Michigan Outdoor life

YZ250X Brand new yz250x will not start!

Hey everybody first time owner of dirtbike. 2 stroke specifically. I bought 2021 250x on Christmas Eve, two days ago. Bike was obviously kept inside. Got home after an hour out in cold with bike. 18 farenheit. It fired up about 8th kick. Choked out after about 20 seconds. Rode for 40 minutes per break in. Anyway. Now It started 3 times yesterday at 20 degrees after storing in my shed but kept stalling out. Now I've tried adjusting pilot air screw and it was 28 farenheit tonight, won't start at all. In last two days I must have kicked her 100 times. Now I've brought it into my kitchen. I was hoping to use this during winter. Please advise if this is normal. Warranty is only 30 days. Will see if it starts tmrw night after being heated all day and night. 

IMG_20201226_203203066.jpg

IMG_20201224_111433409.jpg

• Like 1

They come jetted too rich and you've most likely fouled a plug already. Put a new one in and it'll start right up. Put in a leaner pilot jet. 

• Like 10
  • Helpful 2

I would change the plug and ask your dealer what jetting they recommend. I can't imagine that bike would run worth a darn with stock jetting in those temps.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Michigan Outdoor life said:

😀 I just had to have a beer and find the right wrench got her right out

Hey congrats on the new bike, your gonna love it!

Another thing is when flooding is suspected after kicking several times with no start, hold throttle wide open when kicking, no choke. What elevation are you at on top of the cold temps?

• Like 2

Take it back to the dealer asap.  BEFORE you just mess it up.  Tell them your story.  Let them solve it and tell you why...  And how to use the bike going forward.

If you listen to the internet then you deserve what you get.  Take it back to the dealer. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Is this a bad time to mention that the steering and rear suspension will need to be disassembled so that all bearings can be properly greased before doing any serious riding?

Edited by CaptDan
Clarification.
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Michigan Outdoor life said:

Hey everybody first time owner of dirtbike. 2 stroke specifically. I bought 2021 250x on Christmas Eve, two days ago. Bike was obviously kept inside. Got home after an hour out in cold with bike. 18 farenheit. It fired up about 8th kick. Choked out after about 20 seconds. Rode for 40 minutes per break in. Anyway. Now It started 3 times yesterday at 20 degrees after storing in my shed but kept stalling out. Now I've tried adjusting pilot air screw and it was 28 farenheit tonight, won't start at all. In last two days I must have kicked her 100 times. Now I've brought it into my kitchen. I was hoping to use this during winter. Please advise if this is normal. Warranty is only 30 days. Will see if it starts tmrw night after being heated all day and night. 

IMG_20201226_203203066.jpg

IMG_20201224_111433409.jpg

As someone else said , they come a touch rich . Put a new plug in it ...and dont choke it . The bottom end is probably loaded up so it may smoke like crazy for a minute . I'm in an area where lows are maybe 36-40 degrees . Mine will load up if I kick it 3 times with the choke on . Once you get used to the starting drill ....it'll fire every time . 

• Like 1

Typically, rich jetting is a good thing in winter riding. As an avid ice racer, you'd be suprised at the jet sizes I run. Lack of traction and or riding in deep snow can cause the piston to get quite hot. I have seen many melted pistons at 1/2 miles -0 F deg.

Get some good Ice tires and get them studded by a pro, you'll have a blast!

18 minutes ago, stevesmotorcity said:

Typically, rich jetting is a good thing in winter riding. As an avid ice racer, you'd be suprised at the jet sizes I run. Lack of traction and or riding in deep snow can cause the piston to get quite hot. I have seen many melted pistons at 1/2 miles -0 F deg.

Get some good Ice tires and get them studded by a pro, you'll have a blast!

The dense , heavy air , no doubt takes a bigger jet