XR200 94 xr200r shifting concerns

Alright, so I bought my first dirtbike a honda xr200r. And I've noticed some problems with the shifting. It runs through the gears fine but finding neutral sometimes is pretty difficult. You have to roll the bike back to get it sometimes. And now it's doing this weird thing where if you put it in neutral. Itll jump into gear. Not all the time but its done it twice. Its got fresh oil and the previous owner put a new clutch in it. Any help is appreciated.

Chances are  the gearshift plate(#10)  24621-446-650 and the gearshift cam (#6) 24411-446-650 are worn and causing the problem. Look under shift drum in the parts list. Alot of times they are hard to shift into first also. You are looking at about $40 for both parts. Both parts are behind the clutch basket and fairly easy to replace. If it keeps jumping gears after replacing these parts then it may be a bent shift fork and will require splitting the cases. Try the easy fix first, very common problem on the 200's

Ok thanks. So I don't have to take the tranny or split anything to replace those 2 parts? And is it easier to just replace whole shift drum instead of just the cam? I really wanted to avoid sitting my engine open or removing the clutch becuase I dont know that much about them.

You will have to split cases to replace the shift drum. The cam bolts on the drum from the outside.  It can be done without removing clutch basket, a lot tighter but Ive done it in a hurry. Make sure you replace both parts. No splitting for those 2 parts.If you do remove the clutch make sure you have the correct tool to remove the special nut holding it and the oil slinger on. Motion pro make one for about $12. Get a service manual , there are some tricks to putting the clutch cover back on

Edited by ArkEnduroRider