Nathan Kruse

Racing a dual sport what tires

Hey guys whats up I amwondering if you guys know of any cheaper dirt tires(90 offroad 10 on road) but still dot approved 

There are many DOT rated knobby tires, depends on the on/off-road compromises you are willing to make,

just to name a few:

Metzeler MC360 mid-soft and mid-hard

Kenda Washougal II (front only)

Michelin AC10

Michelin Tracker

many MotoZ are as well

but if cheap is the main criteria, the Kenda Trakmaster K760 as suggested by 00boob remains the usual go-to choice.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

i'm not a big dunlop fan. but the ktm I bought had dunlop d606's on it. so far I'm pretty impressed

I just noticed that they're over $100. pretty pricey

Edited by randysoo

13 hours ago, Nathan Kruse said:

Hey guys whats up I amwondering if you guys know of any cheaper dirt tires(90 offroad 10 on road) but still dot approved 

If you're going that aggressive, who cares about DOT ratings?  Most cops wouldn't give the tires a second look either way.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, randysoo said:

dunlop d606's on it. so far I'm pretty impressed

After running a few TrakMasters on the rear of my bike, I decided to try the 606 (still have it on). Off-road, the Kenda is a far better tire. On pavement, the 606 is slightly better. However, I've had a few scary moments with the 606 before the tire warms up... it's very slick when cold

9 hours ago, smirmeister said:

Trackmaster II rear is great but I felt the front was just ok.

Yup, the rear is great, but I thought the front kind of sucked. It visually looks like a great tire, but I found its performance off-road was iffy

5 hours ago, Dmouse said:

Yup, the rear is great, but I thought the front kind of sucked. It visually looks like a great tire, but I found its performance off-road was iffy

Next tire change I'm going to pair the rear with a washougal II, I've done some reading on it and looks pretty good.

While many rave about the Washougal II front tire, I've not had good experiences with it.

Compared to a Michelin SC5 Medium or even the nearly 6 year old Michelin SC3 MH3 it replaced,

experimenting from 7 to 15 psi and everything in between, for my mixed terrain / rocky trail usage felt it was too unpredictable and deflected off everything.

One single trail ride was enough to convince me to it wasn't going to work out so off the rim it went.

Took a lot of back and forth emails but managed to convince Kenda it was defective and got a new rear tire as a replacement.

My CRF250X also had a practically new set of Washougal II's on it when purchased 4 years before,

I initially thought the ill-mannered handling was simply from my inexperience in trail riding

but now realize that the front tire was perhaps the real culprit.

Edited by mlatour

1 hour ago, smirmeister said:

Next tire change I'm going to pair the rear with a washougal II, I've done some reading on it and looks pretty good.

Tire preference is a touchy subject, but after trying quite a few front tires, my go-to front is a Pirelli MT16, on my 2nd one now and plan on a 3rd when the time comes

I have a set of MT16s on a perimeter framed KDX200, they worked good but the front felt strange to me. Could've just been the suspension setup and tire pressure though, I haven't put many hours on them. Down the road I will get my hands on a Bridgestone M59.

• Like 1

I was disappointed in the Kenda Trakmaster.  Kenda seems to use the same soft rubber compound for all of their tires.  In a tire like the K270 with a dense knob pattern it works great.  The Trakmaster has a fairly aggressive pattern with lots of space between the knobs.  With the soft rubber compound they get torn up quickly.  I would have gotten more life out of a Dunlop MX tire.

I have about 30k miles of dual sport riding on the K270, its a long wearing tire with good characteristics on and off road.  Like any dual sport tire it is very slick in mud.  Other than that though, it does pretty well in sand and very well in intermediate to hard soil.