Im rebuilding a pitbike I don’t know if it’s Lifan with genuine thump star pieces but same engines pretty much I cannot figure out why my timing chain has gotten about 5mm shorter I’ve turned the cam to try release any kinks but still even when I pull it fully tight on the tensioner it still doesn’t reach, any ideas?

20 minutes ago, Bill Harman said:

Im rebuilding a pitbike I don’t know if it’s Lifan with genuine thump star pieces but same engines pretty much I cannot figure out why my timing chain has gotten about 5mm shorter I’ve turned the cam to try release any kinks but still even when I pull it fully tight on the tensioner it still doesn’t reach, any ideas?

Not real familiar with that engine, but every fourstroke I've had you must remove the tensioner before refitting the camchain. Then you reset and refit the tensioner.

2 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Not real familiar with that engine, but every fourstroke I've had you must remove the tensioner before refitting the camchain. Then you reset and refit the tensioner.

Thanks man do you usually have to open the bottom end to access the tensioner?

Like I said, I'm not real familiar with that engine, but it's based on the honda from what I can tell. If it is the same, the nut this guy has hold of should be it. If you undo it a shaft and spring etc should come out and release the tensioner. I'm not sure what keeps tension on it though, hopefully you can see and figure it out. Make sure it can compress when you re-fit it so it doesn't over tension anything. Do you know how to time it properly? You really need a manual, can you get one for that bike?

mqdefault.jpg

this is inside, the tensioner is that top arm with the wheel on the end;

imageuploadedbyhondagrom-net1391876940-2

6 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Like I said, I'm not real familiar with that engine, but it's based on the honda from what I can tell. If it is the same, the nut this guy has hold of should be it. If you undo it a shaft and spring etc should come out and release the tensioner. I'm not sure what keeps tension on it though, hopefully you can see and figure it out. Make sure it can compress when you re-fit it so it doesn't over tension anything. Do you know how to time it properly? You really need a manual, can you get one for that bike?

mqdefault.jpg

this is inside, the tensioner is that top arm with the wheel on the end;

imageuploadedbyhondagrom-net1391876940-2

Usually there is a tensioner in the side of the cylinder jug. Do you have one of those on the cylinder jug?

Edited by Randy K