Furyflier

Suspension upgrade questions

I am looking into upgrading the suspension on my 19 450l.  I weigh 220 before gear so I am exploring a couple options.  It seems like some guys will leave the front alone and just add a stiffer rear spring.  I'm considering that vs sending the forks and shock out for a full re-spring / re-valve.  Seems like alot of love for AHM doing this.  Only problem is I'm in Pennsylvania so it's gonna be expensive for me to ship everything to them.  I have a few suspension shops withing driving distance which seem to be reputable (pr2 racing being one).  I doubt the local shops have much experience with the 450l like AHM does though.  I ride mostly double/ single track woods with a little dual sport/road mixed in.  Anyone have any advice or suggestions?  Worth shipping to AHM or trust someone local to do it?  Or will stiffening up the rear spring be enough.  I don't feel like the suspension is too bad as is but I feel there is room for improvement.  Thanks.

My recommendation is to swap out the springs first, and ride. the stock valving is fine for a 170lb high speed desert, or moderate MX’er. woods needs a plusher more compliant, low deflection response where your weight and new spring rate may give you what you need. I found the whole stroke to be stiff, deflection was ridiculous, and never got through half the stroke on the forks. I’m 145lbs, even with day bags and extra gear the weight is reward and of no help to the forks. SRS suspension, Ohio hooked me up. Eric says the stacks are almost identical to the R model,  nothing woods oriented about it. 

Edited by On2Whls

I also weigh ~220 before gear. I left the front springs alone but installed a 6.0 kg/mm spring to the rear. It probably would be better to upgrade the front springs as well, but so far just doing the rear has worked out well for me. Sag set within spec and no more bottoming out on the high speed hits. I ride mostly woods and old logging roads.

21 hours ago, Boonus said:

I also weigh ~220 before gear. I left the front springs alone but installed a 6.0 kg/mm spring to the rear. It probably would be better to upgrade the front springs as well, but so far just doing the rear has worked out well for me. Sag set within spec and no more bottoming out on the high speed hits. I ride mostly woods and old logging roads.

Did you replace the spring yourself and if so how did you do it. I’ve seen videos claiming you don’t have to fully remove the shock to replace the spring when done from the bottom-linkage end.

11 hours ago, MrDion said:

Did you replace the spring yourself and if so how did you do it. I’ve seen videos claiming you don’t have to fully remove the shock to replace the spring when done from the bottom-linkage end.

Yes I did it myself. I tried changing it with the shock on the bike first, but for some reason the Factory Connection spring I ordered was slightly longer than the stock spring. I wasn't able to compress it enough with the shock on the bike to get the retaining clip back in place. After fighting with it for about half an hour I finally gave up and removed the entire shock. I then used some ratchet straps to compress the spring and install it on the shock. It looks like the Race Tech spring are an exact match in terms of length, so if you went with one of those you could probably change it with the shock on the bike.

The next day I ordered a Tusk shock spring compressing tool for future servicing. It was pretty inexpensive, here is a link:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-shock-spring-compressor-p

Edited by Boonus
Spelling

I'd recommend that you just replace the rear spring to begin with. The rear shock is strong enough to control a heavier spring. I went through Cannon Racecraft, for the spring. 

If you want to revalve the shock or forks after that, you have not lost anything. It's critical to have the proper sag to begin with. When I put a heavier spring on, the rear suspension actually felt softer! I have also reduced compression damping up front a few clicks. Am very happy with my suspension now. 

P_20200406_225837.jpg

P_20200408_183636.jpg

P_20200408_184832.jpg

P_20200408_184902.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions.  Glad to hear of good results by just replacing the rear shock spring.   I bought a k-tech 60N spring for the rear.  Going to try the install without removing the rear shock as others have mentioned.  Gonna leave the forks alone for now.  

7 hours ago, Boonus said:

Yes I did it myself. I tried changing it with the shock on the bike first, but for some reason the Factory Connection spring I ordered was slightly longer than the stock spring. I wasn't able to compress it enough with the shock off the bike to get the retaining clip back in place. After fighting with it for about half an hour I finally gave up and removed the entire shock. I then used some ratchet straps to compress the spring and install it on the shock. It looks like the Race Tech spring are an exact match in terms of length, so if you went with one of those you could probably change it with the shock on the bike.

The next day I ordered a Tusk shock spring compressing tool for future servicing. It was pretty inexpensive, here is a link:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-shock-spring-compressor-p

Thanks. Going up in spring rate front and rear.