Best spots in AZ for Winter Riding

Hey guys,

I'm heading out for a months long winter riding trip to AZ soon, and I'm looking for some local input on the best places to ride. I am a b-level woods rider, and prefer singletrack but I'd like to get a good variety of riding in on this trip. So far my list includes:

Boulders

Wildcat

Hayfield Draw

Four Peaks

Red Springs single track

Redington pass

Arizona Cycle Park 

Hot Wells Dunes

Are there any areas I'm missing for good winter riding?

Boulders: Great 2 track and single track. Its good to know someone who knows this place.

Wildcat: Great single track that is pretty easy to find. Decent amount of SxS to watch out for. Stay on single track and you will be good

Hayfield Draw: Meh... if you are up in that part of town then go 

Four Peaks: SxS city with morons shooting guns. I know some places up there are good but I havent been 

Red Springs single track: Never been

Redington pass: Never been

Arizona Cycle Park: Best MX track in AZ. Great vet track if you want to take it easy or pro track is great to hit big jumps 

Hot Wells Dunes: Looks like a cool place, havent been. 

Check out: 

White tanks or 219 ave. Open dez with some single track

Canyon MX is a 2nd place to ACP but a far second

Lake pleasant has some riding but I think its SxS city

Rio Verde ( technically part of wildcat)  

Alto pits in prescott isnt bad. 

• Like 2

Wow thanks for all the great info guys! 

A friend also recommended riding in Tonto NF, I think out of the sycamore creek trailhead. But google has it listed as closed at the moment, that true?

9 hours ago, writebrian said:

Do Lake Pleasant to Crown King. Some of the best, prettiest and most challenging riding AZ has to offer. 

Is that this 4wd route? or is there an adjacent singletrack?

https://azoffroad.net/backway-to-crown-king

Looks pretty cool but I will be on a yz250x with a stock tank and a couple of fuel bottles so range could be an issue. 

There are surrounding trails, but the main 4x4 road is still fun and challenging. It’s not a wide clear fire road by any stretch. You will get a workout and test your skills with plenty of hazards.  Even though jeeps can do it, realize that have to do it at like 4 miles an hour whereas you can do it at 30mph. 

Take the route described in your link  and don’t venture off trail To do single track unless you are with someone who knows the area. It’s big and you can get lost. 

As for fuel, I have a stock 1.8 gallon tank on my YZ450f and have never come close to running out of gas. It’s only about 28 miles and there is gas, burgers and beer at the top. My friends son did it on his CRF80.

Edited by writebrian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, writebrian said:

There are surrounding trails, but the main 4x4 road is still fun and challenging. It’s not a wide clear fire road by any stretch. You will get a workout and test your skills with plenty of hazards.  Even though jeeps can do it, realize that have to do it at like 4 miles an hour whereas you can do it at 30mph. 

Take the route described in your link  and don’t venture off trail To do single track unless you are with someone who knows the area. It’s big and you can get lost. 

As for fuel, I have a stock 1.8 gallon tank on my YZ450f and have never come close to running out of gas. It’s only about 28 miles and there is gas, burgers and beer at the top. My friends son did it on his CRF80.

Cool. I watched a couple videos. Looks like there are some nice rock gardens and ledges on the road. Definitely adding it to my list. Glad to hear there is gas at the end. I burn through gas pretty fast on the two smoker so I'll bring some premix to fill it up before I head back. 

• Like 1

Sorry I didn’t realize you were on a 2 stroke. Adjust accordingly as I don’t know their consumption. Also realize it can snow up high. So make sure you check that first. Although we haven’t gotten much rain this year (it is raining now though). 

Post up a date here when you’re ready and see if anyone wants to caravan. It’s more fun (and safer) with a group for sure. 

2 hours ago, writebrian said:

Sorry I didn’t realize you were on a 2 stroke. Adjust accordingly as I don’t know their consumption. Also realize it can snow up high. So make sure you check that first. Although we haven’t gotten much rain this year (it is raining now though). 

Post up a date here when you’re ready and see if anyone wants to caravan. It’s more fun (and safer) with a group for sure. 

I will definitely post in here when I'm in the area. It would be great to ride with some people who know the trails. It's sort of a meandering road trip but it looking like I'll be in AZ the second or third week of February. 

4 minutes ago, rratsbor said:

If that is your timing then be sure to check on conditions in Crown King. There will be +12" of snow by tomorrow morning and another storm expected later this week.

Will do. I know things can get pretty dicey at the higher elevations out there. I ride through the winter in new england so a little snow doesn't bother me, but this trip is to get away from the cold haha.