit until he yelled F$%^ it and gassed through the finish line before time expired and did another lap.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zinergy said:

Sometimes you see people do that at harescrambles because they know if they wait a few more minutes the time will expire and they won't have to do another lap after the cross the finish. I saw a guy on a rm250 do it next to some spectators and while he was sitting there some old lady gave him shit until he yelled F$%^ it and gassed through the finish line before time expired and did another lap.

I get a kick out of the guys that pull over half way through the first lap to take a break...right in the middle of the trail. Funny thing is that most are dressed head to toe in orange and sitting on a shiny new orange bike.

The bike might be ready to race but they sure aren't. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Zinergy said:

Balls deep

• Haha 1

Classic Enduro's aren't considered a "race".  They are a time keeping event.  In fact that is how a lot of them are allowed to run on land where racing is not allowed. 

That said I've run a few on a post enter, where sections were so chewed up I about houred out, and still placed in the top three, by staying on the gas the whole way through.  Others I've post entered just for the awesome 80 mile trail ride, where almost every one (save the Honamakawazuki bike riders) are all headed in the same direction.

It does take some intelligence though, so I can see how many wouldn't find it enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correct, an enduro is not a race. It was intended to be an endurance event but the pussification of the US has made that idea a little too old fashioned. Fitness, the ability to ride and think and then endure through pain or tough conditions for MANY miles is just too much for most these days. Sad and actually kind of embarrassing. I very much enjoy HS, Sprint enduros, DS and just plain trail riding but my greatest memories are of long ago EPIC enduros.

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Correct, an enduro is not a race. It was intended to be an endurance event but the pussification of the US has made that idea a little too old fashioned. Fitness, the ability to ride and think and then endure through pain or tough conditions for MANY miles is just too much for most these days. Sad and actually kind of embarrassing. I very much enjoy HS, Sprint enduros, DS and just plain trail riding but my greatest memories are of long ago EPIC enduros.

‘Ought Six Enduro

Cascade, Montana E88A45FA-04B2-4135-8898-D0271F6B2B76.jpeg.6942daf6a7d61fabf3c3bb6d746691a9.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Just watched some youtube video of that enduro, awesome terrain. You guys are blessed!

They shut it down a couple of years ago, so I'm glad I got a chance to enjoy that place! 

We were on an early minute one year, and I had Mule deer and Big Horn Sheep scrambling off of the trail!!!:shocked: