Am I an idiot?

Okay, I am not an idiot. Apologies for the clickbait title.

However I have a question. I got back into riding in the fall after a 15 year hiatus and bought an XR650l brand new, mainly because it was known to be both cheap and reliable and the dealer would allow me to finance basically every single thing I needed.

However, I am not riding on the street at all and have now spent quite a bit of money to turn the XR into what is basically a very heavy dirtbike...(see photos) I have done almost every major mod except for the Dave’s jetting and some custom suspension.

Am I crazy?

I can’t really sell the bike because of the loan package (and I have kind of abused it) and I have to ask an obvious question; how many of you fellow XR riders use this bike exclusively for fast dirt riding and hard(ish) enduro? I have now put 700 miles on it and besides the weight, I have been having a lot of fun, (which is the most important thing!) but am afraid I was a total idiot. Im an aggressive rider and want to do some hare scrambles and enduro races this year...

5E84C470-D319-41C5-A6E4-BF6B24A370A8.jpeg

• Like 2

As a fellow idiot here, I’m also racing the pig all next summer, although I’m doing the supermoto series here in Oregon/Washington. 
so the best part about taking a air cooled heavy dual sport bike to a competitive environment is passing people. A dude on a 450 has zero excuse to get passed by you. 
it’s a ton of work and you will question your sanity (as you should) but it’s totally worth it. 

Also sweet bike 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

Also you absolutely should do Dave’s jetting. Or get an Keihin fcr mx.

If you want to feel good about spending money on a heavy slow bike check out  some of the 650ls on adv.  they truly have the sickness, you are just dabbling in it.

now you need a hardened cam and rockers, iggy ignition, fcr mx, high comp piston, and battery box delete. 
check out the aloop kit as well. 

Edited by Bigfatredpig
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Ok first things first it's the longest living dual sport that is for all intents and purposes a xr600r with turn signals and electric start so at it's heart it's a dirt bike

As far as racing goes we ran the 600r in baja and other races for a decade until the 650r put the 600 out to pasture johny campbell was very competitive on the 600 and I would bet that even today the 650L with appropriate suspension and a good rider would be more than competitive in any race it would enter if you have the fortitude to stay behind the bars it worked in baja then it will work for you now just because it's not the newest fancy bike out there doesn't really account for much in the dirt.

Perspectively my brother in law had only gotten into dirt bikes a few years before the wife and I moved to Washington and we had never ridden together before we took a trip to Coos Bay as a family and he was laughing at all my old iron I was rolling out of the trailer after we arrived he took a ride on the xr down the beach and brought it back got off and to this day will not get anywhere near the bike because the 3rd gear power wheelies in the sand on a dirt tire scared him compared to his 450 and he'll never admit it but everyone is pretty sure he pissed himself when he rode my banshee 105hp will do that to the uninitiated 

Long story short the xr650l is a sledgehammer in today's world of precision instruments  but if you gain the skills needed to be precise with it you'll have the edge in every situation because sometimes you just need a sledgehammer

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Also you absolutely should do Dave’s jetting. Or get an Keihin fcr mx.

If you want to feel good about spending money on a heavy slow bike check out  some of the 650ls on adv.  they truly have the sickness, you are just dabbling in it.

now you need a hardened cam and rockers, iggy ignition, fcr mx, high comp piston, and battery box delete. 
check out the aloop kit as well. 

good points all

14 hours ago, dieseleveryday said:

Ok first things first it's the longest living dual sport that is for all intents and purposes a xr600r with turn signals and electric start so at it's heart it's a dirt bike

As far as racing goes we ran the 600r in baja and other races for a decade until the 650r put the 600 out to pasture johny campbell was very competitive on the 600 and I would bet that even today the 650L with appropriate suspension and a good rider would be more than competitive in any race it would enter if you have the fortitude to stay behind the bars it worked in baja then it will work for you now just because it's not the newest fancy bike out there doesn't really account for much in the dirt.

Perspectively my brother in law had only gotten into dirt bikes a few years before the wife and I moved to Washington and we had never ridden together before we took a trip to Coos Bay as a family and he was laughing at all my old iron I was rolling out of the trailer after we arrived he took a ride on the xr down the beach and brought it back got off and to this day will not get anywhere near the bike because the 3rd gear power wheelies in the sand on a dirt tire scared him compared to his 450 and he'll never admit it but everyone is pretty sure he pissed himself when he rode my banshee 105hp will do that to the uninitiated 

Long story short the xr650l is a sledgehammer in today's world of precision instruments  but if you gain the skills needed to be precise with it you'll have the edge in every situation because sometimes you just need a sledgehammer

3rd gear wheelies on the beach at CB? The speed limit is a strict 25 on the beach you hooligan. ?

I've busted the cops with my own radar gun doing 75 on the beach in their truck the guy who has the house next to our cabin at the lake there is highway patrol and rides with us he wrote both officers a nice ticket.

Never really understood how oregon got away with turning beaches into "highways"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dieseleveryday said:

I've busted the cops with my own radar gun doing 75 on the beach in their truck the guy who has the house next to our cabin at the lake there is highway patrol and rides with us he wrote both officers a nice ticket.

Never really understood how oregon got away with turning beaches into "highways"

Used to be the only way to get from Brookings to Bandon. You know those coastal woods and a thousand creeks with deep draws right down to the beach were just about impossible to keep a trail through. Wayyy faster to use the beach. Grandfathered public right of way is awesome. 

https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/oregon_beach_bill/#.YACbhxiIadM

Edited by GreatWhiteFire

I raced an XR650L for years in hare scrambles. I never even wanted a different bike, but then bought a 2007 525 EXC with all of the goodies, and while the KTM is an excellent bike, I still LOVE the 650. In fact a few weeks ago I went to Croom, a sand paradise for bikes in Florida and rode the KTM awhile until the clutch cylinder gave out, then pulled out the "L" and took a few laps. Man, I missed that bike!!! I have been off of the bikes awhile (living in Key West), however will be riding quite a bit more now.

I am putting the 525 up for sale and will be mainly riding the "L" off-road. With that being said...I have Ohlins forks and an Ohlins shock (being rebuilt now) and some decent motor modifications. I cannot imagine riding the L without waking the motor up and getting decent suspension. The gutless motor and wallowy soft suspension just does not do it for me, but to each their own. If you will put a larger, higher compression piston, cam, valves, etc. go to 14/48 gearing and add an exhaust and FCR MX carb dialed in, the bike is an absolute hoot!!! For the Florida sand, I am running a Goldentyre fatty front and ordered a Teraflex rear tire, almost like cheating. I'll be headed up to North Carolina and Tennessee this spring and will swap the tires out as needed.

I say go for it and have a blast. It used to be fun to race (Was never super fast but could hold my own and did ok)and pass riders with a license plate and horn... I'm looking forward to getting out and riding again!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jonathan Mills said:

Okay, I am not an idiot. Apologies for the clickbait title.

However I have a question. I got back into riding in the fall after a 15 year hiatus and bought an XR650l brand new, mainly because it was known to be both cheap and reliable and the dealer would allow me to finance basically every single thing I needed.

However, I am not riding on the street at all and have now spent quite a bit of money to turn the XR into what is basically a very heavy dirtbike...(see photos) I have done almost every major mod except for the Dave’s jetting and some custom suspension.

Am I crazy?

I can’t really sell the bike because of the loan package (and I have kind of abused it) and I have to ask an obvious question; how many of you fellow XR riders use this bike exclusively for fast dirt riding and hard(ish) enduro? I have now put 700 miles on it and besides the weight, I have been having a lot of fun, (which is the most important thing!) but am afraid I was a total idiot. Im an aggressive rider and want to do some hare scrambles and enduro races this year...

5E84C470-D319-41C5-A6E4-BF6B24A370A8.jpeg

Too late for buyers remorse. Embrace the pig. Yes, she's a big girl but still fun to dance with!    BTW, you haven't done every major mod yet (not even close). 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Back in the early 2000's a buddy and I did several of the Best in the Desert races in Nevada on XR650R's with modified Exhaust/AirBox Intake Cover and Suspension, we were competitive in the over 40 Expert Class on it. It was heavy, but it had way more motor than the old air cooled XR650L model. And Precision Concepts did a great job modifying the suspension for desert racing.  

• Like 2

Sold my xr back in the day to get a 300 for the exact reasons you describe.  XR platform is horrible for enduro, especially hard enduro.  Just keep it for desert cruising, which it's great for, and get a used 300 for enduro.  No brainer.  Good luck

I have a 1982 550XT Yamaha and a 2001 KTM EXC 400. I have run hare scrambles with each of them. The KTM is quicker, but the 550 is actually more fun! It pulls like a tractor. I can damn near stall it in 3rd, roll the throttle and be gone! I did change the suspension to the forks and shock from an IT 400 to get some travel for the occasional air time. I always though that if I blew the KTM up, I'd put the 550 engine in the KTM chassis.

• Like 2

If you are in superior shape and have superior skills, yeh sure, go ride an enduro on one.  Scott Summers was a beast of a man and riding the 600R which is 60lbs lighter than the "L."   He was an outlier, and no one in my memory duplicated his accomplishments on the 600Rs and definitely not on a 650L in an enduro. 

The 650L is a fun dualsport, great for enjoying the wide open desert  or some moderate trails.   

Can you do it, have folks done it... sure.  Nothing stopping you or anyone else from doing it.  In a true enduro it will be nothing more than a struggle for survival, enduring misery.   Definitely not enjoyable, unless that's your thing.   Go exercise on foot climbing some steep hill carrying 120 lbs to give yourself some perspective.  I suggest you sign up and ride one to answer these questions for yourself.    I'd wager you will be thinking of ways to save money for a used two stroke within an hour if not sooner during the enduro.   

Enjoy it for what it is and don't foolishly  spend too much money trying to make into something it never will be or use it in a way it was never intended.   Great bike, enjoy it.

Edited by Captain.Olives
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CMCS Seabee said:

I have a 1982 550XT Yamaha and a 2001 KTM EXC 400. I have run hare scrambles with each of them. The KTM is quicker, but the 550 is actually more fun! It pulls like a tractor. I can damn near stall it in 3rd, roll the throttle and be gone! I did change the suspension to the forks and shock from an IT 400 to get some travel for the occasional air time. I always though that if I blew the KTM up, I'd put the 550 engine in the KTM chassis.

Be careful airing out that XT. I had a buddy that used to love jumping his.  Broke the frame almost completely in 2, just behind the steering head. Zero warning.