ChaseLGator

Negotiating with dealerships

So I want to buy a new 2021 yz 125. I will be paying in all cash which will help, and the bike on Yamaha’s website is $6,599. What should I be paying out the door, considering it’s all cash? The dealership I will be going to is a pretty big dealership, so I would assume they get the bikes for a good price. Would it be possible to pay below MSRP including dealership fees? Or would my best bet be trying to get it for $6600 and how do I go about talking them down, because I do not want to pay hundreds in bs dealership fees

Good luck. There is very little margin in a $6600 dirt bike. You may be able to catch a small break on the other fees. But, don't hold your breath.

Btw, the cash thing is a myth. They hate cash. They want you to finance it, they get a kickback.

• Like 10
  • Helpful 1

The definitely hate you paying cash, but I got a pretty good amount off of my ‘20 TE300 from my dealer. Good dealers will deal. 

1 minute ago, 69fastback said:

The definitely hate you paying cash, but I got a pretty good amount off of my ‘20 TE300 from my dealer. Good dealers will deal. 

Your Husky was probably 2x the price of the YZ. Bigger margin to deal with.

1 minute ago, BOAB said:

Your Husky was probably 2x the price of the YZ. Bigger margin to deal with.

I payed less than $2K more than the price he mentioned for the YZ. 

I payed less than $2K more than the price he mentioned for the YZ. 

Was it the previous year model?

1 minute ago, BOAB said:

Was it the previous year model?

Nope. I took delivery July 3rd, 2019. First ‘20 off the truck. 

Bikes are selling fast right now and depends on your location. If your in a area that the economy is doing good don't expect a dealer to lower the price. It's a seller's market. If you can get it for msrp without any added fees you've done ok. Couple hundred off you've done great. My local dealers are selling them as fast as they come in.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Nope. I took delivery July 3rd, 2019. First ‘20 off the truck. 

Then you got lucky. And pre covid.

Edited by BOAB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BOAB said:

Then you got lucky. And pre covid.

I wouldn’t say lucky. Good dealers do things for good customers, and we have a great dealer in north Texas. 

Just now, 69fastback said:

I wouldn’t say lucky. Good dealers do things for good customers, and we have a great dealer in north Texas. 

Like another poster mentioned, its a different day. Anything to do with outdoors is selling fast. Try to find a mountain bike. Or a popular dirt bike. Even a fricking kayak this past fall. I was just shopping for hiking boots, good luck with that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOAB said:

Like another poster mentioned, its a different day. Anything to do with outdoors is selling fast. Try to find a mountain bike. Or a popular dirt bike. Even a fricking kayak this past fall. I was just shopping for hiking boots, good luck with that.

I get that, but I went into my dealer yesterday to buy those dreaded TPI filters and talked to him about preordering a ‘22. Sounds like I can get the same deal again if I decide to do it. I know that maybe it isn’t the norm, but there are dealers out there that will deal. 

Just now, BOAB said:

Yep anything thats for outdoor recreation is selling out. 

5 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

If he had a good dealer with a relationship the OP would be on here asking for help.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Singletrack_rider said:

Yep anything thats for outdoor recreation is selling out. 

If he had a good dealer with a relationship the OP would be on here asking for help.

That seems like quite the assumption, and really doesn’t matter in the sense that I’m just relaying my personal experience, considering that’s what he asked for, and letting it be known that there are good dealers out there, so if you don’t get the deal you want, keep looking. But, okay 👍

Posted (edited)

Your best bet is to get pictures of the owner hooking up with that chick that isn't his wife.  Huge discounts on a bike for a nice 8x10 glossy.  Probably damn near free if you want. 

Edited by crypto666
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, ChaseLGator said:

So I want to buy a new 2021 yz 125. I will be paying in all cash which will help, and the bike on Yamaha’s website is $6,599. What should I be paying out the door, considering it’s all cash? The dealership I will be going to is a pretty big dealership, so I would assume they get the bikes for a good price. Would it be possible to pay below MSRP including dealership fees? Or would my best bet be trying to get it for $6600 and how do I go about talking them down, because I do not want to pay hundreds in bs dealership fees

All dealers pay the same price for bikes. Tell the dealer you don't want to pay BS fees.

Posted (edited)

Out the door price — taxes, fees, etc. at or just below MSRP consider it a good deal.  Everyone has to make a living.  There isn't anything wrong with a dealer making a little money.  Don’t think a dealer makes $3000 on the sale of a $6500 bike (more like 10-20% at most depending on the model).  They make a higher margin on parts and service.  You want to save money over the life of your bike — learn how to do your own maintenance.

Edited by R1peacock
  • Like 3

some places dont charge set up and other fees. theirs a few dealers in NYC that do this. these are wherhouse sized places that sell alot of bikes. if you pay sticker price and tax then you did ok. dont tell them your paying cash until you settle on a price. try to settle on a price while their doing a credit check then that them you changed your mind and want to pay cash. they wont be happy but it will be hard for them to backtrack. remember the salesperson isnt your friend, he/she wants to get as much money out of your pocket as possible. when you sign the papers look closely. this is where the hidden fees are.

• Helpful 1

In these Covid times, bikes, RV, campers, guns, boats etc are all selling like mad. Dealers are not swinging much on price, if at all. If you don't buy the bike, someone else will be in tomorrow to buy it.

There is not much margin on new bikes. There is profit in financing, paying cash hurts the deal. There is profit in accessories. So if you want a discount, buy stuff for the bike (bashplates, disk guards, wrap-around hand guards etc, or new helmets, pants, boots, etc. Do it as a bundled deal and you'll get a break.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

In these Covid times, bikes, RV, campers, guns, boats etc are all selling like mad. Dealers are not swinging much on price, if at all. If you don't buy the bike, someone else will be in tomorrow to buy it.

There is not much margin on new bikes. There is profit in financing, paying cash hurts the deal. There is profit in accessories. So if you want a discount, buy stuff for the bike (bashplates, disk guards, wrap-around hand guards etc, or new helmets, pants, boots, etc. Do it as a bundled deal and you'll get a break.

Like they say there's an ass for every seat

I just picked up my new Wednesday and as I'm walking in the door there was a guy rolling out his new bike . 

I said the the salesmen I see you have a few bikes in stock , he says to me yes and each one is already spoken far. 

They act like they are doing you a favor selling a bike to you and in a way if they can get one for you they are.

So the days of haggling over price is over.

I paid cash and feel like I got a decent price out the door and was pleased to get 10% off any parts I wanted so I picked up a few things . 

I should have bought the soft seat at the time but I was a little overwhelmed with everything and didn't . As soon as I got home I called to buy the seat and they said it was sold already and should get another one this week . I told him put my name on it I want it.

This  is how fast they are selling everything in stock so if you don't buy it the next guy will . 

• Like 2