XR200 Carb jet cleaning. idle jet

Hello,

It's my first post here, although I've searched the forums many times.

I'm working on an 1987 XL 185 that had been sitting many years.

I've tanked the carb.

Should you be able to blow through the idle jet? The side holes are clear, but I can't blow through the whole jet.

I've tried using welding tip cleaners, but can't get through.

It seems to me if it's drilled, I should be able to blow through.

PS, I found a new trick; I heated the jets briefly with MAP gas torch, and cooled. The residual fuel tar turned to black dust and fell out. I guess I should be careful, as I assume the brass melts easily.

If anyone could comment on the idle jet passages, that would be great.

Thanks,

Rob in Ontario 

IMG_3572.JPG

1 hour ago, Rob Laughton said:

Hello,

It's my first post here, although I've searched the forums many times.

I'm working on an 1987 XL 185 that had been sitting many years.

I've tanked the carb.

Should you be able to blow through the idle jet? The side holes are clear, but I can't blow through the whole jet.

I've tried using welding tip cleaners, but can't get through.

It seems to me if it's drilled, I should be able to blow through.

PS, I found a new trick; I heated the jets briefly with MAP gas torch, and cooled. The residual fuel tar turned to black dust and fell out. I guess I should be careful, as I assume the brass melts easily.

If anyone could comment on the idle jet passages, that would be great.

Thanks,

Rob in Ontario 

IMG_3572.JPG

Usually with low speed jets that are that clogged I don’t mess around and just order a new one.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, bimbamboom said:

Usually with low speed jets that are that clogged I don’t mess around and just order a new one.

Ditto what bimbamboom said

Add a #60 - #80 drill bit setto your collection, but be damn careful with it. Tiny idle jet holes won't pass much when clear. might be more visible if you blew into it with all the other holes under water. 

The slow jet (idle jet) metering hole is smaller than the end hole that you see when looking at the jet. Very small and recommend replacement. 

To quote master mechanic Ken Krist, in who's tutorage I worked for many years: "Never put anything harder than your polish sausage in a jet." Drill bits and welding tip cleaners are a no-no. If you can't clear jets with compressed air they need to be replaced.

• Helpful 2

I've never replace jets, I've been able to clean them. Look through the main jet the pilot jet should look the same with a much smaller hole. You need to be able to find a piece of wire smaller than that hole to work in there. Wire from fine wire wheels, brushes held in vice grips is an option. Soak the jet in carb cleaner in a small glass jar with the lid on over night and try again. When you get the wire through roll the jet on the wire until it feels smooth. If your older than 18 get a good magnifying glass to look through the opening. It should be round. If in doubt spend the money on a new jet. 

• Helpful 1

You could try soaking it for an hour in 9% hydrochloric acid (toilet bowl cleaner - sometimes it comes at 23% and should be diluted).

I would never use a torch cleaner on a brass jet. They can ream out the hole. I always use a bristle from a hand wire brush, as they are smooth sided and ill not cause damage when used properly.

• Like 1

I agree with Honda650rrr, torch tip cleaners can change the jet size if your not careful, a strand of wire from a wire brush is good

The wire that attaches ID tags works pretty good depending  on how clogged the jet is. Break loose a few $$$ and buy a new one! Also, if you carb dipped the main body, spray it out with a good carb spray such as Berrymans. If you did not take out the needle seat check the "O" ring and replace it too as the carb dip ruined it.

Guitar , piano wire ,  propane torch , only things  I have ever used .  Has worked well on every carb ever cleaned over the last 60 yrs.    WalMart carb cleaner spray is just as good as anything else and is very budget minded ...

Wow! I'm really impressed with the number of replys! Thank you! What a great forum!

Lots of good advise here to think over. It's great to learn stuff.

I was unable to clean the slow jet, and when I used compressed air in the carb body I lost the O ring and washer from the idle mixture hole. I didn't know there were bits still in the hole. So, new parts are on the way. I should have checked the parts diagram before rebuild.

I'll have to hunt for a Polish sausage tool....LOL

Rob

1 hour ago, Rob Laughton said:

should have checked the parts diagram before rebuild.

Good idea.....

On 1/7/2021 at 9:35 PM, jeffrey sisti said:

I agree with Honda650rrr, torch tip cleaners can change the jet size if your not careful, a strand of wire from a wire brush is good

This is correct, and the strand of wire from a wire brush is what I have used many time with success. 

7 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

This is correct, and the strand of wire from a wire brush is what I have used many time with success. 

Done exactly this for years. It works.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2021 at 6:24 PM, hondamac said:

. You need to be able to find a piece of wire smaller than that hole to work in there. Wire from fine wire wheels, brushes held in vice grips is an option. Soak the jet in carb cleaner in a small glass jar with the lid on over night and try again. When you get the wire through roll the jet on the wire until it feels smooth. If your older than 18 get a good magnifying glass to look through the opening. It should be round. If in doubt spend the money on a new jet.

Just like this.

1 hour ago, Doogee57 said:

If your older than 18 get a good magnifying glass to look through the opening. It should be round. If in doubt spend the money on a new jet.

Dead on correct

Strip off the plastic from a bread tie and use that wire to clean pilot jets. It works.

I understand why some buy new jets but i usually don't want to wait 3-4 days for the new jets. So I clean mine. Also, use the original mikuni or keihin jet if at all possible and avoid the chinese jets that comevin most rebuild kits, particularly if you are the type that worries about changing jet bore with a torch cleaner. 

Glad the OP got it cleaned up and running. 

Edited by TexanCRF-250R
  • Like 1

Use a copper wire strand on jets if you must. Do Not use  steel, it is much more likely to scratch or enlarge the jet hole. Also, pull the wire thru a 400 or smaller grit emory paper to remove any burr on the end of the wire. At those tiny sizes, a burr couldn't be seen by many people without a loupe.   

• Helpful 1