Too many hours ? 500 Xc-w

My 2012 has alittle over 200 hrs now, and I’m contemplating on doing the crank and head before it pops, but do I really have too? 

I bought it used and a lot of the hrs are street time. I like to hammer on it pretty good though 

your thoughts ? 

There are not a lot of reports of hard failure here, meaning these things don't tend to grenade very often, or at least people don't talk about it much if they do. Which makes me think your odds are good if you keep running it, assuming it's properly maintained.  

Ok cool, I feel the previous owner did take good care of it, I think I will push it another season and access it after that, thanks guys 

• Like 1

I have over 350 hours on my 2012 450 XCW, I maintain it very well and it still runs like new.  100% dirt.

1 hour ago, DC_Excitement said:

your thoughts ? 

As long as you are not burning a drop of oil, you are good. but if you have to add any , then your motor is less than perfect.

I don’t burn oil, and I’ll check the valves, thanks again, i feel better about running it another season 

Got a 2014 500 xcw with 880 hrs and over 20k miles. Original, no rebuild yet. but I am getting close. May adjust the valves first, lol

• Helpful 1

Baja and DS tour companies have logged well over 1000 hours and 30-40,000 miles on these motors 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, johncr250 said:

Baja and DS tour companies have logged well over 1000 hours and 30-40,000 miles on these motors 

😳

On 1/18/2021 at 2:10 PM, DC_Excitement said:

My 2012 has alittle over 200 hrs now, and I’m contemplating on doing the crank and head before it pops, but do I really have too? 

I bought it used and a lot of the hrs are street time. I like to hammer on it pretty good though 

your thoughts ? 

The pistons will crack from metal fatique(too light weight), but fairly safe up to 500 hours, after that you are on borrowed time.  The valve train is best in the industry.

The piston is the main drawback . to higher longevity, or weakest link, even the rings are much more capable than the piston..  Although there is one ring issue, the oil ring has very tiny oil return ports, these will eventually begin clogging up , especially beyond the 5 or 600 hour range.

• Like 1

I ride a 2012 350 XCF-W...270 hours of fairly hard slogging, sloppy, gnarly technical stuff....very little cruising.

Just did a leak down test..came back at 89%.....not too bad. I would think that you're good for at least one or two more seasons, as long as your symptom free.

Keep a close eye on it...run a good maintenance program...and if it ain't broke, don't fix it....at least that's the way I look at it.