Has anybody used the Fox Racing Raptor Vest Roost Deflector for under the jersey? Should I just get the Alpinestars Bionic Roost Deflector its CE level 1 for shoulders, front, and back and the fox chest protector is CE level 2 for front and back but not the shoulders. I want an under the jersey chest protector that has the most protection but isn't to bulky.

You mentioned two things that don’t go together. Best level of protection but no bulk 🙂 . 

check out this -> thread....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nigel18 said:

You mentioned two things that don’t go together. Best level of protection but no bulk 🙂 . 

check out this -> thread....

Read the thread, thanks for posting it.  Assuming you got some riding in over the last few months... are you happy with your Leatt choice?

I rode at least once a week 🙂 it was an awesome season despite my set back. As for Leatt chest protector I have not looked back. It is heavier and hotter than most but for me it was about front back and “RIB” protection which is very much neglected on most gear I looked at. I also wanted and got a Leatt 5.5 neck brace which all works together flawlessly ! 
min the hot months I either wore a base layer and no shirt or a shirt with tons of vent holes. 

• Like 1

Under jersey protection will be HOT.  The best chest protector I've worn is the Zackspeed.  SOOOOO much better than under jersey armour.  100x cooler.

2 hours ago, PaulDWR250 said:

Im happy with the Fox Titan. Kind of warm in summer tho

I had one for years.  In hindsight, its crap for woods riding.  There are much better solutions to body armour.  

• Like 1

yep. I ride in hot AZ and I wore a fox titan under my jersey. excellent rib protection...but a bit stiff and bulky feeling at first.

I just switched to a Leatt 5.5 and I wear it and my elbow pads under the jersey. The jersey helps keep things in place. The Leatt feels slimmer and its easier to pull a snug jersey over it.

IMG_9766.JPG

I have the Fox Raptor and like it.  It is like a suit of armor.   I have to put it on the outside of my jersey now due to my neck brace.  This works well with leatt neck braces also.  I did run under my jersey for about half a season and it was fine.  Wish I could still run it under jersey as it gets full of mud and dirt now.

• Like 1

Fox Airframe Pro and Leatt 5.5 were the only two when I was shopping that had decent rib coverage and the Leatt was CE2 front and back and a touch lighter and its sections adjust and move to contour making a snug fit it and it is fabric lined. The fox is like a sticky rubber and very stiff plastic. See specs below. 

another option to look at is the Leatt Fusion if you plan to get a neck brace this is a good all in one option that will cost less in the long run but offer good coverage and has an integrated neck brace  

Fox Airframe Pro

Back - CE 1621-2 / level 2

Chest - CE 1621-3 level 1

Shoulder - CE 1621-1 level 1

4lb

Leatt 5.5 Chest Protector 

Back EN1621-2 Level 2

Chest prEN1621-3 Level 2

Shoulder EN1621-1

3.75lb

• Like 1

Question for those wearing lots of body armor. Why are you wearing so much? Do you crash a lot? I'm just curious because wearing these big chest protectors and elbow guards etc. would drive me crazy in the woods. 

4 minutes ago, brysonrs said:

Question for those wearing lots of body armor. Why are you wearing so much? Do you crash a lot? I'm just curious because wearing these big chest protectors and elbow guards etc. would drive me crazy in the woods. 

Nope, don't crash my bike or truck a lot, but I wear gear for the same reason I wear a seat belt. Just in case. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, X-Wrestler said:

Nope, don't crash my bike or truck a lot, but I wear gear for the same reason I wear a seat belt. Just in case. 

Do you wear a helmet in your truck just in case or does that seem excessive? To me there is a point between helpful and overboard/annoying. I wear knee braces and helmet because they are helpful, but elbow pads aren't going to do enough for how annoying they are. Thanks for the info on the thought process behind the decision.

If I were doing the same types of things in my truck that I'm doing on my bike, I'm absolutely wearing a helmet. 

When I was a kid sunglasses were my safety gear. Now that I've figured out I'm actually mortal, I'm doing all I can to minimize risk without giving up the things I love to do. 

I agree that riding all marshmellow'd up takes some getting used to, but I have to think re-learning to ride after shattering your elbow on a slow speed fall is worse. 

A kid on my team in high school had his elbow broken at a tournament and never fully recovered. It ended his wrestling career. Not that elbow pads would have done him any good, but of all the gear, elbow pads are the least cumbersome.

9 hours ago, brysonrs said:

I chipped a elbow bone, possible the not-so-freakin-funny bone, when i was young. For at least a decade even the gentle pressure of putting on a jersey would send jolts of fire down my fingers. Wear elbow guards, even if the are softy MTB guards. Never did get that checked, still follow the "if bone aint showing, it'll heal" mantra hahah

While I do believe there is a balance between protection, heat, and mobility I've always found a combo that works even in southwest heat.  A-10 over a mohave jersey isn't creating any overheating, and I'm too old to be breaking ribs and cracking vertebra that can be easily protected. I do sometimes wonder about people wearing those jacket style ones though, the look nasty, hot, and scratchy, but I think that's more the amateur/dual sport crowd.

Edited by DEL107

I've had a few hard get offs and seem to hurt my ribs...pretty badly, I'd say three times in 10 years until I started wearing better rib protection the last few years.

Elbow and knee pads are a must for the rocky off-road riding here, even with slow falls. I still wear them on tracks because it makes some falls 'non-events'.

The key is good fitting gear and jerseys.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:44 PM, CDNSXV said:

Under jersey protection will be HOT.  The best chest protector I've worn is the Zackspeed.  SOOOOO much better than under jersey armour.  100x cooler.

I had one for years.  In hindsight, its crap for woods riding.  There are much better solutions to body armour.  

I have been looking for something like this. I really like the idea of using my pack as my back protector.
What is holding back is the zackspeed does not have rib or shoulder protection.  did you look at others similar?    

right now I have an alpinestars sequence jacket.  actually works great but on the hot days and very slow technical trails I overheat for sure.  having the extra layer on my back adds a lot of heat.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, brysonrs said:

Yes. I'm an adult rider who loves hard enduro, and I suck at it. Maybe it's just the idea of pretending I can do it that I love but I regularly flip off rocks, slide down cliffs, eat it in soupy turns and get knocked over by branches.  Padded head to toe and I've seen my skills improve without fear while also never having an injury that has set me back at work.

IMO if you are afraid of crashing you don't improve very quickly. If you break something, you also won't improve. Pads can solve both of those issues.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 1/20/2021 at 9:47 AM, brysonrs said:

elbow pads aren't going to do enough for how annoying they are.

When I moved to the Zackspeed I added below pads but they quickly became annoying so I don't wear them anymore.  I've gotten poked in the should a couple of times by trees but honestly those are pretty minor compared to how nice it is not having bulky, annoying blow pads.

5 hours ago, JARU said:

IMO if you are afraid of crashing you don't improve very quickly. If you break something, you also won't improve. Pads can solve both of those issues.

When you start out and for a few years, full body armour is worthwhile because you are gonna crash a bunch.  However as your skills and experience improve you crash less or have less serious crashes and so can get any with less padding.