Tracks near Northern Colorado

Hey guys, been a while since posting here, but I figured I would give this a shot. I moved to Fort Collins, CO last year for school and I have been missing riding very much. Went home when corona hit and rode some, but ended up selling both bikes so I could buy something out here. My question is, where can I ride? 

When I look up tracks near Fort Collins, it seems like a lot of them are closed, or haven't updated their facebook/website in a couple years. From what I can tell, there is Two Rivers in Milliken, Thunder Valley, and IMI farther south. It looks like there may have been tracks up in Wyoming but not sure if they still exist. I am hoping some locals can tell me what is still open, and where. Also would not mind riding some trails/woods if there is any in the area. I just can't seem to find recent results for what is in the area. I don't mind driving, but would prefer to have places to ride within an hour or so, and then I can venture out farther every once in a while. 

I thought I'd be able to get over not riding while in college but I realized that life really isn't the same without it lol, so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

As far as non-track goes, your options close to Fort Collins, especially in the winter, are very limited. You can ride in the open OHV area in Pawnee Grasslands.  There are some areas that are usually OK in winter closer to Pueblo.  The western slope and eastern UT can be done during the school year as well, but that's 5+ hrs away.  Just about everything else is going to be high country riding starting in June at the earliest and that will be 2/12 hours away minimum now thanks to the fires.

Milliken and IMI are both in your neck of the woods. I have not been to Milliken in a long time, but IMI is well kept. Thunder Valley would be a decent drive to get to from Ft. Collins. Milliken is closest. IMI next. 

VDR which you may remember from years ago, is gone. 

Watkins/Jewell east of DIA, and way south you have Aztec and RAM offroad park. woods track at PPIR is also active in Fountain, CO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dhdrider said:

As far as non-track goes, your options close to Fort Collins, especially in the winter, are very limited. You can ride in the open OHV area in Pawnee Grasslands.  There are some areas that are usually OK in winter closer to Pueblo.  The western slope and eastern UT can be done during the school year as well, but that's 5+ hrs away.  Just about everything else is going to be high country riding starting in June at the earliest and that will be 2/12 hours away minimum now thanks to the fires.

Dang I figured there would be more trails in the area than that. Not worried about winter, I’m still outfitting my car to haul a bike and then I actually need to buy a bike itself haha. So I have plenty of time for it to warm up. Appreciate the info!

52 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

Milliken and IMI are both in your neck of the woods. I have not been to Milliken in a long time, but IMI is well kept. Thunder Valley would be a decent drive to get to from Ft. Collins. Milliken is closest. IMI next. 

VDR which you may remember from years ago, is gone. 

Watkins/Jewell east of DIA, and way south you have Aztec and RAM offroad park. woods track at PPIR is also active in Fountain, CO. 

Cool, I might alternate between Milliken and IMI to start. I’ve driven down to Lakewood many times, not a bad drive, but I think Thunder Valley is probably out of my league considering it’s a national track. I will have to check out those other places when I get the chance... thank you!

52 minutes ago, Sashakoul said:

Dang I figured there would be more trails in the area than that. Not worried about winter, I’m still outfitting my car to haul a bike and then I actually need to buy a bike itself haha. So I have plenty of time for it to warm up. Appreciate the info!

Cool, I might alternate between Milliken and IMI to start. I’ve driven down to Lakewood many times, not a bad drive, but I think Thunder Valley is probably out of my league considering it’s a national track. I will have to check out those other places when I get the chance... thank you!

IMI has their big track, a vet track that is not groomed and hard pack, turn track in the back and if you want real easy get there early and ride the UTV track in at the far end. 

• Like 1

the track in Cheyenne is ok when prepped, but like pre-cast concrete when it's not. Wind is terrible most of the time.... Watkins and IMI are you best bets and relatively close. Milliken is fun but limited hours with their scheduling, usually Wed/Sun.

Edited by DEMI

1 hour ago, DEMI said:

the track in Cheyenne is ok when prepped, but like pre-cast concrete when it's not. Wind is terrible most of the time.... Watkins and IMI are you best bets and relatively close. Milliken is fun but limited hours with their scheduling, usually Wed/Sun.

I looked at the one in Cheyenne but their website doesn’t exist and they haven’t posted on Facebook since 2017, are they still open?

9 minutes ago, Sashakoul said:

I looked at the one in Cheyenne but their website doesn’t exist and they haven’t posted on Facebook since 2017, are they still open?

they were this year I believe, not sure what the deal is with the website though. FB has always been a joke, you could always try calling the number given. They were on a couple schedules this past year.

On 1/15/2021 at 7:59 AM, DEMI said:

LOL, you're talking Cheyenne, WY.  The wind blows all the time.

7 hours ago, Sashakoul said:

I work pretty close to the Wyoming border at a horse barn and the wind is pretty bad even that far north lol

It is pretty bad from North of Fort Collins all the way up to Wyo Hill. Can be brutal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 12:01 PM, Sashakoul said:

Hey guys, been a while since posting here, but I figured I would give this a shot. I moved to Fort Collins, CO last year for school and I have been missing riding very much. Went home when corona hit and rode some, but ended up selling both bikes so I could buy something out here. My question is, where can I ride? 

When I look up tracks near Fort Collins, it seems like a lot of them are closed, or haven't updated their facebook/website in a couple years. From what I can tell, there is Two Rivers in Milliken, Thunder Valley, and IMI farther south. It looks like there may have been tracks up in Wyoming but not sure if they still exist. I am hoping some locals can tell me what is still open, and where. Also would not mind riding some trails/woods if there is any in the area. I just can't seem to find recent results for what is in the area. I don't mind driving, but would prefer to have places to ride within an hour or so, and then I can venture out farther every once in a while. 

I thought I'd be able to get over not riding while in college but I realized that life really isn't the same without it lol, so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Tracks, IMI is your best bet.  Trails,  Late May/early June.  There are 100's of miles of ST trails in Northern Colorado. Trail heads are 30 minutes to 4 hours from you and in between.

Edited by Brendon Kelly
Typo