ckny

Beta announces MXGP Team

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

I'll look at the 430 and 480 stroke vs KTM & others, and post what I come up with.

someone earlier in this thread already did the math, pretty sure you could drop the 2014? cylinder and piston on one?

• Like 1

So Beta had 450s before making 430.  We will see what the bike will be soon enough. Guys are guessing but no one here really knows until Beta shows us later what they’ll do as far as the bikes. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, eastreich said:

That being said, watch Beta use the 390's crank with the 430's cylinder so I look stupid.

You wouldn't look stupid.  That would be interesting.  The 390 has been something I've wondered about, since it's the longest stroke engine that Beta makes.

4 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

You wouldn't look stupid.  That would be interesting.  The 390 has been something I've wondered about, since it's the longest stroke engine that Beta makes.

It may be interesting, but it would also be copying the dimensions of a KTM 450 SX-F exactly.  Not that I have a problem with those dimensions, as I have an Austrian 450.  I just don't think they will mimic what KTM has specifically because KTM uses it.

50 minutes ago, eastreich said:

It may be interesting, but it would also be copying the dimensions of a KTM 450 SX-F exactly.  Not that I have a problem with those dimensions, as I have an Austrian 450.  I just don't think they will mimic what KTM has specifically because KTM uses it.

Good point.

Beta doesn’t have too much pride copy anyone, and shared lots of components with KTM‘s already. The long stroke makes sense if you are looking for manageable power delivery. On the other hand, I suspect Beta is going to take the easiest route.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Beta doesn’t have too much pride copy anyone, and shared lots of components with KTM‘s already. The long stroke makes sense if you are looking for manageable power delivery. On the other hand, I suspect Beta is going to take the easiest route.

What would you say is the easiest route?  Seems like 390 bottom + 430 cyl or punching out the 430 cyl are both relatively easy?

Whatever the engine details it sounds as if the rider is very happy with the bike overall and has confidence in it. Already sounds like a win to me. How much time for further development till the start of the season?

7 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a seat that flat. Not even the HRC bikes from the 80s

ACE7C542-55F5-431E-91FF-FFEE74282FC9.jpeg.e9eb57162151eb57e2c6ff8d23da70bc.jpeg

32551B7A-2698-494C-93C2-FE5881AB3718.jpeg.de642c1e4ff7b8afb833b65b869476f8.jpeg

That seat looks almost perfect to me, but I am 6'4"

22 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a seat that flat. Not even the HRC bikes from the 80s

Does anyone know if that's the stock seat?

37 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

What would you say is the easiest route?  Seems like 390 bottom + 430 cyl or punching out the 430 cyl are both relatively easy?

Looks like the easiest route is to just drop the 430 cylinder on the 390 bottom end.  They use the same length of cylinder bolts (127.5mm) so the cylinder are the same height and the timing chain is the same length (124 links).  Should just be a swap out the cylinder/piston and go.

I know that with KTM it isn't the same for the 450/500 as the cylinder is taller between them (same bore, longer stroke).  Longer bolts, guides, timing chain, etc...

What this also tells me is that if you want a real beast of a Beta, buy a 390 and drop the 480 cylinder on it.  The 500 RR-S may say 500 in the name, but it is really the same 477 that the 480 is.  The 390 crank with the 100mm piston of the 480/500 gets a near true 500cc engine (497.9cc). 

• Helpful 3

I don't have a pic of the 300RX my brother shipped off to it's new home last Friday night, but he told me the seat was awesome for us tall guys right out of the crate.

• Helpful 1

Just now, redrider144 said:

Yeah, my brain is apparently not working well today.  I could have easily figured that out on my own.

Lazy bastard

This one is especially for you

• Haha 1

We are getting off track a bit dissecting an RX300. Nobody knows the exact details of the MXGP bike. 

That being said, the seat height is a function of longer travel in the rear on the RX also. The parts list hasn't dropped yet so we aren't quite sure how they got there.

Beta's IMO and other's have always been a bit choppered. The new setup seems to address that with a longer stroke shock? Years back there was a different linkage rod that addressed the issue for the stillborn CC model.

Edited by Johnny Depp

3 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

We are getting off track a bit dissecting an RX300. Nobody knows the exact details of the MXGP bike. 

That being said, the seat height is a function of longer travel in the rear on the RX also. The parts list hasn't dropped yet so we aren't quite sure how they got there.

Beta's IMO and other's have always been a bit choppered. The new setup seems to address that with a longer stroke shock? Years back there was a different linkage rod that addressed the issue for the stillborn XC model.

That wasn’t stillborn. There were some sold.  Really that 12’ cross country Beta 450 wasn’t really explained by anyone yet.  It was a while ago. I’m still wondering why Beta is going through this effort for mx anyway. It’s enjoyable enough to stay on the ride to find out but I still don’t see Beta starting a push to mx? Maybe they are? Seems doubtful but maybe. I still think any race edition is good . Do suspension and take off lights and go racing.. or don’t and still go racing..Not mxgp but for anyone that wants to race their Beta just setup suspension and race. 

Not the rx.. Beta enduro bike on mx for reference and fun...