Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I started riding snowmobiles when I was VERY small.  Growing up at 5500 feet in Eastern Idaho - most people rode snowmobiles.  Either because they had to or they loved it as a sport.  Over time, my father transitioned slowly to three wheelers made by Honda - 110's, 185s and so forth and somewhat away from snowmobiles.  I LOVED these machines, especially in the winter when I could spin an endless cookie in the street in front of my house much to the chagrin of my mother.  From there, as I got older, and my parents got older - they moved to quads of all shapes and sizes over the years and I gained a love for trail riding and just being outdoors on a four wheeler.  

Fast forward to a few years ago, I'm now in my late 40's with 4 kids of my own and my oldest son wants to get into dirt bikes.  (We have been riding quads of my own now up to this point.)  So, like a good Dad, I buy him a Kawasaki KX100 and he LOVES the thing.  Now when we go camping or anywhere else where we normally ride, I have to haul this green thing with us as well on my nice quad trailer! (Not happy about that initially.)  Curiosity gets the best of me and I start taking the thing for short rides.  It, at times, scares the **** out of me when I hit the power band, but I do pretty well overall.  Then I start riding it more and more, and my son starts to notice and sees that he is now competing with me for seat time on his bike!  My two younger sons notice and start begging for dirt bikes as well over time - their size dirt bikes that they can ride.  

Long story short - I buy my other sons smaller dirt bikes and pick myself up a Yamaha TTR125 to put around on.  We are all hooked at this point!  All four of us love it and cannot get enough.  Over the last summer we rode anytime we could squeeze it into our schedule. And we are still riding - just went this past Saturday even though there was snow on the trails in a lot of places.  At this point, the thought of riding a quad again is so unappetizing its crazy.  I cannot imagine being on anything but a motorcycle now, quads seems boring, lifeless and safe.   (They boys all have larger bikes now and I moved to a TTR230 for now.)

So what is this "two wheel witchcraft" that exists?  I have never gotten so hooked on something so quickly prior to dirt bikes.   And the disdain I have for quads now is palpable - I still have two of them for my wife and daughter, but I turn my nose up at them every time have to load them or maintain them!  🙂   

I'm sure there are similar experiences out there.  

  • Like 7
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"that is what happens"

Dirt biking is like skiing. Very fluid and after a period of time, you no longer notice the skis or bike. Just you slicing and dicing very naturally. A quad, you must shift your body around a lot to control at speed, a very conscious effort whereas on a bike, you lean. Ever notice guys running track? They naturally lean in to the corners.

The only cure for your demons is more seat time Bwahahaha!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jared Bauer said:

I started riding snowmobiles when I was VERY small.  Growing up at 5500 feet in Eastern Idaho - most people rode snowmobiles.  Either because they had to or they loved it as a sport.  Over time, my father transitioned slowly to three wheelers made by Honda - 110's, 185s and so forth and somewhat away from snowmobiles.  I LOVED these machines, especially in the winter when I could spin an endless cookie in the street in front of my house much to the chagrin of my mother.  From there, as I got older, and my parents got older - they moved to quads of all shapes and sizes over the years and I gained a love for trail riding and just being outdoors on a four wheeler.  

Fast forward to a few years ago, I'm now in my late 40's with 4 kids of my own and my oldest son wants to get into dirt bikes.  (We have been riding quads of my own now up to this point.)  So, like a good Dad, I buy him a Kawasaki KX100 and he LOVES the thing.  Now when we go camping or anywhere else where we normally ride, I have to haul this green thing with us as well on my nice quad trailer! (Not happy about that initially.)  Curiosity gets the best of me and I start taking the thing for short rides.  It, at times, scares the **** out of me when I hit the power band, but I do pretty well overall.  Then I start riding it more and more, and my son starts to notice and sees that he is now competing with me for seat time on his bike!  My two younger sons notice and start begging for dirt bikes as well over time - their size dirt bikes that they can ride.  

Long story short - I buy my other sons smaller dirt bikes and pick myself up a Yamaha TTR125 to put around on.  We are all hooked at this point!  All four of us love it and cannot get enough.  Over the last summer we rode anytime we could squeeze it into our schedule. And we are still riding - just went this past Saturday even though there was snow on the trails in a lot of places.  At this point, the thought of riding a quad again is so unappetizing its crazy.  I cannot imagine being on anything but a motorcycle now, quads seems boring, lifeless and safe.   (They boys all have larger bikes now and I moved to a TTR230 for now.)

So what is this "two wheel witchcraft" that exists?  I have never gotten so hooked on something so quickly prior to dirt bikes.   And the disdain I have for quads now is palpable - I still have two of them for my wife and daughter, but I turn my nose up at them every time have to load them or maintain them!  🙂   

I'm sure there are similar experiences out there.  

amazing how life changes when ya drop the training wheels 🙂

Life seen from 2 wheels is different!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's amazing.  Most people who suffer from kwadarrhea never recover.  The disease progresses steadily until death.   To see someone recover from kwadarrhea and start working their way back from the debilitating mental and physical toll it takes is heart warming.  You sir, are a warrior.  Stay strong and it'll get better every day.

Doc

  • Like 4
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

It's amazing.  Most people who suffer from kwadarrhea never recover.  The disease progresses steadily until death.   To see someone recover from kwadarrhea and start working their way back from the debilitating mental and physical toll it takes is heart warming.  You sir, are a warrior.  Stay strong and it'll get better every day.

Doc

Wow - did not even realize there was a term for what I had!  I'm very happy to be recovering from 'kwadarreha' and seem to be doing well.  

Am I bad person at this point to see people hauling or riding quads and look down at them?  

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Jared Bauer said:

Wow - did not even realize there was a term for what I had!  I'm very happy to be recovering from 'kwadarreha' and seem to be doing well.  

Am I bad person at this point to see people hauling or riding quads and look down at them?  

No you're trying to help them. Unlike other disabilities, kwadtards choose to be kwadtards. Carefully applied insults and public shaming can only help them. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Jared Bauer said:

Wow - did not even realize there was a term for what I had!  I'm very happy to be recovering from 'kwadarreha' and seem to be doing well.  

Am I bad person at this point to see people hauling or riding quads and look down at them?  

I don't look down on your for riding 2 wheels....but I might pass ya

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rjg said:

You have become an addict of the best drug in the world - dirtbiking

Going to have to agree with you at this point, and like any addiction I'm surely spending too much money on it at this point, but no end in sight!

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would kwadtardism be considered a genetic/birth defect?

I wonder what they think of while mounting what is essentially a mechanical hobby horse

YIPPEE! ima go rope some GOATS!

yeah 4 wheels are a HARD pass for me

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slackkinhard said:

I think they all have their place. Anything with wheels is more fun than running or walking 🙂

I just cannot get over how NUMB and non-tactile riding a quad is like now after having become relatively used to riding a dirt bike.  It's like I could take a nap on a quad whereas you have to be so much more "present" when riding a motorcycle.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jared Bauer said:

I just cannot get over how NUMB and non-tactile riding a quad is like now after having become relatively used to riding a dirt bike.  It's like I could take a nap on a quad whereas you have to be so much more "present" when riding a motorcycle.  

agreed 100%. However, there are activities like night rides in the dunes, or packing a carcass out that warrant them. The big 4x4 quads are pretty gnar. Amazing what you can run into hard enough and somehow come out the other side. For hauling shovels and trail maintenance equipment or for when your lady needs to bring a cooler and cold beer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2021 at 12:55 PM, Jared Bauer said:

I started riding snowmobiles when I was VERY small.  Growing up at 5500 feet in Eastern Idaho - most people rode snowmobiles.  Either because they had to or they loved it as a sport.  Over time, my father transitioned slowly to three wheelers made by Honda - 110's, 185s and so forth and somewhat away from snowmobiles.  I LOVED these machines, especially in the winter when I could spin an endless cookie in the street in front of my house much to the chagrin of my mother.  From there, as I got older, and my parents got older - they moved to quads of all shapes and sizes over the years and I gained a love for trail riding and just being outdoors on a four wheeler.  

Fast forward to a few years ago, I'm now in my late 40's with 4 kids of my own and my oldest son wants to get into dirt bikes.  (We have been riding quads of my own now up to this point.)  So, like a good Dad, I buy him a Kawasaki KX100 and he LOVES the thing.  Now when we go camping or anywhere else where we normally ride, I have to haul this green thing with us as well on my nice quad trailer! (Not happy about that initially.)  Curiosity gets the best of me and I start taking the thing for short rides.  It, at times, scares the **** out of me when I hit the power band, but I do pretty well overall.  Then I start riding it more and more, and my son starts to notice and sees that he is now competing with me for seat time on his bike!  My two younger sons notice and start begging for dirt bikes as well over time - their size dirt bikes that they can ride.  

Long story short - I buy my other sons smaller dirt bikes and pick myself up a Yamaha TTR125 to put around on.  We are all hooked at this point!  All four of us love it and cannot get enough.  Over the last summer we rode anytime we could squeeze it into our schedule. And we are still riding - just went this past Saturday even though there was snow on the trails in a lot of places.  At this point, the thought of riding a quad again is so unappetizing its crazy.  I cannot imagine being on anything but a motorcycle now, quads seems boring, lifeless and safe.   (They boys all have larger bikes now and I moved to a TTR230 for now.)

So what is this "two wheel witchcraft" that exists?  I have never gotten so hooked on something so quickly prior to dirt bikes.   And the disdain I have for quads now is palpable - I still have two of them for my wife and daughter, but I turn my nose up at them every time have to load them or maintain them!  🙂   

I'm sure there are similar experiences out there.  

Getting rid of the training wheels is a right of passage for fellas.😁

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

×
×
  • Create New...