Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've been building my 2019 exc-f 450 for desert racing for a while now. Definitely the wring bike for the job but I'm kind of Too committed to change right now... 

Managed to swap a vortex ecu (mapped for a 500 so not ideal) with a friend for some testing. Also going to do some laps with my sx-f450 ecu to see if the vortex is really worth the investment. 

Exc-f came uncorked with no epa stuff fitted so not even sure what the stock power of the bike really is. Wanted to get her on a dyno but not in the best country for that kind of stuf! Got an sx muffler already. 

Anyone had any similar projects/advice? I've read the jt forum. Apart from the lifted rpm limiter I can't see anything else causing any damage. 

IMG_20210111_153731.jpg

IMG_20210111_153719.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Experimentation of the unknown always a risk, especially if not mapped for the actual bike , but if the mapping is not real close, you'll be limited in adjusting with just 3 dials of external tuning.  Then you'll think, this ecu is not worth it.

But the sxf ecu, is not going to have radiator fan operation, The exc's began using Ecu fan control in 2017.   So with sxf ecu, for fan , you'd need an externally controlled fan set up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are technically significant differences for any of the bikes involved (different injector, different fuel pressure, different MAP or temperature sensors, different crank position sensor or different location of the crank position sensor by a few degrees relative TDC, etc..) then that's more variables that might tilt results in the wrong direction.  Knowing the answers to these might help you decide if the test results would be in any way representative of the proper ECU.  

Edited by sirthumpalot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 17 450 six days which I believe is basically the same bike. I installed a vortex, fastway end cap and removed the baffle cone inside the perf tube and installed the euro airbox boot. I thought about getting the get ecu. but I don't want to tinker with maps. I just want to set it and forget it and have it run great. this thing runs great. It's a whole different bike. I'm running 14/50 gearing, I'll probably try something taller, maybe try a 15T. lots of snap, absolutely no decel popping. when you get into the top third of the throttle this thing screams. it's a little scary actually. (I'm probably just turning into a pussy in my old age)

Edited by randysoo
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took her out and chanced it. Sx ecu is a MONSTER! Makes the bike feel like a mx bike (what I wanted for desert racing) the vortex had significant power increase but felt a lot more torque than singy how I want it. Vortex came with a 2deg ign adv map that was pretty impressive but not sure what the effects all this has on longevity. For the money I'm leaning towards running the sx ecu. 

The sx/exc engines are almost identical on a part number check. Exc is 12:1 sx 13.5:1 comp ratio.

The fuel px is set I'm pretty sure, it's just the injector duration etc that varies with the map. I have a spare sx cam I'm tempted to drop in and see what she does. 

Does anyone have any info about the maps in both bikes? 

The sensible thing to do would have been to buy a sx and lighting kit and tried down the inspection route... 

IMG_20210113_164714.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 8:41 PM, randysoo said:

I have a 17 450 six days which I believe is basically the same bike. I installed a vortex, fastway end cap and removed the baffle cone inside the perf tube and installed the euro airbox boot. I thought about getting the get ecu. but I don't want to tinker with maps. I just want to set it and forget it and have it run great. this thing runs great. It's a whole different bike. I'm running 14/50 gearing, I'll probably try something taller, maybe try a 15T. lots of snap, absolutely no decel popping. when you get into the top third of the throttle this thing screams. it's a little scary actually. (I'm probably just turning into a pussy in my old age)

I went 14/48 I have a 15 but it rubs on the chain slider. 5th grade is a bit spaced out when you Creep up the sprockets. End up hammering 4th to get 5th to be in the power on upshift. Guys I know have swapped out sx 5th to get around this. Too much effort for me with such a low hours motor though. 

Edited by Maki Stavros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious, if the fan works with the SX ECU. You should let it idle and see, if it turns on or boils. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nots0much said:

I'm curious, if the fan works with the SX ECU. You should let it idle and see, if it turns on or boils. 

I'll try remember to check next time im out with the sx ecu. Be pretty simple to put an old school fan thermostat setup. Probably. Use the same relay already on the bike. All my riding is open desert so no real need for it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maki Stavros said:

IMG_20210113_164714.jpg

Couple years ago I was talking to Blais Racing, about installing an sxf ecu in the EXC,  I thought it Bazarre they'd never even thought about trying it.  Mainly the reason I was asking, was to see if they could install exc firmware, with the sxf mapping for ecu fan operation, but they couldnt.   Only a dealer can install the actual type of bike firmware.

But there was another guy around 2016 , 2017 who installed the sxf ecu in a EXC, and it ran, but he wasnt sure if it was mapped well enough. To keep the sxf ecu, to me you need a way to test the fueling of it. BUt sounds like the 450 sxf ecu is giving you better initial result than the 500 vortex, in present config.

Is there no negative areas that you see with the sxf ecu?

did you notice any idle difference bouncing from ecu to ecu (higher or lower)?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Couple years ago I was talking to Blais Racing, about installing an sxf ecu in the EXC,  I thought it Bazarre they'd never even thought about trying it.  Mainly the reason I was asking, was to see if they could install exc firmware, with the sxf mapping for ecu fan operation, but they couldnt.   Only a dealer can install the actual type of bike firmware.

But there was another guy around 2016 , 2017 who installed the sxf ecu in a EXC, and it ran, but he wasnt sure if it was mapped well enough. To keep the sxf ecu, to me you need a way to test the fueling of it. BUt sounds like the 450 sxf ecu is giving you better initial result than the 500 vortex, in present config.

Is there no negative areas that you see with the sxf ecu?

did you notice any idle difference bouncing from ecu to ecu (higher or lower)?

 

 

Fustraying it's a dealer only adjustment. 

I'll probably just go oldschool and keep an eye on the spark plug and exhaust. Ill  chat to the guys at ktm uae and see if they are able to do the fan program. Seems. Wierd they wouldn't because the ecu is the same. Other option is to get an exc ecu anf put a sx map in hoping the fan control stays put. Xc-f is a happy medium if you can get them. Linkage shock, closed cartridge forks, sx engine and map but a bigger tank and light kit for highway. 

Idle was exactly the same. If I swapped them all without looking at the label I'd not tell the difference at idle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Maki Stavros said:

Fustraying it's a dealer only adjustment. 

I'll probably just go oldschool and keep an eye on the spark plug and exhaust. Ill  chat to the guys at ktm uae and see if they are able to do the fan program. Seems. Wierd they wouldn't because the ecu is the same. Other option is to get an exc ecu anf put a sx map in hoping the fan control stays put. Xc-f is a happy medium if you can get them. Linkage shock, closed cartridge forks, sx engine and map but a bigger tank and light kit for highway. 

Idle was exactly the same. If I swapped them all without looking at the label I'd not tell the difference at idle. 

THat was another thing, how is your lighting working with sxf ecu in there?

The 6 speed wide ratio tranny and near double the stator out put with an EXC over an SXF, makes a big Practicality difference, for for frequent use.  2019 450 exc  should be 167 watt stator, but they range from 167 watt to 200 watt output, depending on year model.  The SXF, XCF I believe they have 80 to 100 watt stators.

It doesnt sound like you are in the U.S. so you may have more leeway with changing your ecu, like EXC firmware with an SXF map.  

Edited by Spud786

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lighting seemed OK, wasn't paying much attention though 😐 I can always swap them for tests.

Guys are running front lights on the sx here spliced straight to the battery via a switch 🤣 

Nah I'm in Abu Dhabi great for riding on the road legally with an sx on 19" semi paddle but not so great whwn you need spares or some knowledge to do ecu mods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...