ckny

Beta announces MXGP Team

11 minutes ago, eastreich said:

Yeah, that sucks beyond mention.  But it wasn't your choice to get rid of them, that was life being a cruel "b word."

I'm going to start insuring more things.  Turns out homeowner's policies have exclusions for most things your own at your home.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

Just had them do up my buddies CR500, and since I was working in the area, I dropped it off in Beaver Falls, PA.

Thanks. 👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mxaniac said:

I'm going to start insuring more things.  Turns out homeowner's policies have exclusions for most things your own at your home.

Yep. Had to tell my buddy just the other day his theory of not needing insurance on his 150sx because his homeowner's insurance policy covers it when it's in his garage is incorrect. He didnt believe me at first but he found that clause in his policy... right there in black and white.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, mxaniac said:

I remember your pics, that was sad sad! Having a real live ins PRO as your agent and sitting down for a talk occasionally is very important. Good luck.

6 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

I remember your pics, that was sad sad! Having a real live ins PRO as your agent and sitting down for a talk occasionally is very important. Good luck.

The worst part has been State Farm:

The claim rep won't answer the phone.

The claim rep won't return calls when I leave repeated voice mails over a period of weeks.

They won't send me a copy of my policy after repeated requests.

They play shell games on what's covered under homeowner's vs auto insurance to try and avoid payout.

They feign ignorance about coverage items to try and avoid payout.

My agent has been really good, and in fact my only real communication with the claims representative is when I get pissed off and call my agent and tell him to have them call me.  I spoke to a lawyer but he said they would get 1/3 of the settlement so I'm still pursuing things on my own.  My son has cancelled with them, my neighbor was getting quotes from them until this, and once I'm done needing my agent I'll be switching.  They are doing other things I didn't go in to, but I can say with confidence if you have State Farm insurance you're not in good hands, they aren't a good neighbor, and you should switch.  Liberty Mutual was very good to my neighbor who lost everything.

• Helpful 2

That is also sad to hear. That is not State Farms history nor corporate thought process regarding claims. As with any Co, coverage is very specific regarding homeowners/vehicle policies. And as always, there is "the rest of the story".  Good luck.

17 minutes ago, GreatWhiteFire said:

I feel like everyone skipped over the main question that arose for me in this whole thread. 

WHAT ARE THOSE? 

Screenshot_20210109-095613_Chrome.jpg

My best guess is he lost a bet, a big one.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:04 PM, eastreich said:

My brother says he doesn't care if I buy another Austrian @MANIAC998 but we both know that isn't really the case. And I won't race a Yamaha with that fuel tank situation. So Beta it is.

I just saw the most diehard Yamaha guy I know in MT chug a 300cc glass of orange Kool-Aid. ANYONE owning any brand of bike is possible!

@Piney Woods I'm not going off the deep end. The Beta will be my race/tinker bike, not one of my cherished keep forever bikes. Ride it a few years and move on to something else (hopefully Yamaha has a better fuel tank situation on a 450 by then). I won't turn into one of them. Promise.

(A lot of the Beta guys will lose their shit when they see what I do to the suspension on the 480 Race Edition)

I will have over 200hrs on my Husky shortly so it is just about getting time for it to go to a new home.

You had me at 480 Race Edition. 💪

Jeremy Van Horebeek interview answers the questions everyone had:

https://gatedrop.com/interview-jeremy-van-horebeek-on-mxgps-new-manufacture-and-signing-with-beta-mxgp-2021/#.X_yC-UjYrrd

Van Horebeek: A few weeks back I went to Italy and I rode with it. It is really impressive how light it is, how well it steers and the handling. I haven’t tested the new Honda yet but honestly for steering and the handling, it’s even more easy than with the Honda I had, and it was already easy with the Honda. That was really a surprise for me and it made the decision even easier.

Van Horebeek: The thing is that I signed directly with the Beta factory so I’ve nothing really to do with SDM-Corse on paper.

Van Horebeek:  Yeah, you know the thing is they didn’t have a 450cc, Beta had a 430cc and a 480cc, so they had to make a new 450cc.

The focus is on the engine for sure, but the positive thing is that I have companies like KYB factory suspension, they will support me because they are more like friends to me. When I told them about the project, they straight away said that I could have the factory suspension. With some other parts, Beta will work with HGS exhaust 

• Helpful 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

https://gatedrop.com/interview-jeremy-van-horebeek-on-mxgps-new-manufacture-and-signing-with-beta-mxgp-2021/#.X_yC-UjYrrd

Van Horebeek: A few weeks back I went to Italy and I rode with it. It is really impressive how light it is, how well it steers and the handling. I haven’t tested the new Honda yet but honestly for steering and the handling, it’s even more easy than with the Honda I had, and it was already easy with the Honda. That was really a surprise for me and it made the decision even easier.

Van Horebeek: The thing is that I signed directly with the Beta factory so I’ve nothing really to do with SDM-Corse on paper.

Van Horebeek:  Yeah, you know the thing is they didn’t have a 450cc, Beta had a 430cc and a 480cc, so they had to make a new 450cc.

The focus is on the engine for sure, but the positive thing is that I have companies like KYB factory suspension, they will support me because they are more like friends to me. When I told them about the project, they straight away said that I could have the factory suspension. With some other parts, Beta will work with HGS exhaust 

Isn’t he gonna run stock suspension like the rest of the Factory guys? 

18 minutes ago, ckny said:

Isn’t he gonna run stock suspension like the rest of the Factory guys? 

It looks like he has a lot more control than the EnduroGP guys, Beta has to trust someone else more on this project, they just aren't big enough to be everywhere. Glad to see they are willing to surrender some authority. And yea, the Enduro guys have been winning on stock tuned components. The good news is KYB will likely have more stuff to offer Beta riders, like a shock. I'm sure it's a minor fitment issue.

I'm just hoping Jeremy is a good development rider, lot's of people underestimate Beta's power delivery based on the "rideability", but he has to know more about what it takes than you or I or Beta.

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Cool, some insight finally.

Anyone have any idea if they started with the 430 or 480 or if it's a totally new design?

31 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Cool, some insight finally.

Anyone have any idea if they started with the 430 or 480 or if it's a totally new design?

Looking at the pictures it is the same as production engines. Simple overbore?

11 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Looking at the pictures it is the same as production engines. Simple overbore?

I'll look at the 430 and 480 stroke vs KTM & others, and post what I come up with.

2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Good link! Good info . So it’s see where it goes from here.  It sounds like he’s happy. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I'll look at the 430 and 480 stroke vs KTM & others, and post what I come up with.

My brother and I were having this discussion the other night.

350 stroke with 480 bore (100mm) gets 450.8cc engine.  Would have to deck the cylinder a bit, and maybe a custom piston with a bit shorter skirt.

Easiest thing to do is bore out the 430 from a 95 to 97mm slug (the 480 is 100mm) and you get a 449cc bike.

There is no real consensus on what the ideal bore is, as they are all over the map.  YZF has a 97mm slug, KXF/CRF/RMZ use a 96mm piston, with the Austrians using a 95mm bore.

• Helpful 2

3 minutes ago, eastreich said:

Easiest thing to do is bore out the 430 from a 95 to 97mm slug (the 480 is 100mm) and you get a 449cc bike.

There is no real consensus on what the ideal bore is, as they are all over the map.  YZF has a 97mm slug, KXF/CRF/RMZ use a 96mm piston, with the Austrians using a 95mm bore.

Thanks, you saved me some time lol.  My guess is, bore the 430 out 2mm is what they will do.  Possibly need a new cylinder casting but maybe not.

6 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Thanks, you saved me some time lol.  My guess is, bore the 430 out 2mm is what they will do.  Possibly need a new cylinder casting but maybe not.

My brother thinks they will do the 100mm slug, just to be different as Beta likes to be different.  I know they won't keep it a 95mm hole just to remain at odds from those hosers a few klicks North in Mattighofen.  I'm personally thinking they will go with 97mm.  I don't think the 480 has a different casting, it is just hogged out more before plating.  These aren't bikes engineered to the very edge of reliability/lightness like KTMs, so I'm sure there is a bit of extra meat in the 430's cylinder to handle the overbore.

image.png.65862f1910fc459c308b2473aaf1b374.png

Edited by eastreich
Added 390 stroke calculation
  • Helpful 2