ckny

Walker signs with Factory Beta

18 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

After reading about it on TT, doesn't Beta need to make better quality electronics and harnesses to reduce KTM 2T market dominance?

No no, hadn't you noticed? Every KTM TPI bike has exploded into bits.

41 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

Hiring the best riders wins races and sells bikes...but, the small Euro brands have to develop a reputation for reliability to achieve 'market dominance'.

As evidenced by how many more SUVs Acura and Lexus sell than BMW and Mercedes.

I have enough friends at the local track I can ride just about anything out there, but Beta Sherco TM and the old Gas Gas aren't ever out their so they are all a mystery to me.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, mxaniac said:

People still remember Babe Ruth or Jack Dempsey because they were in mature mainstream sports.  MX didn't start flourishing until the 60s, much of that due to technology development. So Bengt Aberg (spelling?) is probably one of the earlier riders from when the sport was becoming established.  But MX is still a niche sport, and has never really become part of the mainstream culture.  Jeremy changed that some in the US, I can't really speak for Europe where they had a big headstart.  Since the younger generations would rather play Xbox, I don't see any of this changing.  Perhaps eSports stars on Twitch will become the cultural icons.  Basketball and football is shrinking too, certainly hollywood is losing its luster.  Pop divas still seem to be big in our culture though, ugh.

I don't think many know who Jack Dempsey was. Babe Ruth yes but that is because team sports keep traditions and records going, individual sports not so much.

Not many know who Jean Claude Killy (skiing) was or even Mark Spitz (swimming) was and those were Olympic sports icons at one time. And they were dominates and impacted their sports tremendously.

Once the records are eclipsed in individual sports it is typically off to the dustbin of history. Some individual sports like track have tremendous athletes who hardly get known to begin with like Usain Bolt. The are exceptions like Ali, but I bet few know who Franz Klammer or even Alberto Tomba was, maybe @XR_Kev does or some other old guys who remember when sports like skiing and moto were growing in popularity in the US, and kids actually wanted to do them just for the fun of it.

BTW basketball is growing a lot internationally. I think Yao Ming is somehow involved in Chinese b-ball and it is growing there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chaconne said:

I don't think many know who Jack Dempsey was. Babe Ruth yes but that is because team sports keep traditions and records going, individual sports not so much.

Not many know who Jean Claude Killy (skiing) was or even Mark Spitz (swimming) was and those were Olympic sports icons at one time. And they were dominates and impacted their sports tremendously.

Once the records are eclipsed in individual sports it is typically off to the dustbin of history. Some individual sports like track have tremendous athletes who hardly get known to begin with like Usain Bolt. The are exceptions like Ali, but I bet few know who Franz Klammer or even Alberto Tomba was, maybe @XR_Kev does or some other old guys who remember when sports like skiing and moto were growing in popularity in the US, and kids actually wanted to do them just for the fun of it.

BTW basketball is growing a lot internationally. I think Yao Ming is somehow involved in Chinese b-ball and it is growing there.

Tomba was an ANIMAL!!!!2020-02-27-alberto-tomba-thumbnail.jpg.415082fe423f00f51cbd041d3fe59003.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chaconne said:

Klammer = Hannenkahm

Tomba, wasn't he the guy that would do a shot of espresso in the start house?

I think Killy was at the 1972 World Cup held at Crystal Mountain, Wa. My mom and sis were oohing and ahing over the Frenchman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tye Durden said:

Klammer = Hannenkahm

Tomba, wasn't he the guy that would do a shot of espresso in the start house?

I think Killy was at the 1972 World Cup held at Crystal Mountain, Wa. My mom and sis were oohing and ahing over the Frenchman.

I think 1972 was Pro Circuit wasn't it? Or maybe he was just at Crystal as a spectator?

Also I sort of remember one year where Klammer got hurt riding a dirtbike IIRC.

1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

I think 1972 was Pro Circuit wasn't it? Or maybe he was just at Crystal as a spectator?

Also I sort of remember one year where Klammer got hurt riding a dirtbike IIRC.

Never heard about the dirbike thing but I don't doubt it.

Floating around my house somewhere...

1972CMworldcup.jpg.a33fec45e5ec8023c3c5def12bc74c68.jpg

From the Crystal Mtn. 50th Anniversary book in my family room.  Nice shot of Killy in a Crystal bib so I'd say he raced.

IMG_3199.thumb.jpeg.6de445448b2c03cc237c7947b7b90a8a.jpeg

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tye Durden said:

Never heard about the dirbike thing but I don't doubt it.

Floating around my house somewhere...

1972CMworldcup.jpg.a33fec45e5ec8023c3c5def12bc74c68.jpg

From the Crystal Mtn. 50th Anniversary book in my family room.  Nice shot of Killy in a Crystal bib so I'd say he raced.

IMG_3199.thumb.jpeg.6de445448b2c03cc237c7947b7b90a8a.jpeg

Wow those are some wicked cool pics.  Maybe Killy was got a special seed for that event.

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&competitorid=64514&raceid=8432

In his prime he was pretty much a guaranteed top 5.

Edited by Chaconne
  • Like 1

Looks effortless which makes the bike look good also. Still so young, I hope he recovers his earlier fitness/form. I give the Beta guys a hard time but the sport does need some bikes at the top that don't come from one factory. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Looks effortless which makes the bike look good also. Still so young, I hope he recovers his earlier fitness/form. I give the Beta guys a hard time but the sport does need some bikes at the top that don't come from one factory. 

Image stabilizing camera helps. 

Walker is a new for Beta hard enduro guy. He’s great..   But really I didn’t realize till the last round of world enduro gp. how amazing Brad Freeman and Steve Holcombe are in brutal conditions. They’re blazing fast !!! This is one of a few vids from Portugal that impressed.  Holcombe and Freeman were straight on another level than everyone else. I think both could be winning hard enduro if that was their bag but it’s a different kind of racing that they prefer. 
Portugal was a mess but then I got to see how great the 2 world champion Beta riders are in brutal conditions. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

Maybe Pol Tarres will smoke Jonny on his new 15 year old YZ😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Considering the injuries; does Walker have the strength and durability for the very top level. He is tiny.