R.I.P Joel Robert

Rest In Peace.  He was one of my favorites back in the late ‘60s and ‘70s.  Actually saw him race a couple of times.  Heard he liked to party, even before race day.

• Like 1

Just now, Gflo said:

Rest In Peace.  He was one of my favorites back in the late ‘60s and ‘70s.  Actually saw him race a couple of times.  Heard he liked to party, even before race day.

Never got to see him race. Wish I had! 

1 minute ago, 00boob said:

Never got to see him race. Wish I had! 

Living in SoCal during that time, we got to see all the guys from Europe.  I used to hit the Trans Am and Inter Am races at Saddleback, and a bunch of the well known Europeans would show up and race.  Also wandered around the tech inspection area for the 1977 Carlsbad Grand Prix.  It was held in a local mall parking lot.  All the works bikes and the racers were there, freely talking to the crowd.  Got to meet my hero (in those days), Roger DeCoster.  It was quite a thrill to see all those exotic bikes and the superstars of international motocross up close.

• Like 2

Apparently the 'rona got him.  RIP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gflo said:

Living in SoCal during that time, we got to see all the guys from Europe.  I used to hit the Trans Am and Inter Am races at Saddleback, and a bunch of the well known Europeans would show up and race.  Also wandered around the tech inspection area for the 1977 Carlsbad Grand Prix.  It was held in a local mall parking lot.  All the works bikes and the racers were there, freely talking to the crowd.  Got to meet my hero (in those days), Roger DeCoster.  It was quite a thrill to see all those exotic bikes and the superstars of international motocross up close.

Very cool.      Obviously made a lasting impression.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOAB said:

Apparently the 'rona got him.  RIP.

Complications after having it.   From all I have read, that bug can be very tough on some folks.

Yes, one of the great pioneers of the sport. I love Motocross Outdoors and the Great riders that built the sport.

Edited by Da Plumber
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, G 9.5 said:

when men were men...........

Found this footage of 71 FIM Luxembourge MXGP.    Some good stuff, pretty funny to if you go to settings and change the auto-translate to English. Its a little off the mark.

• Like 3

RIP Big Man! 

What a bummer, all of Belgium must be crying.  🥴

• Like 1

when I first wanted to start riding dirt bikes at age 55. I studied the sport a little and then looked at the history of each Japanese Brand. Joel was highlighted in so much of what was available in 2014. He was pretty much a marvel in the sport along with several of his other competitors either previously mentioned or in photos posted on the "thread" so far. Someone wrote about Carlsbad. I didn't get to California till 1980. I wanted so much to go to one of the Grand Prix races there but I was either (underway or had duty) during the events still being run there.

Joel in the videos I saw of his history in MX. He looked like it came all natural to him. Being "ONE" with whatever Racing Machine he rode for the "Factory" is what I always saw. Those are the things all the GREAT Riders inspire in me. He was an All-Time-Great and a humble man of sorts. It seemed in all his interviews he just enjoyed the sport and I could almost bet as long as he could swing a leg over one, it brought him joy. I can't but imagine the people he rode with after his hey-days shared the same joy just being in his company. It is a great lose for those of us who actually knew of the man and he will be missed. 

• Helpful 1