sirthumpalot

High dollar helmets worth it?

2 hours ago, yz250f 78 said:

A motocross helmet is hard inside. It’s just an extension of your head then. Still gonna have concussions.  A motocross helmet just keeps u from getting a hole in your head.  
Funny how a football helmet is soft inside and cushions the impact and a motocross helmet is not.  A thin liner doesn’t count.  

I had my bell rung in high school playing football... wearing a top of the line BIKE water helmet...

I was 15 or 16 and got hit SO hard that even though I was conscious I STILL do not remember anything between walking back to the huddle and waking the next morning with a screaming headache and a knot on my forehead...

I am 53 years old now...

people that witnessed me afterward said I was acting like a completely different person, aggressive and loud and as though I was incredibly drunk

that was some scary shit for me, my friends  and my family

my MX helmet now has better padding than my football helmet did then

i GLADLY paid the asking price for my Shoei

Edited by TexasBlues
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

I had my bell rung in high school playing football... wearing a top of the line BIKE water helmet...

I was 15 or 16 and got hit SO hard that even though I was conscious I STILL do not remember anything between walking back to the huddle and waking the next morning with a screaming headache and a knot on my forehead...

I am 53 years old now...

people that witnessed me afterward said I was acting like a completely different person, aggressive and loud and as though I was incredibly drunk

that was some scary shit for me, my friends  and my family

my MX helmet now has better padding than my football helmet did then

I’m talking about the football helmet of today! Way better technology 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eastreich said:

You are comparing apples to watermelons.  Completely different kinds of impacts and force studies between the two.

As someone who has played the game extensively, studied the CTE ramifications, had a father-in-law deal (and die) with Parkinsons which was probably a result of CTE from years of playing, and in all likelihood has CTE myself in my brain from repeated micro-concussions from those non-stop football impacts, you are so far out of touch with this kind of comparison I just don't know what to say, at least that won't get me sent to time out or banned for a while.

If this is what you truly believe about motorcycle helmets, I just don't know what to tell you.  

Football is more hits to the head? Then maybe motocross should take some advice from there technology. 

1 minute ago, yz250f 78 said:

Football is more hits to the head? Then maybe motocross should take some advice from there technology. 

You are an idiot.

Edit:  If I get banned for this comment, so be it.  I don't care.

Edited by eastreich
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, yz250f 78 said:

Not even comparable. Football helmets have to be able to take dozens of hits within a game. A motocross helmet using collapsable Foam is a different, one use design.  

• Like 2

Just now, eastreich said:

You are an idiot.

Wow!   A hit to a head is a hit to a head wether it’s the ground or another helmet.  

1 minute ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Not even comparable. Football helmets have to be able to take dozens of hits within a game. A motocross helmet using collapsable Foam is a different, one use design.  

Ya which is dumb!  U crash a lot you’ll go broke!   That’s how they make there money I guess.  

Just now, yz250f 78 said:

Wow!   A hit to a head is a hit to a head wether it’s the ground or another helmet.  

Go stick a football helmet on your head and take a trip over the bars at 45mph.  The odds that you even survive the accident, much less spend the rest of your life without being in a vegetative state or permanently bound to a wheel chair are around a million to one.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

• Helpful 2

2 minutes ago, eastreich said:

Go stick a football helmet on your head and take a trip over the bars at 45mph.  The odds that you even survive the accident, much less spend the rest of your life without being in a vegetative state or permanently bound to a wheel chair are around a million to one.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Bottom line.  No matter how much tech and how much money u spend your still gonna bang your head and still get that concussion. Now when your comparing weight of helmets that’s a big deal. A lighter helmet is safer!!  

Just now, yz250f 78 said:

Bottom line.  No matter how much tech and how much money u spend your still gonna bang your head and still get that concussion. Now when your comparing weight of helmets that’s a big deal. A lighter helmet is safer!!  

So you have no idea just how heavy a football helmet is.  You do understand if a helmet is too light it may not be able to properly absorb and disperse impact across the shell to a wider area.  Right, you don't.  Again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

It CAN BE a matter of how much tech and money you spend.  A cheap non-forgiving thermoplastic shell and single density EPS layer in a sub $200 helmet will give you a concussion with the same hit that sends almost negligible energy to your skull that a high end composite shell, multi-density EPS, MIPS/Gel helmet would.  The cheap helmet transferred the forces to your brain, the expensive helmet sacrificed itself so those forces didn't go to your brain.

Consider that the guys at 6D have been part of the research team that the NFL put together a few years ago to help develop the helmets that are just coming out now for players to use.

So, the people at the forefront of football helmet studies are looking to incorporate motorcycle helmet technology to improve concussion safety.

https://www.6dhelmets.com/tag/football/

I would tell you to quit while you were ahead, but you already started miles behind the discussion.

32 minutes ago, yz250f 78 said:

Ya which is dumb!  U crash a lot you’ll go broke!   That’s how they make there money I guess.  

What are you talking about?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, eastreich said:

So you have no idea just how heavy a football helmet is.  You do understand if a helmet is too light it may not be able to properly absorb and disperse impact across the shell to a wider area.  Right, you don't.  Again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

It CAN BE a matter of how much tech and money you spend.  A cheap non-forgiving thermoplastic shell and single density EPS layer in a sub $200 helmet will give you a concussion with the same hit that sends almost negligible energy to your skull that a high end composite shell, multi-density EPS, MIPS/Gel helmet would.  The cheap helmet transferred the forces to your brain, the expensive helmet sacrificed itself so those forces didn't go to your brain.

Consider that the guys at 6D have been part of the research team that the NFL put together a few years ago to help develop the helmets that are just coming out now for players to use.

So, the people at the forefront of football helmet studies are looking to incorporate motorcycle helmet technology to improve concussion safety.

https://www.6dhelmets.com/tag/football/

I would tell you to quit while you were ahead, but you already started miles behind the discussion.

The people over at Airoh seem to make the lightest helmet.  Your 6d helmet, Zach bell debuted it in supercross, crashed and knocked himself out. Why would anyone go out to buy the 6d?  Because all the bells and whistles? That’s how they get u to buy bro!

• Haha 3

As a helmet being to light that’s bullshit. Never once went through tech inspection at a pro motocross race and my helmet was put on a scale.  You gonna wear a 3-4 lb helmet or a 2 lb helmet? You’ll be a bobble head with the 3-4 lb.     expand your mind helmet goddess. 

23 hours ago, sirthumpalot said:

I'm hoping someone has already done the homework, but can anyone comment as to whether the more expensive helmets (more than $200-ish) tend to protect better than the more budget $100-$200 range helmets?  Some of them get up close to $1000, but which models actually have the best protection, ignoring the price? 

I have cracked my skull on low tree branches doing a brisk cross country ride, and yeup I wend the cheap route, I split open my bargain helmet and got knocked on my backside. Go buy the best/safest dot-snell approved helmet that money can buy, or end up like me.🤪

• Haha 1

Interestingly the latest standards also cover things stuck to the helmet (cameras, communication devices).  I had a GoPro on top while zooming through the woods, ducked a thinnish branch enough to miss my helmet but caught the camera perfectly.  It darn near yanked me right off the bike, whatever glue they use for those mounts is serious stuff!  Anyway, I can definitely see how something stuck on like a camera could twist your neck in a funny way if you hit the ground with it just right.  

• Like 1

Helmet Cameras Banned in All Amateur AMA Racing Disciplines. Effective January 1, 2021, cameras or other accessories will NOT be permitted to be attached to a rider's helmet in all amateur AMA Racing disciplines, the American Motorcyclist Association announced on Monday.Dec 15, 2020

• Helpful 1

I will wear nothing but a 6D helmet.  Prior to the 6D the plastic shells often performed better than the carbon fiber because of stiffness.  The force of an impact is related to how quickly things slow down, or de-acceleration.  To get that you essentially need something to compress, and the cheap helmets did that better until they encountered more force than they could withstand and broke.  The styrofoam is where the compression is supposed to from on a conventional helmet, but it is so stiff you can see over 450g hitting the brain.  6D has put in place a series of small hour glass shaped elastomer pieces that compress and allow more "de-acceleration".  Your big impacts are typically more like 250g in the 6D helmet.  It is very sound technology, I bought them for both my adult sons in addition to myself because I felt it was important enough to warrant the purchase.  You'll see a lot of MIPS helmets as well, and while it's an improvement in my opinion the 6D is better.  MIPS allows for some rotational motion between the shell and the styrofoam to reduce torsion, but the 6D does that and provides more direct impact compression.

8 hours ago, brownballin said:

so ive always liked the saying that

You don't need to spend $1000 on an exhaust or suspension if your not willing to spend it on your brain.

I Agree.

Scooped up a Google executive once who flew corporate jets in his spare time for shitz and giggles.  The Rolex watch on his left wrist looked out of place alongside the $120.00 BiLT helmet that failed.  

Full disclosure, the Rolex didn't fair too well either.  He may have survived had he invested just a little more in his safety gear.   I bet he'd have made a different purchase if he'd been clairvoyant.   

Do your research, buy what you can afford.  I personally place more value on my head than I do accessories and performance upgrades.  But, to be honest, I see things differently now that I'm over 50 and have come to realize I'm not invincible anymore.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1