Ultra61

Just got it 300 XC W

I'm a spontaneous kinda guy.. started last Saturday afternoon and ended up today with 300 XC W.. Someone should have told me about the cold warm up needed, but I'm past that now~ hopefully no harm no foul. Real hard to get a better deal than list price on these right now. However, I squeaked out no freight, no prep, and I'm happy w that after all isn't it all that really matters..

I will take some suggestions on excellent performance mods please.. something about rk head? Idle screw? Hell, I don't even know what teeth sprockets are on it.. Oh I'll figure it out, if you don't tell me, I'm good at counting my losses lol.

49943.jpeg

• Like 28

Congrats! If you like comfy get a seats concepts seat. A rear strap to grab the bike. A E-Line pipe guard, rear disc guard. I’m not fancy on the heads/tps kits everyone has their preferences.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with keeping the head/TPI as is, at least for now til you become more educated with the mods and what you feel like you need/want for the kind of riding you do. Just get some protection on it. Bash plate, pipe guard, radiator guards, rotor guards if you ride rocks. I also like the swingarm covers that keep it looking nice. The change in rear fender design has omitted the grab feature, so get a tugger strap. And some real handguards.

Read the owners manual cover to cover.

There's a running thread here that strongly suggests using only the Motorex 2 stroke oil for it, with a good argument to back that up.

Maybe later down the road, depending on what/how you ride, I highly recommend a Rekluse in the 300.

Pay attention to your coolant level and how hot the engine is getting for what you're doing and maybe consider a radiator fan at some point if needed.

But as first things to do, I'd make it a little more trail/crash proof. Ride it, get to know it and have fun.

And be sure to set the suspension sag for your weight.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 4

Waiting for the TSP head and my re-flashed ECU to get here.  UPS days Monday 🤗🤗🤗🤗

84DAE4B9-E189-4CDA-A95E-CFA4F84019D7.jpeg

• Like 4

Proper warm up is key. There are many horror stories with learning tips in the forums. Sometimes it costs money before you learn too. Good luck 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

A rekluse in a 300?  Why on earth would you do that? Out of all bikes, a 300 needs it the least and no bike ever needs one. I can’t imagine why anyone would put a rekluse in a 300. 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

7 hours ago, KennyMc said:

Waiting for the TSP head and my re-flashed ECU to get here.  UPS days Monday 🤗🤗🤗🤗

84DAE4B9-E189-4CDA-A95E-CFA4F84019D7.jpeg

Tsp head? Rktek good?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

A rekluse in a 300?  Why on earth would you do that? Out of all bikes, a 300 needs it the least and no bike ever needs one. I can’t imagine why anyone would put a rekluse in a 300. 

I was think of getting one for hand/finger fatigue for long solo races if nothing else.

No?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mx_599 said:

Tsp head? Rktek good?

Yea, the TSP kit comes with a head of your choice of low/med/high/highest compression.  I have no data saying if it’s better/worse than Kelsey’s head.  I ran the RK Tek head on my ‘17 300XCW and was very pleased with it.  Kelsey says you can run his head with this reflashed ECU.  We’ll see if it’s something I go to after running this head for awhile.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 69fastback said:

A modern Rekluse does not dumb down a 300. If you jumped on a bike with one and weren't told, you'd ride it, using the clutch as normal, like you're accustomed to and probably never realize it had one.

Not every 300 rider is in the their teens, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's.

Me personally, with decades of injuries and getting older, not continuing to be able to ride, and ride even the hard technical stuff like 5MOH that I did at age 60, was something I couldn't yet bring myself to give up. I got rid of my heavy, over powered 4 stroke for such stuff, in favor of something lighter, more flickable on the trail. In my research, the 300 was considered the perfect replacement to a big 4 stroke, often called the 4 stroke of the 2 stroke world.

I rode it stock for a year. I love it's power valve/jetting tunablity and low end tractability to suit whatever you're doing. But it's still a high spirited 2 stroke. For me, a Rekluse topped all that off to make it the perfect old man trail bike.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 11
  • Helpful 2

Enduro engineering aluminum or SXS plastic Skid plate, Bulletproof designs front and rear disc guards, Bulletproof TPS guard, enduro engineering slave cylinder guard, seat concepts seat is amazing on the cheeks. I personally hate flag guards so I have wrap around guards. I like the Cycra pro bends with handlebar end tap mounts. 
Tokyo off-road makes a capacitor kit to add to it so if you kill your battery you can still bump start and run the bike. It won’t run if the battery dies. 
Sweet bike man! 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

18 hours ago, Whisknkev said:

Congrats! If you like comfy get a seats concepts seat. A rear strap to grab the bike. A E-Line pipe guard, rear disc guard. I’m not fancy on the heads/tps kits everyone has their preferences.

The Six Days seat is around $130 complete with pan. Pretty good seat.

19 hours ago, m_renken said:

Axp extream skid plate............

Hands down the best.

Rear rotor guard and some radiator guards and you're good to go. I'll second Bulletproof designs. Nate does a good job and made in the USA. 🙂  

I too am a fan of the Rekluse. If you do get one get the CX. 

Cycra Probends is what I run.

The vast majority of them don't need the idle screw.  No head and ECU nonsense unless you want to go out and race. Some guys think it's better. 

For the most part generally we all run the same protection from long trusted vendors. :banana:

Nice bike. You'll love it. 

• Helpful 1

Ride it for awhile before doing anything otherwise you'll never know if whatever you change was beneficial or a waste of money.

And what you do add/change should be specific to how and where you ride.  Not every 300 needs to be set up like you're riding erzbergrodeo ultra hard enduro...

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

20 hours ago, Ultra61 said:

I'm a spontaneous kinda guy.. started last Saturday afternoon and ended up today with 300 XC W.. Someone should have told me about the cold warm up needed, but I'm past that now~ hopefully no harm no foul. Real hard to get a better deal than list price on these right now. However, I squeaked out no freight, no prep, and I'm happy w that after all isn't it all that really matters..

I will take some suggestions on excellent performance mods please.. something about rk head? Idle screw? Hell, I don't even know what teeth sprockets are on it.. Oh I'll figure it out, if you don't tell me, I'm good at counting my losses lol.

49943.jpeg

You should play the lottery because you are lucky to find one that isn't already spoken for . I waited a month for mine to come in . I also got it for less than list price which I was shocked and grateful, because these things are harder to find than rocking horse turds . When I went to pick it up the dealer had a few on the floor and I said I see you got some stock in . He says to me yes and everyone is spoken for ,so for you to walk in last Saturday and pick it up today is amazing.

congratulations best of luck

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2