ToddD5280

Carburator Replacement Recommendations (Honda CRF250X, 2004)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a carburator replacement for a 2004 CRF250X? They're a dime a dozen on eBay, but has anyone really bought and installed one? Knock-offs for sure. Long story short, I've picked up a used 2004 CRFX that sat for years. I've cleaned the carb. and found a crack, it's leaking fuel. I'd rather start fresh rather than piece together replacement parts, but I'd also rather avoid the $500 for a name brand replacement. Thoughts?

Since I plan to keep my 250X until I'm not riding anymore and then maybe turn it over to my son, if I run into carburetor issues at any time, I'm going to buy one of these instead of the traditional carburetor - https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/sbm/crf-250-kits.html

Essentially the opposite of the question you asked about inexpensive eBay barbs as it's a bit pricey, but I put similar money into my SFF TAC Air front suspension so would probably do the same on something as important as fueling for the bike.  Just wanted to provide another option in case you weren't familiar with it.

1 hour ago, petza914 said:

Since I plan to keep my 250X until I'm not riding anymore and then maybe turn it over to my son, if I run into carburetor issues at any time, I'm going to buy one of these instead of the traditional carburetor - https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/sbm/crf-250-kits.html

Going by the pics on that link I hope that the adjustment screw at the top/rear of that carb doesn't need frequent fine tuning 

as in a CRF250X chassis it would be a real pain to access, hopefully they come up with a remote adjustment knob for it.

All-out performance wise, I still think a standard carburetor with it's multiple adjustable circuits will outperform a Lectron,

(I think many a 2-stroke guy has learned this the hard way $$$)

though their main advantage remains it's 'self-compensating' for changes in air density if riding in always changing elevations or ambient temps.

Not sure as well if that carb has provision for installing the TPS sensor which affects the ignition timing curve of the ECU.

No accelerator pump (?) may be adequate for trail riding but I'd be curious in situations needing immediate throttle 

response and a quick burst of power to get you out of trouble, or say like on a short run-up to a jump.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mlatour said:

Going by the pics on that link I hope that the adjustment screw at the top/rear of that carb doesn't need frequent fine tuning 

as in a CRF250X chassis it would be a real pain to access, hopefully they come up with a remote adjustment knob for it.

All-out performance wise, I still think a standard carburetor with it's multiple adjustable circuits will outperform a Lectron,

(I think many a 2-stroke guy has learned this the hard way $$$)

though their main advantage remains it's 'self-compensating' for changes in air density if riding in always changing elevations or ambient temps.

Not sure as well if that carb has provision for installing the TPS sensor which affects the ignition timing curve of the ECU.

No accelerator pump (?) may be adequate for trail riding but I'd be curious in situations needing immediate throttle 

response and a quick burst of power to get you out of trouble, or say like on a short run-up to a jump.

All good points that I'd have to factor in should I ever get to that point.  For the time being, I run fuel stabilizer, non-ethanol fuel in the dirt bikes with dual fuel filters (in tank and external one) to try and keep any carburetor work at bay.  I carry a spare section of proper length fuel hose zip-tied to the frame should that external filter ever come apart or crack in a crash so I don't get stranded on a trail.  This may actually be a tip you gave me a while back in a different thread :)

I'd stay with the FCR. Locating a great condition used one for ,cheap should not be to hard. A late mode FCR 37mm with ACV from any X made after 2006. I've seen them for $100 to $200. Then send it to a reputable shop like James Dean for a rebuild/cleaning (including a body gasket) for another $100 and you will be as good as new and no questionable quality with a knock off.

I like the Lectron , for a 2S. Even then, service parts are only mail order, no dealer stocks stuff. The AP design is kind of wonky too.

• Like 1

IMO the FCR is the best carb you will find for the X, it is near EFI.  Mine was not working properly when I bought the bike but with help on this forum it has become the best carb I've had on any bike.  
JetsRUs sell all of the parts except for the interbody gaskets which are sold by JD Jetting. The Jetting forum has a lot of info, and videos,  on setting up the carb. There are links in this forum. 
JD has jetting kits to improve performance. R&D has a very useful remote mixture screw.