ckny

Beta announces MXGP Team

Just now, redrider144 said:

No NO NOO!  @Johnny Depp has already informed us that you can just take the lights off and you are ready for MXGP!!!!  How dare you disrespect the Beta brand in this manner!!!!

Not lying, my next bike is probably going to be a Beta.  I have $ome great reason$ to buy one of the gorgeou$ Italian $teed$.  But I also have a few reservations about it and will be taking appropriate measures to cover my A.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

You could always bolt on a flywheel weight like everyone else after you take off the generator. It really is the fast way around the track when you're not burning rubber.

I guess it depends on how heavy the crank is already.  My 2T 300 XC doesn't need one.

My 350 XC-F felt like it could use about a 15 oz weight.  

My '20 250FX....I think the heavier GYTR flywheel might be perfect for it, it feels like it could use just a tad more weight.

29 minutes ago, eastreich said:

Not lying, my next bike is probably going to be a Beta.  I have $ome great reason$ to buy one of the gorgeou$ Italian $teed$.  But I also have a few reservations about it and will be taking appropriate measures to cover my A.

There are several Betas I would considering buying.  I just like to keep the Beta vs KTM angst fire burning.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I guess it depends on how heavy the crank is already.  My 2T 300 XC doesn't need one.

My 350 XC-F felt like it could use about a 15 oz weight.  

My '20 250FX....I think the heavier GYTR flywheel might be perfect for it, it feels like it could use just a tad more weight.

There are several Betas I would considering buying.  I just like to keep the Beta vs KTM angst fire burning.

Yep, factory KTM's run total loss ignitions. That seems a bit extreme, but it's a weight thing. With e-start and FI you will always need some sort of charging system.

No need to re-invent the wheel. The current system provides good power delivery AND is easy to add lights later. Voila.

Take off the lights and line up with the big boys. That is exactly what Beta is doing.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Yep, factory KTM's run total loss ignitions. That seems a bit extreme, but it's a weight thing. With e-start and FI you will always need some sort of charging system.

Didn't know that, but I can easily see it.  The stator is a drag on the crank, so if that is eliminated their is a potential advantage.  I could get about 40 minutes of riding in on my stock Husky battery before the bike shut off, so I am sure with a better battery it would be easily doable for an MX race.

For the average Joe though, not so much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eastreich said:

They are good bikes. Pick your flavour. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ckny said:

They are good bikes. Pick your flavour. 

I will be fabricating a new wiring harness from scratch for the 480 before I race it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

I mentioned a heavier flywheel to you a while back and you didn't seem interested.

3 hours ago, eastreich said:

I want pictures of your next ride, whether its a Beta or even if it’s Orange. My money says it will resemble a Pumpkin.

Edited by MANIAC998

3 hours ago, eastreich said:

Give that a lot of serious thought! In fact, maybe speak with a life coach. You seem like such a "normal" guy,,,haven't you seen what happens when "normal" guys buy a Beta?  Just be aware of the obvious consequences, that's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MANIAC998 said:

I want pictures of your next ride, whether its a Beta or even if it’s Orange. My money says it will resemble a Pumpkin.

37 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Give that a lot of serious thought! In fact, maybe speak with a life coach. You seem like such a "normal" guy,,,haven't you seen what happens when "normal" guys buy a Beta?  Just be aware of the obvious consequences, that's all I'm saying.

My brother says he doesn't care if I buy another Austrian @MANIAC998 but we both know that isn't really the case. And I won't race a Yamaha with that fuel tank situation. So Beta it is.

I just saw the most diehard Yamaha guy I know in MT chug a 300cc glass of orange Kool-Aid. ANYONE owning any brand of bike is possible!

@Piney Woods I'm not going off the deep end. The Beta will be my race/tinker bike, not one of my cherished keep forever bikes. Ride it a few years and move on to something else (hopefully Yamaha has a better fuel tank situation on a 450 by then). I won't turn into one of them. Promise.

(A lot of the Beta guys will lose their shit when they see what I do to the suspension on the 480 Race Edition)

I will have over 200hrs on my Husky shortly so it is just about getting time for it to go to a new home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eastreich said:

My brother says he doesn't care if I buy another Austrian @MANIAC998 but we both know that isn't really the case. And I won't race a Yamaha with that fuel tank situation. So Beta it is.

I just saw the most diehard Yamaha guy I know in MT chug a 300cc glass of orange Kool-Aid. ANYONE owning any brand of bike is possible!

@Piney Woods I'm not going off the deep end. The Beta will be my race/tinker bike, not one of my cherished keep forever bikes. Ride it a few years and move on to something else (hopefully Yamaha has a better fuel tank situation on a 450 by then). I won't turn into one of them. Promise.

(A lot of the Beta guys will lose their shit when they see what I do to the suspension on the 480 Race Edition)

I will have over 200hrs on my Husky shortly so it is just about getting time for it to go to a new home.

62891514-3D29-4439-BDF4-793E7E54E0DE.thumb.jpeg.91ee98fa27a5bd8c12d7eec9dfdb5b3a.jpegBRC500 two smoker, Blue & Counterbalanced, with a normal fuel tank. Just sayin’.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

62891514-3D29-4439-BDF4-793E7E54E0DE.thumb.jpeg.91ee98fa27a5bd8c12d7eec9dfdb5b3a.jpegBRC500 two smoker, Blue & Counterbalanced, with a normal fuel tank. Just sayin’.

I raced 500s for nearly a decade. Even counterbalanced, I have no desire to go back down that road!

Granted, I do know where there is an '85 CR500 that needs a deep cleaning but is complete (and runs), that is wanting to go to a new home...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MANIAC998 said:

That is a velly big cylinder! Hmmmmm. Didn't know Pro Action was still going, which location do you use?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

That is a velly big cylinder! Hmmmmm. Didn't know Pro Action was still going, which location do you use?

Just had them do up my buddies CR500, and since I was working in the area, I dropped it off in Beaver Falls, PA.

10 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

As I learned the hard way, no such thing. 🔥🔥🔥

I've got my forever bike.  Had bits and pieces of my original XR650R for 20 years now.  Won a national title on it.  Still ride it more than I do my much newer Husqvarna.  It is set up and ready to go racing right now if my Husky breaks, and it would take me but a few minutes to swap out to my mongo fuel tank and throw on my Giant Loop bags to take a cross country trip. 

I'm NEVER getting rid of it.  Even my wife agrees to this.

When I finally can't get parts for it anymore, or can't get gasoline because we only have electric or some other means of propulsion in another 20 years I will just stick it up on the wall of my shop below all of my used helmets and look at it.

IMG_20130525_143247_322.jpg

1108201531.jpg

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, eastreich said:

I've got my forever bike.  Had bits and pieces of my original XR650R for 20 years now.  Won a national title on it.  Still ride it more than I do my much newer Husqvarna.  It is set up and ready to go racing right now if my Husky breaks, and it would take me but a few minutes to swap out to my mongo fuel tank and throw on my Giant Loop bags to take a cross country trip. 

I'm NEVER getting rid of it.  Even my wife agrees to this.

When I finally can't get parts for it anymore, or can't get gasoline because we only have electric or some other means of propulsion in another 20 years I will just stick it up on the wall of my shop below all of my used helmets and look at it.

IMG_20130525_143247_322.jpg

1108201531.jpg

I had a few bikes I wasn't going to get rid of too, then we had that fire last September and 7 bikes went poof.

Just now, mxaniac said:

I had a few bikes I wasn't going to get rid of too, then we had that fire last September and 7 bikes went poof.

Yeah, that sucks beyond mention.  But it wasn't your choice to get rid of them, that was life being a cruel "b word."