Drz flywheel gear play

Hey, if you guys could take a moment to check my profile with the other threads I have made without much luck of help, my bike randomly started making a ticking sound that was quite unusual and rhythm to it. I have deleted my auto decomp, didn’t help. I made sure all valves in spec, didn’t help. Pulled stator cover with no bolts that came loose as I did the loctite fix and found the flywheel gear to have play and when I spin it I can see how it would make the sound I was hearing with the amount of centrifugal force with the engine running to make this rhythmatic ticking. Sounded like it was coming from my stator case and I need some advice if this is normal or what’s going on. 
4400km fresh hot rods full engine rebuild everything is new except the head. 

2 minutes ago, OverSquareEng said:

You mention the stator bolts. But did you verify the flywheel/starter clutch bolts are all tight too?

Yes they are all tight

3 minutes ago, AdamGlockl said:

Yes they are all tight

My guess would be a bad starter clutch then. I would pull the flywheel and starter clutch to inspect.

Just now, OverSquareEng said:

My guess would be a bad starter clutch then. I would pull the flywheel and starter clutch to inspect.

I don’t have a flywheel puller and I am kind of intimidated in trying to retorque the flywheel nut.

28 minutes ago, AdamGlockl said:

Hey, if you guys could take a moment to check my profile with the other threads I have made without much luck of help, my bike randomly started making a ticking sound that was quite unusual and rhythm to it. I have deleted my auto decomp, didn’t help. I made sure all valves in spec, didn’t help. Pulled stator cover with no bolts that came loose as I did the loctite fix and found the flywheel gear to have play and when I spin it I can see how it would make the sound I was hearing with the amount of centrifugal force with the engine running to make this rhythmatic ticking. Sounded like it was coming from my stator case and I need some advice if this is normal or what’s going on. 
4400km fresh hot rods full engine rebuild everything is new except the head. 

There should be some in and out play with the gear but it should not be overly loose or rock. It's kind of hard to tell exactly what it's doing there, but it looks really sloppy in the video.  Do you have a flywheel puller so you can remove the sprag bearing and investigate further?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

There should be some in and out play with the gear but it should not be overly loose or rock. It's kind of hard to tell exactly what it's doing there, but it looks really sloppy in the video.  Do you have a flywheel puller so you can remove the sprag bearing and investigate further?

I don’t. Looks like I should buy one.

1 minute ago, AdamGlockl said:

I don’t have a flywheel puller and I am kind of intimidated in trying to retorque the flywheel nut.

They're about $40. Unfortunately pulling to inspect is really your only option here.

As for retorquing, you will need an offset 26mm box end wrench to hold the flywheel.

• Like 1

Just now, AdamGlockl said:

I don’t. Looks like I should buy one.

It's around $200 for that bearing. Somewhere at home, I have an old 1 way bearing. I'll play around with it and see how much it rocks. Like I said, I know there is enough clearance for it to float back and forth axially between the flywheel and case. I don't recall it being loose enough to rock or tilt out of plan with the idler gear. However, didn't fool around with it that much.

To confirm, is the gear only moving in and out or is it rocking as well?

9 minutes ago, OverSquareEng said:

They're about $40. Unfortunately pulling to inspect is really your only option here.

As for retorquing, you will need an offset 26mm box end wrench to hold the flywheel.

I am having trouble finding these two items. Could you help me find a Canadian link with a 26mm box end wrench and a flywheel puller?

18 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

It's around $200 for that bearing. Somewhere at home, I have an old 1 way bearing. I'll play around with it and see how much it rocks. Like I said, I know there is enough clearance for it to float back and forth axially between the flywheel and case. I don't recall it being loose enough to rock or tilt out of plan with the idler gear. However, didn't fool around with it that much.

To confirm, is the gear only moving in and out or is it rocking as well?

I have tried to upload a video to YouTube probably 5 times just for you. Thank you for all the help you’ve given me in almost every single question I’ve made. The gear does not rock back and forth (play) but obviously spins in one direction and the play is just in and out

2 minutes ago, AdamGlockl said:

I have tried to upload a video to YouTube probably 5 times just for you. Thank you for all the help you’ve given me in almost every single question I’ve made. The gear does not rock back and forth (play) but obviously spins in one direction and the play is just in and out

It probably ok to use than. 

Just now, ohiodrz400sm said:

The 1 way bearing. The gear fits into the 1 way bearing that bolts to the flywheel. 

Screenshot_20210118-152220.png

So what’s causing my ticking motor then??? I swear it’s this now. Way to much play and can almost hear the ticking sound just spinning it fast, and let alone if the motor was running in almost certain this is the ticking

22 minutes ago, AdamGlockl said:

So what’s causing my ticking motor then??? I swear it’s this now. Way to much play and can almost hear the ticking sound just spinning it fast, and let alone if the motor was running in almost certain this is the ticking

It can make sound. Mine was so worn and dented that it made a wooden knocking sound at idle.  

10 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

It can make sound. Mine was so worn and dented that it made a wooden knocking sound at idle.  

But it seemed to come out of no where. Jan 7 I was wheeling perfect sounding bike and Jan 8 start my bike ticking. I feel something else is the culprit?

33 minutes ago, AdamGlockl said:

But it seemed to come out of no where. Jan 7 I was wheeling perfect sounding bike and Jan 8 start my bike ticking. I feel something else is the culprit?

It may be something else. Did you loctite the primary and counter balance gear nuts?

29 minutes ago, AdamGlockl said:

Do I need to replace my flywheel? Opportunity for a trail tech lighter upgrade?

Good luck finding a Trail Tech. I believe they stopped making them a decade ago. If you do find one, snatch it up. It makes a small but noticable difference riding and sounds cooler revving on the stand. 

33 minutes ago, AdamGlockl said:

3 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

It may be something else. Did you loctite the primary and counter balance gear nuts?

Good luck finding a Trail Tech. I believe they stopped making them a decade ago. If you do find one, snatch it up. It makes a small but noticable difference riding and sounds cooler revving on the stand. 

I was not the one that rebuilt my engine. I just asked the mechanic who did, I really need your help brother. What could possibly make the sounds in the videos on my YouTube. Can you try and listen closely and see what it sounds like to you.