Does anyone know if the 1986 Honda TLR 200 has the same piston and rings as a XR200 if the same year? Also are clutches the same? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, William1 said:

You may have to contact a NOS reseller (pricey) or a place like Wiesco for a custom one made to order

Oh lord

37 minutes ago, 79Truckster said:

Oh lord

I'd start by first contacting Honda restorers and try and locate NOS. They may even know of one that is 'close enough' to work. If you do get a piston and it is not NOS, test fit by installing, put clay on the piston, use the old head and base gaskets and rotate the engine, confirming adequate valve to piston clearance.

William is correct on clay checking an unknown piston just to make sure its compression height is correct and the dome fits the head, it will also reveal squish band thickness.
The TLR piston is I believe 9:1, the XR piston is 10:1. The TLR head also has smaller valves. 

Clutch frictions, plates, and basket are the same but the springs are different part numbers and the ones I measured on a used bike and were about 2-3% weaker, they were marked with tan paint and I don't know if they were OEM. (most late XR200R springs are marked yellow)

William is correct on clay checking an unknown piston just to make sure its compression height is correct and the dome fits the head, it will also reveal squish band thickness.
The TLR piston is I believe 9:1, the XR piston is 10:1. The TLR head also has smaller valves. 

Clutch frictions, plates, and basket are the same part numbers but the springs are different part numbers and the ones I measured on a used bike were about 2-3% weaker, they were marked with tan paint and I don't know if they were OEM. (most late XR200R springs are marked yellow)

10 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Clutch frictions, plates, and basket are the same part numbers but the springs are different part numbers and the ones I measured on a used bike were about 2-3% weaker, they were marked with tan paint and I don't know if they were OEM. (most late XR200R springs are marked yellow)

Okay thanks very useful information, the bike runs great and still has compression but smoke a very small amount. Could I get away with Only replacing rings?

3 minutes ago, 79Truckster said:

Okay thanks very useful information, the bike runs great and still has compression but smoke a very small amount. Could I get away with Only replacing rings?

Worth a try, it's not like it's a big rpm/hp engine.

• Haha 1

Just now, DEATH_INC. said:

Worth a try, it's not like it's a big rpm/hp engine.

The rings should be the same as xr200 rings, correct?

2 minutes ago, 79Truckster said:

The rings should be the same as xr200 rings, correct?

Partzilla says;

This Honda 13011-446-811 RING SET, PISTON (STD) fits the following models and components:

Honda Motorcycle 2001 XR200R AC CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 2001 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1998 XR200R AC CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1998 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1994 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1987 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1986 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1987 TLR200 A - REFLEX CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1987 TLR200 AC - REFLEX CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1999 XR200R AC CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1999 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1991 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1995 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1993 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1996 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1990 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1988 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1986 TLR200 AC - REFLEX CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1986 TLR200 A - REFLEX CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1997 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 2000 XR200R A CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 2000 XR200R AC CRANKSHAFT

Honda Motorcycle 1983 XL200R A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 2002 XR200R AC Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1982 XR200 A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1984 XR200 A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1984 XL200R A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1983 XR200R A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1983 XL200R AC Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1984 XL200R AC Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1981 XR200 A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1981 XR200R A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1983 XR200 A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 2002 XR200R A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1982 XR200R A Crankshaft Piston

Honda Motorcycle 1980 XR200 A Crankshaft Piston

Google you bike  looking for specs ,, Look at the Bore x Stroke measurements for each bike ,, This will give you the Bore size for the piston ,, when you get the piston, check the "deck height" from the wrist pin hole to the top of the piston ,, work it out from there. Only way to find out (about the deck height), is to "buy it and try it"