The problem with Samsung is they use their own modified android system. Sony's version is much better at accepting apps but you have to be careful to make sure that the smart tv from Sony will accept new apps as some won't. I have both Roku and Apple Firestick and my preference is the Firestick. What I have found is all the apps have a webb page that functions as well as the app and I can connect my laptop to my Samsung tv and watch virtually anything. This became important somedays with Sports Gold because somedays it would freeze thru Roku but not on their webb page....

I used to watch livestreams I found from internet searches, but it would always turn out to be someone with a camera pointed at their TV.  Once a toddler started playing with the screen with filthy hands as the parents were yelling.  Even after the kid left the camera view there was dirty handprints everywhere.  I think that was chocolate pudding, damn with a toddler I hope for their sake it was.

2 hours ago, Zinergy said:

I have said it before, soon apps will only be programmed for iOS and android. We'll all need a iOS or android tv or media player in the near future to use any apps.

Well that can be coded to since Android is really Linux under the sheets most of it is open source or hackable. You could even build your own app. iOS is proprietary/closed but I don't use that. 

So if it goes android route over 5G or better I will go that way. And when that day comes Comcrap can come and pick up all their 1980s useless shit off the street near the garbage cans in front of my house.

6 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Well that can be coded to since Android is really Linux under the sheets most of it is open source or hackable. You could even build your own app. iOS is proprietary/closed but I don't use that. 

So if it goes android route over 5G or better I will go that way. And when that day comes Comcrap can come and pick up all their 1980s useless shit off the street near the garbage cans in front of my house.

No.  You will switch to 100% Apple devices.  Mac, iPad, iPhone, Watch, TV, etc.  All of it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Isn't iOS and Mac OS just Linux too?

It's really amusing because scientific and engineering communities were the last holdouts from Microsoft, sticking with Unix until the very end.  Now that's about all they have left, take away development and analysis apps and nobody has a reason not to run Linux.  Even game developers seem ready to jump.  Sun, IBM, HP, SGI and ask the other Unix providers really missed the boat sticking to their closed source mentality.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

Isn't iOS and Mac OS just Linux too?

Not exactly.  The MacOS kernel (Darwin) (& iOS) is a derivative of BSD / Unix.  I guess you could think of them as distant cousins.  Darwin & Linux are considered in the "Unix like" family.

But in @Chaconne's world, your uncle & dad are the same person.  So he wouldn't understand that analogy.

spacer.png

Edited by redrider144
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Not exactly.  The MacOS kernel (Darwin) (& iOS) is a derivative of BSD / Unix.  I guess you could think of them as distant cousins.  Darwin & Linux are considered in the "Unix like" family.

But in @Chaconne's world, your uncle & dad are the same person.  So he wouldn't understand that analogy.

spacer.png

The Unix wars of the 90s was hilarious.  Especially when Novell was involved, trying to stay relevant through the court system as a tech company is asinine.

Trying to migrate my ERP/PLM server this week.  I never really liked Linux or Unix, until Windows breaks then I hate it even more.  OS/2 anyone?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

The Unix wars of the 90s was hilarious.  Especially when Novell was involved, trying to stay relevant through the court system as a tech company is asinine.

Trying to migrate my ERP/PLM server this week.  I never really liked Linux or Unix, until Windows breaks then I hate it even more.  OS/2 anyone?

From my understanding, that whole mess was mainly SCO trying to use the courts to hijack the rights to all Unix derivates, in order to force Linux users to give them $$$.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

From my understanding, that whole mess was mainly SCO trying to use the courts to hijack the rights to all Unix derivates, in order to force Linux users to give them $$$.

You have no understanding. Stick to ME.

Edited by Chaconne
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

spacer.png

MacOs and IOS have Unix interfaces but they are Mach kernels in design. Linux and other Unices are typically monolithic kernels and I doubt you know what the Hurd even is. The diagram above is for idiots who should stick  to ME....LOL

Edited by Chaconne
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

You no understanding. Stick to ME.

I spent a decent amount of time reading about that case on the now defunct Groklaw site.  I followed Google v Oracle on there while it was all going on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

The diagram above is for idiots who should to ME....LOL

The diagram is for the rest of us that have a life, and don't care what the "Hurd" is, you &%$#@! &%$#@!er!!!!

They are both "Unix like" systems.  Suck it.

Edited by redrider144
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

Well if you use a smart phone you use Unix. Unless you have some old Window CE phone. Android is Linux with a Google API. It is the most widely distributed OS in the world.

28 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Well if you use a smart phone you use Unix. Unless you have some old Window CE phone. Android is Linux with a Google API. It is the most widely distributed OS in the world.

I know, about all embedded systems use it.  I use Ubuntu on my aws server.  Would like to migrate all my windows servers to it as well.  Last time I tried FreeIPA wasn't out and most everything else was unreliable as hell so I went back to windows.  I think the final straw was when I edited a simple dns entry and it wouldn't boot anymore and I got pissed off.  80s and 90si loved computers and kept up on things.  Now they're like anything with tits or wheels, they're going to give you trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mxaniac said:

Last time I tried FreeIPA wasn't out and most everything else was unreliable as hell so I went back to windows. 

I have plenty of IPA in my garage fridge. Feel free to stop buy for a free one

No need to sneak through the back window 

• Haha 3

NBC Sports and Peacock will offer the off-road motorcycle racing community extensive live and commercial-free Supercross and Pro Motocross coverage on Peacock Premium. Beginning with the start of the 2021 Monster Energy Supercross season on Jan. 16, NBC Sports’ exclusive streaming coverage will move from NBC Sports Gold’s “Supercross and Pro Motocross Pass,” “Supercross Pass” and “Pro Motocross Pass” to Peacock Premium, which is available for $4.99 per month.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

I have plenty of IPA in my garage fridge. Feel free to stop buy for a free one

No need to sneak through the back window 

My mom got me a glass that says:

IPAlot

when I drink.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

NBC Sports and Peacock will offer the off-road motorcycle racing community extensive live and commercial-free Supercross and Pro Motocross coverage on Peacock Premium. Beginning with the start of the 2021 Monster Energy Supercross season on Jan. 16, NBC Sports’ exclusive streaming coverage will move from NBC Sports Gold’s “Supercross and Pro Motocross Pass,” “Supercross Pass” and “Pro Motocross Pass” to Peacock Premium, which is available for $4.99 per month.

...not including the commercials that will remain for Peacock, Pro Motocross, Pro Supercross, NASCAR, Monster Truck Jam, Pro Wrestling, Reality TV Shows, Prime Time lineup, etc..

(Usually right in the middle of the closest battles in the race.)

Edited by CORider63

1 hour ago, CORider63 said:

...not including the commercials that will remain for Peacock, Pro Motocross, Pro Supercross, NASCAR, Monster Truck Jam, Pro Wrestling, Reality TV Shows, Prime Time lineup, etc..

(Usually right in the middle of the closest battles in the race.)

Those commercials is what I think will happen even on the 'commercial free" version for $9.99 per month........I am curious about the replays including previous years.  I don't know about you guys but I'd pay an extra $20 per month to not be interrupted by by all those damn commercials.  I record almost everything I watch on tv anymore just so I can skip thru them......the free streaming channels are all loaded with commercials.

• Like 1