markit

motocross Yamaha E mountian bike!

21 hours ago, sheath said:

Gary Fisher is commonly referred to as the Father of Mtn Bikes. But usually on these things, people from all over have similar ideas.  So similar things happen all over the world.  Someone always gets the credit, because they hit with a commercial product in the right place at the right time.

Gary Fisher interview

Bought this for 30 bucks with a flat rear tube. Bought it, changed tube and now my wife or short friends ride it when I want to ride with someone who doesnt have a decent mtb.

Nothing amazing but still a light weight bike. Under 30lbs

20200729_172838.jpg

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 3

It's funny, I have a middle of the road MTB, big picture. It's expensive to me but not compared to some of the guys from work that I ride with (who have S-Works etc.) But a few of my riding buddies from a different group of friends have older hardtails that they buy cheap and build up etc. And they smoke me. Granted, MTB is something they do more serious than I do, but it's very humbling when guys are just shredding on their old hard tails and I'm doing everything I can to keep up with them on a $4000 bike lol. So that's what keeps me grounded when I start looking at dropping any serious cash on another MTB or even EMTB. I'll probably just run what I have and use most of my play money or the MX and street bikes.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about getting a fat tire bike.  We get snow up hear about 7 months out of the year.  As long as I'm faster than the hibernating bears, that's good enough.

Haven't bought a bike in about 20 years.  Imagine the sticker shock.  Last bike I bought was a Boulder (if I remember right), full suspension. Nice bike. Shimano LX components, so lower-mid level.  I paid less than a grand. Swapped over all the XT stuff, seat, seat post, bars etc., off the previous bike.  Next morning it was "borrowed" and not returned.  So that was the end of that.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, sheath said:

I've been thinking about getting a fat tire bike.  We get snow up hear about 7 months out of the year.  As long as I'm faster than the hibernating bears, that's good enough.

Haven't bought a bike in about 20 years.  Imagine the sticker shock.  Last bike I bought was a Boulder (if I remember right), full suspension. Nice bike. Shimano LX components, so lower-mid level.  I paid less than a grand. Swapped over all the XT stuff, seat, seat post, bars etc., off the previous bike.  Next morning it was "borrowed" and not returned.  So that was the end of that.

Yikes......But ya, I think a fat tire bike is the way to go if your trails are snowy for much of the year.

1 hour ago, ah665 said:

It's funny, I have a middle of the road MTB, big picture. It's expensive to me but not compared to some of the guys from work that I ride with (who have S-Works etc.) But a few of my riding buddies from a different group of friends have older hardtails that they buy cheap and build up etc. And they smoke me. Granted, MTB is something they do more serious than I do, but it's very humbling when guys are just shredding on their old hard tails and I'm doing everything I can to keep up with them on a $4000 bike lol. So that's what keeps me grounded when I start looking at dropping any serious cash on another MTB or even EMTB. I'll probably just run what I have and use most of my play money or the MX and street bikes.

For me I just wanted a bike that wasnt 45lbs(like my sporting goods store bike was). Plus I blew the fork seals out on ride 2. My buddy brought over his trek 4500 5 or so years ago, not an expensive bike by any means and I couldnt believe the weight difference between mine and his. So I bought a bike that retails for 1k used for 400. Once you get past a certain point though it's like motorcross.... the rider matters more than the bike in most cases. He and I have both pulled away from guys on 3k+ bikes on our sub 500 rides.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 3

On 2/10/2021 at 2:33 PM, Zinergy said:

For me I just wanted a bike that wasnt 45lbs(like my sporting goods store bike was). Plus I blew the fork seals out on ride 2. My buddy brought over his trek 4500 5 or so years ago, not an expensive bike by any means and I couldnt believe the weight difference between mine and his. So I bought a bike that retails for 1k used for 400. Once you get past a certain point though it's like motorcross.... the rider matters more than the bike in most cases. He and I have both pulled away from guys on 3k+ bikes on our sub 500 rides.

That's what my Trek was the 4500 Black n gold w red pin strips, I really like3d it so I think I'll do a re over.

• Like 1

Lol my MTB was £300 10 years ago , only ever put tyres and Grips on it ,I only use it about 15 times a year , mostly on roads lol

Edited by mog

7 minutes ago, mog said:

Lol my MTB was £300 10 years ago , only ever put tyres and Grips on it ,I only use it about 15 times a year , mostly on roads lol

That's about what mine was around the same time maybe a little longer around 03.🤕

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, markit said:

That's about what mine was around the same time maybe a little longer around 03.🤕

Mine might be that old ,I can't even remember

49 minutes ago, markit said:

That's what my Trek was the 4500 Black n gold w red pin strips, I really like3d it so I think I'll do a re over.

The trek 4500 is a great frame. Most of the components are dated now but that doesnt stop a decent rider from hitting pretty much everything in the woods around here on one.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:06 AM, indy rider said:

image.png.0bd885fc00408004c11436577e868036.png

I do like how those look. I want to see if people start running them in GNCCs. I know a local shop will be selling/renting them for the eMTB class. So Specialized and Yamaha deslers will be there to help people get into the sport.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

Can you imagine owning one of these now?! I would Love it!!!

I had one back in the 70s, hate to say it but it was a heavy POS. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, markit said:

I had one back in the 70s, hate to say it but it was a heavy POS. LOL

Of course it was. But that's not the point!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

15 hours ago, Zinergy said:

Of course it was. But that's not the point!

Say that after trying to jump all the neighborhood lawn mowers. 💀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:06 AM, indy rider said:

image.png.0bd885fc00408004c11436577e868036.png

I'm in the market for one of these. when I get one I'm going to attempt the 1976 recreation jump ( hopefully not clipping the last lawn mower and waking up ten min later). ☠️😵

Boy did we ever have fun back in the day, I think. 🤪

Edited by markit
  • Like 2