I'm just rebuilding my 2008 Honda 250x and I have an after market head light kit on that I dont like because it doesn't get bright enough.  What's everyone using on their bikes? I was thinking of going to the stock mask with led bulbs. 

20210112_124504.jpg

I have a Baja Designs LED setup on my X.  It's bright enough to actually see it hitting the trees in the woods during daylight riding, but haven't had to use it at night.  I purchase the alternate lenses so the top 2 lenses are distance projectors and bottom 2 lenses are widebeam.

20200507_185518_HDR.jpg

Pete Wheelie.jpg

I got the Baja designs headlight setup as well... its MUCH better than the stock headlight but first time I had it I did some night riding on a single track and it was downright scary (it was raining too).  I then got a couple of Baja Designs S1 lights and fabricated mounts on the handlebars.  They work GREAT!, but I had to send the stator to Baja Designs for an upgrade.  See pics of with just the single Baja LED and the the second with the S1's.  All in all, it works great, I've been on several night rides and its like daylight.  The pics don't do the dual s1's justice.. they are BRIGHT.

That being said, this wasn't cheap.  If had to do it over again, I might've gone the route of a helmet light.  But at least this way I don't have to mess with batteries and wires.

See pics below:

-Shannon

Single Headlight:1024527685_BajaSingleHeadlight.jpg.55b59db6fdf1543607734c7401203365.jpg

Baja LED light and dual S1 lights:673025793_BajaS1Lights.jpg.5f6cb973a265b825caa80ccd06f558d3.jpg

S1 Mounts:545280592_BajaS1LightsSetup.thumb.jpg.ac9b2b3a7845fdb50fe0e7ab0a483bf3.jpg

IMO if you are riding single track at night you should ALSO use a good helmet light which would point in the direction you're looking and give you a better range of lighting.

• Like 1

Lots of options but first understand light output:

Incandescent bulbs produce 16-20 lumens per watt, 35watts = 560-700 lumens
Halogen bulbs produce about 28 lumens/watt, 35watts = 980 lumens; 140-175% brighter than incandescent
HID about 80 lumens/watt, 35watts = 2800 lumens; 400-500% brighter than incandescent
LED 100 lumens/watt (some 130/w). 35watts = 3500 lumens; 500-625% brighter than incandescent (some 650-800%)

I put a Halogen hi/lo bulb in my stock X head light and added a handlebar switch, and that helped a lot.

I put a 6 LED light bar on my XR that draws 23 watts (about 2300 lumens) and it lights up the trail in daylight.

2104803319_HeadlightLEDLightBar.thumb.jpg.75b69e9d51750b43cb1f4b92872ab57a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all this feedback and love the pictures.  I haven't really ridden in some time, so getting back on the new bike and getting some hours in, is priority. I dont plan to ride alot a night, but stuff breaks and things happens and I live in the thicker forests of British Columbia and nice lights are key.  There was an aftermarket "mask" that was on the bike but I was thinking of trying to find an original mask and possibly installing the cyclops headlight.  I really like the baja designs and definitely the extra s1's on the side are nice. But the cyclops doesn't need the stator to be rewound.  Also a good head lamp might be an option for the emergency late nighters.  I still have some time to think until all this snow melts away. 

1 hour ago, Jokster said:

Thanks for all this feedback and love the pictures.  I haven't really ridden in some time, so getting back on the new bike and getting some hours in, is priority. I dont plan to ride alot a night, but stuff breaks and things happens and I live in the thicker forests of British Columbia and nice lights are key.  There was an aftermarket "mask" that was on the bike but I was thinking of trying to find an original mask and possibly installing the cyclops headlight.  I really like the baja designs and definitely the extra s1's on the side are nice. But the cyclops doesn't need the stator to be rewound.  Also a good head lamp might be an option for the emergency late nighters.  I still have some time to think until all this snow melts away. 

The baja designs one I have does not require rewinding of the stator and they also provided to me the proper connectors and pins so I could connect directly to my original light wiring without having to cut or splice any OEM wires.  Nice in case I want to revert it back to stock and some point.  Since I'm running the front forks, triple clamps, and fender from a 250R, I no longer have the light plate mounts on the lower tree which is one of the reasons I went with the full headlight assembly instead of just fitting the light into the OEM plate.