honda spewer

How to get scratches out of plastic is there a way??

Hey y’all I’m just looking at how to get some scratches out of my plastics is there a way I’m not sure I haven’t seen much on how to do it but is there anything I can do 

and no I’m not buying some new plastics 

2 hours ago, honda spewer said:

Hey y’all I’m just looking at how to get some scratches out of my plastics is there a way I’m not sure I haven’t seen much on how to do it but is there anything I can do 

Clean all the excess material use a heat gun, doesn't fix the scratches but helps hide them. Practice on a area you wont see, its easy to over do it !

There are videos on line.  Scrape or sand the scratches out. Then use a heat gun to make it shinny again.  I don't think a blow dryer will work.  Not hot enough.  I would not use a heat gun on a gas tank.  Pretty cool results on line.

Don’t use heat, sand it by hand. Step up in grain and use polish on an electric buffer and keep it cool. Eg- 180-240-400-800-3000-fine polish. Did mine and they are brand new again. Experiment with grit. The heat gun kind of works depending on the plastic but never looks the same and it’s easy to ruin it.

1 minute ago, Bryan II said:

How I generally fix boo boos:

ouch.png

Whenever a forklift at work gets a new scratch we always make the driver sign and date it just like that. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BOAB said:

Well I'll be, I didn't know that they made such a thing. 😁

Yeah, not so much. Will never look like new. Got a free can and its basically rattle can clear coat. G

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, honda spewer said:

I've used the plastic renew kit in the past. It works just OK and a lot of work for only OK results. 

Scratches themselves are difficult to actually remove, so I settle for getting them clean and polish the plastics and have good results. 

I've tried many techniques and products over the years.  I find these the easiest and decent results.

Clean with the Goo Gone and Brakekleen. Use the magic eraser to get into the crevices.  

Then use the SC1 and buff with lint free cloth. 

20210113_180148.jpg.e02aaf850a376b8bbef41cae059a58fe.jpg20210113_180232.thumb.jpg.045b171adc662b673f44e63c95bb4c0d.jpg

Results are pretty good.  

My current '09 300xcw refresh with original plastics after the cleaning process. 

20210113_181409.jpg.58b9826aea55b9e9dcc80f973d7ebb1c.jpg

Doing a refresher on a '05 DRZ for a buddy.  White is difficult,  but got them looking decent. 

20210113_181627.jpg.e3a48b81bcf8094f55c8347bde16ae26.jpg

Hope this helps 

• Like 1