SuperboyAustin

Just got a 2002 wr426f and it won’t start.

I bought an 02 wr426f yesterday and now it won’t start. When I was looking at it, it started perfectly and the guy said he drained it right before. On the first kick it started for him. Now I can’t start it. I’m new to compression but I kinda get it. I’ve kicked it so many times and only got it to start up once but it died right after. I’ve put new gas in it and completely drained the old gas. What could be the issue? It’s tuned for higher elevation so maybe that’s the issue? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

IF you flood the bike it’s almost impossible to start it.  To clear a flooded cylinder do this.  Turn the peacock off, hold the kill switch the entire time you “slowly” and methodically kick the bike, do not kick it fast and forcefully, nice and slow and deliberate, all the way three the stroke, do this about 10-15 times. This will evacuate the chamber of the gas inside the cylinder.  Turn pet cock back on and try starting again. Make sure kick lever is at top seat center to get the most out compression. No gas when kicking is the norm BUT some bikes need a bit of throttle. Depends on the bike.  
All bikes are different and it takes time to learn how to start ur bike.  

Edited by Bill_B

And don’t forget, the spark plug could be fouled. If it looks nasty, and is gas soaked, it  needs replaced. If you don’t have a spare, you can use a lighter, bottle torch or something similar to burn it off. And don’t be afraid to get it hot. If it’s nasty, you wanna see some smoke.

Lots of youtube videos on the topic.  It can be a challenging bike to start until you get the routine down.  The 426 requires a magical touch to start, but once you get it you'll be fine and will be able to start just about anything!  I just sold my 426 after 16 years for a newer model.  In all those years I never fouled a plug, even though I flooded it a few.  Follow the above to clear it out.  When cold, open the choke, hold the comp-release and cycle the starter a couple of times and then bring it up to TDC.  Push the lever down until you feel the cylinder start turn over and then come back up on the starter and give a firm kick all the way through the motion.  Remember it's not a two-stroke, so you aren't going to do a bunch of kicks in rapid succession... you have to reset each time.  Watch some videos and you'll get it.

If you get tired of the starting "drill", I believe some people were putting in auto decompression cams to make starting easier.

• Like 1