I had netflix early on.  They didn't have much streaming and the DVD you wanted was never available so they'd send you some B rated garbage instead.  Their solution was to raise prices, so I cancelled.

I had hulu early on, I don't remember what they did not but they pissed me off so I cancelled.

I liked youtube red, mostly for concert footage, but I've cancelled all my paid Google services after their censorship of doctors sharing their findings on Covid.  No more live Freddy King.

I realize I seem like a curmudgeon but if we don't vote with our wallet capitalism doesn't prevail.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just lamenting about general streaming proliferation, and that it was inevitable that networks would start locking in their content into their own platforms.  

When the networks move everything to their own platform I'm installing one of these 

spacer.png

TV will always be free when you have this

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

Google services after their censorship of doctors sharing their findings on Covid

I have their fiber internet.  Dangit.  Look at how blatantly they lied about this one too:

Banned the video, rejected the appeal, then only after getting called out by a US Senator, YT claimed it was removed by mistake.  LOL.  Umm, how did the appeal not catch the "mistake" then?  Lying piles of feces.

https://aapsonline.org/youtube-censors-top-doctor/

Edited by redrider144

21 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

When the networks move everything to their own platform I'm installing one of these 

spacer.png

Uhmmm, have you watched TV?  22 minutes of commercials per hour.  It was 11 when I was a kid.  My time is worth WAY more than that.  I have an antenna (not with a bird though) but no way I would watch something with that many commercials.

18 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I have their fiber internet.  Dangit.  Look at how blatantly they lied about this one too:

Banned the video, rejected the appeal, then only after getting called out by a US Senator, YT claimed it was removed by mistake.  LOL.  Umm, how did the appeal not catch the "mistake" then?  Lying piles of feces.

https://aapsonline.org/youtube-censors-top-doctor/

Yeah I was running my domain registration and business email through them.  Not anymore!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

spacer.png

And soon most apps will only be available on android or apple. Meaning you'll need apple tv or an android devices to run most apps that smart tvs can today. They are getting tired of paying for programming for 150 sifferent platforms. Like the nvidia shield which allows you to run any app that is available for android. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-shield-android-tv-8gb-4k-hdr-streaming-media-player-with-google-assistant-black/6370422.p?skuId=6370422

I got rid of Netflix 6 months ago. My Dish contract is up in July.  I like old movies but they are getting harder and harder to find,  More and more garbage movies are showing up on the free internet channels. I watch a few of the old sitcoms on Pluto and OTA.....actually spend more time watching youtube videos than anything else......I've been watching a lot of CT90 videos lately since I bought 3 of them bad boys in the last few months.  I'm not sure if I'll completely cut the  tv cord or not....its not hurting me financially...I also have about 200 movies on my network if I really get bored.

44 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

And soon most apps will only be available on android or apple. Meaning you'll need apple tv or an android devices to run most apps that smart tvs can today. They are getting tired of paying for programming for 150 sifferent platforms. Like the nvidia shield which allows you to run any app that is available for android. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-shield-android-tv-8gb-4k-hdr-streaming-media-player-with-google-assistant-black/6370422.p?skuId=6370422

I have an Android box, couldn't log in to NBC Gold until I hooked up a keyboard and mouse.  Then the video stuttered and wouldn't play well.  Even though Prime, YouTube, or those apps that play movies still in theaters even though it's clearly some dude I'm china doing a crappy recording however I digress, it doesn't have the horsepower to run NBC Gold.  So it's a bloated high overhead app.  I cast from a PC to a TV with it and get much better results.

16 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

I have an Android box, couldn't log in to NBC Gold until I hooked up a keyboard and mouse.  Then the video stuttered and wouldn't play well.  Even though Prime, YouTube, or those apps that play movies still in theaters even though it's clearly some dude I'm china doing a crappy recording however I digress, it doesn't have the horsepower to run NBC Gold.  So it's a bloated high overhead app.  I cast from a PC to a TV with it and get much better results.

Which one do you have? Like most pc based hardware it's not all equal.

13 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

Which one do you have? Like most pc based hardware it's not all equal.

It was obvious based on all the preloaded piracy apps straight from Amazon that I didn't go high-end 🙂

Bqeel or something like that.

2 hours ago, mxaniac said:

Uhmmm, have you watched TV?  22 minutes of commercials per hour.  It was 11 when I was a kid.  My time is worth WAY more than that.  I have an antenna (not with a bird though) but no way I would watch something with that many commercials.

LOL

No I'm a commercial crybaby. If my wife wants to watch a movie that has commercials I'll look for it on Prime or something and pay the $3.99 to rent it. The DVR has spoiled me  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

LOL

No I'm a commercial crybaby. If my wife wants to watch a movie that has commercials I'll look for it on Prime or something and pay the $3.99 to rent it. The DVR has spoiled me  

if I can rent a dvd I download it onto my network....

50 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

It was obvious based on all the preloaded piracy apps straight from Amazon that I didn't go high-end 🙂

Bqeel or something like that.

The nvidia ones are a bit pricey, 150 for the cheaper to 200 for the pro. But they essentially turn your tv into an android device with the ability to plays thousands of pc games through steam and other gaming libraries. Stream in true 4k with the hdmi 2.0 port etc. Its one of the more powerful streaming devices out there.

3 hours ago, MotorBoatin said:

spacer.png

Free as in free beer not as in freedom....

1 hour ago, MotorBoatin said:

LOL

Me too!  I really don't like the TV on.  If I have something specific I want to watch then fine I'll turn it on otherwise UGH.  I hate it being on, I'm still waiting for TVs with no on off button so I can just hide the remote.

35 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

The nvidia ones are a bit pricey, 150 for the cheaper to 200 for the pro. But they essentially turn your tv into an android device with the ability to plays thousands of pc games through steam and other gaming libraries. Stream in true 4k with the hdmi 2.0 port etc. Its one of the more powerful streaming devices out there.

Steam is on my $#!+ list.  I couldn't afford a plane so I bought a VR flight sim instead.  So buggy it's unusable so I asked for a refund.  Now I'm in a Paypal dispute with them.  Bastards, my son says I can actually sell my account.  People actually pay money to have an old account, weird really really weird.

8 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

Me too!  I really don't like the TV on.  If I have something specific I want to watch then fine I'll turn it on otherwise UGH.  I hate it being on, I'm still waiting for TVs with no on off button so I can just hide the remote.

One of my daughters might be able to find the on/off button.....MIGHT!!....but my wife doesn't have a chance

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

Steam is on my $#!+ list.  I couldn't afford a plane so I bought a VR flight sim instead.  So buggy it's unusable so I asked for a refund.  Now I'm in a Paypal dispute with them.  Bastards, my son says I can actually sell my account.  People actually pay money to have an old account, weird really really weird.

Ya and your old account info magically ends up in some hack shop in downtown Lagos,  Nigeria. :smashpc:

26 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

That they do. All my old accounts from 2003ish were banned for either hacking or talking too much shit. Lmao

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

One of my daughters might be able to find the on/off button.....MIGHT!!....but my wife doesn't have a chance

hell my wife hands me the remote....buttons confuse her....lol

• Like 1