IS there a write up OR manual on the HOW To's for mapping

Anyone know of any write ups on custom tuning the mapping on the 2020 YZ450Fs.  A general guide line on how to approach tweaking existing maps or creating a completely new custom one.  For example what is the base line map setting for my bike? WHY is this not part of the user manual. Dose Yamaha just expect that moto heads are just to dumb dumb to read? They give us the ability to customize but no manual as to how to approach it. Ya you can just change things around and ride and repeat but I want to have a base line understanding of what to change when & why based on what I feel im looking for.   

5 hours ago, Bill_B said:

Anyone know of any write ups on custom tuning the mapping on the 2020 YZ450Fs.  A general guide line on how to approach tweaking existing maps or creating a completely new custom one.  For example what is the base line map setting for my bike? WHY is this not part of the user manual. Dose Yamaha just expect that moto heads are just to dumb dumb to read? They give us the ability to customize but no manual as to how to approach it. Ya you can just change things around and ride and repeat but I want to have a base line understanding of what to change when & why based on what I feel im looking for.   

More advance makes it feel snappier. More fuel can tame it down along with less advance. 
Your best best might be to look for others or a magazine map that someone tweaked.
keep a stock map then tweak it. One way to see what it does is to go from full retarded ignition to full advance to see what it feels like. Then try more or less fuel and see what it does. 

Posted (edited)

I’ve downloaded many maps.  Any screen shots of maps posted on the internet I could fine but would be nice to get more detail and direction to make sense of it and have a better direction or starting point. I’ve only ridden 3 of the maps so far. Found one I like best, smooth Linear. I would like to tame it down as much as possible to see what that feels like, to get a sense of how drastic a change that would be.  

Like what is the base line map settings?   I thought I seen somewhere setting everything to all 0s is the OEM stock map setting, but can not find were I saw that?  Any idea on that?  

another thing is want to know I can’t screw up the bike with inputted values that are really off. 

More fuel less advance to tame it down?  Why more fuel? I would think to tame it down you would want less fuel less advance? 

6378E883-C255-4679-A8A7-FEE5B9929834.jpeg

Edited by Bill_B

I don’t know on your 2020. But my 16’ WR450 with the gytr ECU was stock all 0’s. 
My WR had a GYTR Cosworth head, big bore, tapered bored throttle body and pipe. I played with the tuner quite a bit and never had any issues. 
I don’t think you can blow up the bike. Go a few richer then leaner so you might feel what it does. 
Going richer tunes down a engine getting it less snappy as does retarding it. But play with the tuning it you won’t blow it up. If it’s pinging it’s too advanced and or too lean that’s no good and you will need to back it off or richen it. 
I never got mine to ping. 

• Like 1

I set everything to 0s today at Elsinore rode it for a while and feels a bit snapper than the smooth liner map that I have been liking.  Makes sense that all values on that map are negative numbers.  Next time I’ll drop them way down and see how it feels.  Starting to make sense of it now.  

• Like 1