How do I know if my dirtbike is about to blow up

I bought a 2006 yz 450, there is a ton of compression but it’s been ridden hard from the previous owner and it doesn’t run right. I know why it doesn’t run right because the carb was a mess and the spark plug was also messed up. but how do I know if the bike is about to blow up

Edited by Ryan Hitchin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Hitchin said:

but how do I know if the bike is about to blow up

Put the bike up on a stand.   Kneel down next to it and look very closely.   See if it says "Suzuki" on the side.  ?

joking aside...  Without any obvious telltale signs (knocking from the bottom end, metal shavings in the oil, etc) it would take disassembly and detailed analysis.   Failures can happen for many, many reason.  You'd have to look at the crank, conrod, piston, oil pump, timing chain, valves, etc, etc, etc.

Very few people do this.  They base it on knowing the bikes history, number of hours, how it was run, how it was maintained to determine when to preemptively rebuild the engine (top end only or top and bottom end) 

Doc

What do you mean by "spark plug was messed up?"  What color was it? Is the electrode in tact?  

You need to do what others have said - check the oil, coolant, you've already checked for compression (I'm assuming you used a tester? Not just your kickstarter feel)

Make sure your carb is clean and properly jetted, have a clean air filter and a new spark plug

After you get it started, make sure you don't hear any bearing failure noises (there's lots of you tube videos you can reference to hear main bearing failures and what they sound like), no loss of coolant (burning coolant).

After you confirm all that, you should be good to go.

Edited by dhdrider