YZ250FX 2020 YZ250FX reviews, tips, issues, pros, cons.

Made this thread to see what everyone thinks and how everyone likes there 2020+ yz250fxs. Any concerns, problems, tricks, tips, pros, cons, improvements etc. are appreciated.

I bought a used 2020 with 7 hours and have been nothing but satisfied, I’ve read a lot about starting issues and I haven’t had any after 3 rides on it already. Starts up every time, some quicker then others but no issues and never stranded. Always riding mx bikes on the trails this is my first more xc or trail oriented bike aside from my 350 xcf (for sale) and I truly love the suspension and extra perks they provide, the gear box is something I’m not used to but it’s growing on me quickly. Might go down a tooth or two in the future. 1st gear will climb a wall it’s so short, but I rarely use it anyway and when I do need it it will pull nicely. I’ve also compared the older gen to the new one. My cousin has a 2015 and it’s an amazing bike, but the 2020 is definitely snappier and revs to the moon, still very identical other wise in the power department. Feels slimmer and nimbler as well. 

if you guys have any pictures, info, experiences with your fx I’d love to see and hear it all whether it’s bad or good. 

god bless, stay healthy, happy holidays, and ride on 👍 looking forward to seeing and hearing more about this amazing machine

this picture was the day bought it, hand guards and protection parts on the way

03713C22-92BF-4AA3-99F7-83FA63F2BF9C.jpeg

• Like 3

Congrats, good score!  Tons of info here in a few threads over the last year including suspension and mapping.   The reflash of the ECU to the latest specs is free and I highly recommend you get it.  It IS rich stock and perfect when fixed.  Another must do is get the NoToil superflow kit ($40 ish) as the stock flat filter setup is questionable.  Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

3 hours ago, GP said:

Congrats, good score!  Tons of info here in a few threads over the last year including suspension and mapping.   The reflash of the ECU to the latest specs is free and I highly recommend you get it.  It IS rich stock and perfect when fixed.  Another must do is get the NoToil superflow kit ($40 ish) as the stock flat filter setup is questionable.  Enjoy!

I appreciate the advice, how do I red lash the ecu or do you know of a thread I should look for ? Also what difference did you notice with both ecu and air filter set up. The suspension so far is the best I’ve ridden, I’ve never paid and got suspension revalved either so I’m gonna keep it stock for now but I wouldn’t mind a tiny bit softer either. 

The closest Yamaha dealer will need to reflash the ECU using a special tool they have. As mentioned I would have them do that or check that it was done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YZPauly said:

I appreciate the advice, how do I red lash the ecu or do you know of a thread I should look for ? Also what difference did you notice with both ecu and air filter set up. The suspension so far is the best I’ve ridden, I’ve never paid and got suspension revalved either so I’m gonna keep it stock for now but I wouldn’t mind a tiny bit softer either. 

The ECU firmware update corrects a rich base map condition mostly in the idle trim area.  They also tweaked timing slightly to aid hot starting.  The filter kit is just a more positive internal cage bolt down system.  The stock filter can allow dirt past if it's dirty and vibrates on the backfire screen.  This kit eliminates that and is way better. Not so much about performance as reliability.  Suspension is going to be relative to your terrain and speed, no one answer, but most including myself find it much too stiff for eastern woods, even racing.  

• Like 3

On 12/23/2020 at 10:49 PM, YZPauly said:

I appreciate the help fellas, I’m gonna look into all those things for sure. 

Your owners manual has great info on susp adjusting info.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

Great bike, if I ever run up on one that is a good buy, might just have to have it, 

I’ve ridden a lot of bikes I’m my day, this bike gets the most traction I’ve ever experienced, the gearing is insane, 3rd gear feels like second and just doesn’t stop pulling ! Really a sweet bike, would pair well with a smoker in the garage !

also, don’t be scared to get the previous generation. The 1st year 2015 rides great and has no issues starting. It has more bottom end and is a tiny bit less revvy to the 2020 which can be better for trail riding. You will not be disappointed with an older one as well. 

Edited by YZPauly
  • Like 1

Good information Pauly, all I have ever ridden on trail is MX bikes, love them, but at my age, this sounds like the perfect bike, I purchased a new 2020 YZ 250 , 2 smoke, just like the old school feel, sold the YZ 450,  maybe I can get a test ride on one, one day, I had a 1989 YZ 250 WR, would top out at 96 MPH on hard packed dirt, awesome bike. 

YZ 250 WR 1989.jpg

Edited by foxtrot722
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

Good information Pauly, all I have ever ridden on trail is MX bikes, love them, but at my age, this sounds like the perfect bike, I purchased a new 2020 YZ 250 , 2 smoke, just like the old school feel, sold the YZ 450,  maybe I can get a test ride on one, one day, I had a 1989 YZ 250 WR, would top out at 96 MPH on hard packed dirt, awesome bike. 

YZ 250 WR 1989.jpg

Did you get the X model? It’s an awesome bike

12 hours ago, Kaw751 said:

Did you get the X model? It’s an awesome bike

No sir, it's not the X model. 

Great looking machine!

there’s something about those blue rims that gives me wood... I wish mine looked that good... PO let them fade and didn’t take care of it very well

He will be hung at the town square later in the week... turd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

YZ 250 WR 1989.jpg

You will not be disappointed, this things lugs pretty good if you want to but also revs to the moon, truly the best of both worlds. Very user friendly!

8 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

Great looking machine!

there’s something about those blue rims that gives me wood... I wish mine looked that good... PO let them fade and didn’t take care of it very well

He will be hung at the town square later in the week... turd

I’m not too big on the blue rims I usually prefer silver or black but these are starting to grow on me!!!!

On 12/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, YZPauly said:

I’m not too big on the blue rims I usually prefer silver or black but these are starting to grow on me!!!!

Same here, getting used to the blue, but I think black would look better

Edited by foxtrot722
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

Same here, getting used to the blue, but I think black wood look better

They all eventually get more silver if your ride a lot of rocks!  
Yes the motor is awesome, and the traction as was said.  Very strong but civilized for an MX based 250F.  I did a death march of a sprint enduro this fall, total mudder, like struggle to stay upright.  Mellow map and patience saved so much energy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GP said:

Yes the motor is awesome, and the traction as was said.  Very strong but civilized for an MX based 250F.  I did a death march of a sprint enduro this fall, total mudder, like struggle to stay upright.  Mellow map and patience saved so much energy.

And electric start, no doubt 

21 hours ago, GP said:

Yes the motor is awesome, and the traction as was said.  Very strong but civilized for an MX based 250F.  I did a death march of a sprint enduro this fall, total mudder, like struggle to stay upright.  Mellow map and patience saved so much 

dented my left radiator yesterday right before my braces came in. What do you guys recommend for replacement ? It still works but bugs the shit out of me everything out of wack and want the braces to fit correctly to prevent that again. Also will a front radiator cage fit with the works connection side braces? Any input is appreciated.

18 hours ago, YZPauly said:

I got Mylers for my F... from RM they’re $150/side (I think) and I got braces too... took a little to get everything to line up but they seem to be rock solid now

i cannot comment on the guards/shrouds as I am using the polisport OE replacement louvers

• Like 1