ckny

Beta announces MXGP Team

38 minutes ago, indy rider said:

Of course he does...just like every single other rider that recently signed with a new team. 

New girlfriends are always better.. but still.. his arrangement looks better than  most. I never heard of Cody Webb talking about how KTM was so much better. Webb did express his like going to Sherco. Riders are delicate in what they say about the bike.. they’re getting paid .. Still Jonny does say over and over on how surprised he was with how good his Beta is. ..and saying it’s better than he expected. Could be bs?  Yeah well maybe but Cody did tell Jonny that wasn’t it nice having a carbed bike with low end. Both not on KTM and tpi and can say what they like.  .. just a little jab.. 

6B2085D6-3361-41D1-96DE-9073EF294450.png

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

7 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

his arrangement looks better than most. 

If you say so. I see a guy that has committed to racing an unproven, untested, bike, for a band new team, against the best mx'ers in the world. What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, indy rider said:

If you say so. I see a guy that has committed to racing an unproven, untested, bike, for a band new team, against the best mx'ers in the world. What could possibly go wrong?

Oops sorry posted wrong section.. was talking about Jonny walker and hard enduro.

As far as mxgp? &%$#@! em, He and Beta got nothing to lose. Win or lose who cares to me. It’s a trials bike and enduro bike company with how many mx bikes even for sale? It’s good press. And they could win as well. If they don’t win so what ? It’s a first year beginning effort. I don’t think Beta is expected to win a worldmx championship. If they win they win. :excuseme:

6 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Oops sorry posted wrong section.. was talking about Jonny walker and hard enduro.

As far as mxgp? &%$#@! em, He and Beta got nothing to lose. Win or lose who cares to me. It’s a trials bike and enduro bike company with how many mx bikes even for sale? It’s good press. And they could win as well. If they don’t win so what ? It’s a first year beginning effort. I don’t think Beta is expected to win a worldmx championship. If they win they win. :excuseme:

lol. 

From a western US racing standpoint, the Beta MXGP project will be a great test bed for hopefully a future cross country model.  At the amateur level, there is nothing that the current bikes can't do and you won't be any faster on anything else.  You are going to be who you are!

But...  At the very top level out in the deserts the Betas could use more top end.  It isn't necessary at every race, but I think it became very apparent after Vegas to Reno last year.  Even on the big 480, the Beta was way down on top speed to the Austrian models that were all running "motocross" engines (higher rpm power) with sixth gear added.  Rideability and all is great, but for the guys with the ability to race the very tip of the spear they need a bit more and can make up for a lack of said "rideability" with their talent.  Saying that, an Austrian 450 is a really "rideable" power plant compared to most anything else in the same category.  They are incredibly smooth and seemingly pull forever.

If working on an MXGP project in their backyard in Italy nets engineering info and tuning to get a more desert/western/cross country powerplant out there that is similar in oomph to the XC-F/FXs assembled to the North, great!  My fat slow butt won't really care the majority of the time, but it will be fun to play with every now and then.

And that is the reason I am so interested in the (hopefully) upcoming 450RX.  I don't care about racing the bike in motocross.  I just want to see an even higher power spec stock than what is currently offered, no matter if that comes as an RX, an upgrade package for a RE (say, buy cams and dealer flashes the ECU accordingly), or a new CC version.  I am still going to get a Beta regardless, I just am greedy and want as much power as I can reasonably get in an OEM package.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, eastreich said:

just am greedy and want as much power as I can reasonably get in an OEM package.

:naughty:

Greedy? Not really. Your (ahem) “physique” might require more oomph than an average engine can realistically provide.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

:naughty:

Greedy? Not really. Your (ahem) “physique” might require more oomph than an average engine can realistically provide.

All I really want in the dirt bike world is to have this:

image.png.5b9e548fee9bbace944cac343e074c96.png

Shoved into this:

image.png.14805008a748ba1f09910dd1b1b4f724.png

Perfection will result.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, eastreich said:

All I really want in the dirt bike world is to have this:

image.png.5b9e548fee9bbace944cac343e074c96.png

Shoved into this:

image.png.14805008a748ba1f09910dd1b1b4f724.png

Perfection will result.

IMO that's what I think a lot of people thought they were getting when the 4T revolution first started.  This short stroke high revving easy to stall engine isn't what many were expecting.  I think a lot of non MXers bought them, sales went up and everyone thought it was a home run.  But I still know guys with something like an 02 CR450f in the garage that's been sitting for 15 years.  They wanted a better frame with an XR engine, bought the CRF, had all the valve problems, couldn't ride technical without stalling it, and quit riding out of disgust.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mxaniac said:

IMO that's what I think a lot of people thought they were getting when the 4T revolution first started.  This short stroke high revving easy to stall engine isn't what many were expecting.  I think a lot of non MXers bought them, sales went up and everyone thought it was a home run.  But I still know guys with something like an 02 CR450f in the garage that's been sitting for 15 years.  They wanted a better frame with an XR engine, bought the CRF, had all the valve problems, couldn't ride technical without stalling it, and quit riding out of disgust.

I called those new thumpers when they came out 3 strokes.  They weren't a four stroke (like my XR), and as you mentioned, lots of issues.

The FCR-MX leak jet carb fixed a lot of the issues, and EFI has cured it for the most part.

But a modern four stroke still isn't what I really want.  Yes, my 450 is much more effective as a race bike, but when it comes to just dinking around (no matter if it is trail riding, or at the MX track) I will take my XR 9 times out of 10 and leave the Husky at home.  The 650R may weigh more than a "bathtub full of pig feed" but darn it, that engine in HRC trim with an FCR-MX carb on it makes perfect power for just about every situation.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, eastreich said:

I called those new thumpers when they came out 3 strokes.  They weren't a four stroke (like my XR), and as you mentioned, lots of issues.

The FCR-MX leak jet carb fixed a lot of the issues, and EFI has cured it for the most part.

But a modern four stroke still isn't what I really want.  Yes, my 450 is much more effective as a race bike, but when it comes to just dinking around (no matter if it is trail riding, or at the MX track) I will take my XR 9 times out of 10 and leave the Husky at home.  The 650R may weigh more than a "bathtub full of pig feed" but darn it, that engine in HRC trim with an FCR-MX carb on it makes perfect power for just about every situation.

It's funny because we both like the opposite, and neither of us can find what we want.  I don't really care for the MX 4T because I don't find it as versatile as a 2T and I don't find it as fun.  Yes they are great for exiting flat corners under heavy power and yes supercross has a lot of those.  But they are heavy, easy to stall, easy to overheat in the woods, and harder to work on than a 2T.  I really love that bottom end pull off a big bore 2T.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mxaniac said:

It's funny because we both like the opposite, and neither of us can find what we want.  I don't really care for the MX 4T because I don't find it as versatile as a 2T and I don't find it as fun.  Yes they are great for exiting flat corners under heavy power and yes supercross has a lot of those.  But they are heavy, easy to stall, easy to overheat in the woods, and harder to work on than a 2T.  I really love that bottom end pull off a big bore 2T.

I think a 250 4 stroke is the best do it all bike out there. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, ckny said:

I think a 250 4 stroke is the best do it all bike out there. 

I agree. The 250f's are incredible now, but there ain't no way it's going to pull Big E(@eastreich) around!!!

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MANIAC998 said:

I agree. The 250f's are incredible now, but there ain't no way it's going to pull Big E(@eastreich) around!!!

I've seen few huge guys do well on '15-'2020 yz250f's. Great motors for a 250.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

14 minutes ago, indy rider said:

I have not. 

Hi! 

A 250F isn't going to cut it for me.  My race next weekend starts at the dry lake on the other side of the big pile of rocks behind my friend Tim (who is only 6' tall) and I.  I guess if I want to make multiple attempts at hills a 250F would be okay, or watch everyone pass me in a sand wash. 

I was looking for a pic with myself and @MANIAC998 but those are on my computer at home, sadly.

0120171549.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

They are great bikes for normal size humans. I’m 175 and honestly there is not much my new 300 can do that I couldn’t on my FX. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ckny said:

They are great bikes for normal size humans. I’m 175 and honestly there is not much my new 300 can do that I couldn’t on my FX. 

The only downside to offroading a 250F is the noise 

If your in a noise sensitive area smokers are the way to go 

• Like 4