zachsnacks

XR200 XR 200 R Clutch cable length

I have a cable I bought to replace the old stretched one, but when I put it in, the nuts had to be backed all the way to the end of the thread, and the handle adjuster backed all the out as well just to get it to grab. 

Can someone tell me the length of the cable itself, wondering if I ended up with the wrong cable. 

What year XR200R?
What brand and part number cable did you buy?

The wire is always longer than the housing but I don't know how much sticks out.  The adjuster on the engine end has a lot of adjustment room and I've never used all of it.  Number  7 in this fiche is the clutch cable holder and it needs to be installed correctly:

spacer.png

6 hours ago, zachsnacks said:

I have a cable I bought to replace the old stretched one, but when I put it in, the nuts had to be backed all the way to the end of the thread, and the handle adjuster backed all the out as well just to get it to grab. 

Can someone tell me the length of the cable itself, wondering if I ended up with the wrong cable. 

Can you post pics of both cable ends installed?  Any chance you may have ended up with a front brake cable....?:thinking:

Old School Al

20 hours ago, Chuck. said:

What year XR200R?
What brand and part number cable did you buy?

The wire is always longer than the housing but I don't know how much sticks out.  The adjuster on the engine end has a lot of adjustment room and I've never used all of it.  Number  7 in this fiche is the clutch cable holder and it needs to be installed correctly:

spacer.png

Unfortunately I dont remember what the part number was, it was bought a month ago, before I was pulled away for work. 

Attached images, as you can see its backed out on both ends. 

If someone can get me a cable length, not housing I can confirm if its correct. 

Thanks! 

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

Ok........the pics are perfect!   One thing I see, the adjuster nuts on the engine bracket are not installed correctly.   Both need to be on the front side of the bracket............one is the adjusting nut, and the other the lock nut.  Also, the adjuster at the lever hasn't been replaced with a shorter one has it...........it doesn't appear to be adjusted out very far?  I don't have a cable handy to measure so not much help there.  Is that a OEM cable you bought.....?

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

8 hours ago, Old School Al said:

Ok........the pics are perfect!   One thing I see, the adjuster nuts on the engine bracket are not installed correctly.   Both need to be on the front side of the bracket............one is the adjusting nut, and the other the lock nut.  Also, the adjuster at the lever hasn't been replaced with a shorter one has it...........it doesn't appear to be adjusted out very far?  I don't have a cable handy to measure so not much help there.  Is that a OEM cable you bought.....?

Old School Al

I bought an oem cable, but can not confirm since it was over a month, though I know I would have. 

The nuts needs to be moved, that was the part I was not catching. And I would assume the handle adjuster has been switched, I bought it from a sketchy character, but he had a title, so just going through bringing things back up to speed with what it should be. 

Thanks for your help!