blaine gravagna

Nikasil Replate or no ?

Hard to say with pictures.  Can you catch a nail or pick on any of the scratches?  Was the piston oversize? IMO if the piston shattered the bottom end needs to come apart to make sure bearings and seals aren't damaged, and I would go for a replate.  I don't like having to redo work because I tried saving a little.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

8 hours ago, Kinger317 said:

I believe that cylinder has been sleeved. Get a new piston, bore it hone it. local shop should be able to set you up.

It does look like sleeve and without and blending or matching of the sleeve ports to the cylinder ports.

• Like 1

If it's financially feasable......then yes of course replate it for 100% sure. Then you know. I mean you really know and not speculating on the state of your cylinder.  Send to mellenium aka Tom Morgan for the job. You'll get top grade pro level work done to your top. 

Edited by Robert S
Spelling

1 hour ago, YZDOC said:

Already a steel sleeve, so clean, hone, next up piston, run it. 

How can I tell that it’s been sleeved? @YZDOC

3 hours ago, mlatour said:

Guys, look carefully before suggesting a replate, that cylinder is already sleeved.

How can I tell that it’s been sleeved? @mlatour

Look at the metal transition edge inside the ports. The bore and initial surface in the ports are continuous, then an obvious line transitions to a different metal surface. That is the outer edge of the sleeve meeting the bored out cylinder. And not very cleanly at that. It’s definitely sleeved.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

12 hours ago, blaine gravagna said:

How can I tell that it’s been sleeved? @YZDOC

How can I tell that it’s been sleeved? @mlatour

3 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

Look at bottom of cylinder, easy to see. Circled is a 2 piece(sleeved)

@blaine gravagna

Screenshot_20201226-072732~3.png

Screenshot_20201226-072827~2.png

This, and get a magnet. 

• Like 1

Light hone / properly sized piston and ring. Easy. I would smooth down a couple of those rough edges on the ports... but lets not get into that here. =] You could send the cylinder to a pro and have him spend an hour sizing things up, getting a proper piston and maybe a little cylinder magic. It would make that thing sing like it was meant to. And be worth every penny.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

Look at Item# 402587234817 on Ebay. Those ad photos show a cylinder not sleeved. Your cylinder has been bored and sleeved. KenOconnorRacing.com can do a professional job from whatever you choose from his list of work he does.