What can I change to get more control over my bike? 2003 yz125

hello, I have been riding this bike since June. Its my first bike and I think I am doing pretty good on it. I hopped on my buddies 2006 ktm 250 exc and first thing I noticed without even riding it was the riding position felt like it put me in way more control. It put me in an 'attack' position much more naturally than on my bike. My initial thoughts are that somehow getting my bars further forward would help that. Compared to his bike, my bike seems harder to really keep weight into my bars. Like my body's COM is further back. 

I am thinking changing the bars would help. What do you think? I'm not sure how much more I can rotate them before they start pointing up into the air too much. I have YZ highs on it right now. My friend has the same on his KTM.

Maybe to add to this since I didn't see a good recent post: What are your favorite bars for your YZ125?

Edited by Frankyo
added last sentence and tags

4 minutes ago, YZDOC said:

Get the suspension sorted for your weight and riding MX, Desert, Mountain trails, then think about controls.

A properly set up bike for the particular rider is key. 

Yeah def see what you're saying. I've had a mechanic of 30+ years helping me dial in my yz. We did weekly rides together for a few months. Everything is pretty well sorted out at this point. 

Also one of his complaints was exactly what I'm describing. We rotated the bars some and then continued working the front suspension. Been a few months since then. 

Edited by Frankyo

2 minutes ago, Frankyo said:

Yeah def see what you're saying. I've had a mechanic of 30+ years helping me dial in my yz. We did weekly rides together for a few months. Everything is pretty well sorted out at this point. 

If the suspenders are in, the different bar bends, etc is next. An aftermarket top clamp that gives you the ability to push bars for/aft would be next. Then if your tall and you need lower pegs get the 2015 up (I believe, there is a thread) that lower 10mm foot rest. 

3 minutes ago, YZDOC said:

If the suspenders are in, the different bar bends, etc is next. An aftermarket top clamp that gives you the ability to push bars for/aft would be next. Then if your tall and you need lower pegs get the 2015 up (I believe, there is a thread) that lower 10mm foot rest. 

ok. Ill look into different bar bends. I didn't even think of lowering pegs. I'm not particularly tall so thats probably not the root i will take but that is interesting.

The YZ bend bars probably have to much sweep / pull back which is probably making you drop your elbows. 

I always liked the Ricky Carmichael bend on my yz's. Dimensionally they are almost exactly like the CR high bend. But they have slightly less sweep / pull back.

Renthal calls it the Ricky Carmichael bend even though originally it was called the kevin windham bend. 

Pro taper may still call it the windham bend or the RM mid. 

I'm not very tall but I found out way back in 01 they open up the feel of the yz's. I put them on my 02 yz125 back then. It made a big difference in comfort. I had just come off an 01 cr125 which comes with the CR high bend. 

The 1996-1998 YZs top triple clamp had the handlebar mounts pretty far rearward. Aftermarket top clamps with adjustable bar mounts were a very popular for these bikes. Bar mount location on the later bikes moved progressively forward.

As @YZDOC said, find an aftermarket top clamp. Should be easy to find on eBay.

Like @SmokinJoe, I prefer the Windham bend handlebars on the YZs (aka RM mid or KTM)

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. 👍

5 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

The 1996-1998 YZs top triple clamp had the handlebar mounts pretty far rearward. Aftermarket top clamps with adjustable bar mounts were a very popular for these bikes. Bar mount location on the later bikes moved progressively forward.

As @YZDOC said, find an aftermarket top clamp. Should be easy to find on eBay.

Like @SmokinJoe, I prefer the Windham bend handlebars on the YZs (aka RM mid or KTM)

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. 👍

Yep, love the Windham bends. Put them on every bike I have as a personal ride. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 5:19 PM, TommyCrown said:

Get good quality tires that are designed for the terrain you ride on, set correct pressure.

Tyres and suspension , good ones make so much change for the better.

I know I've seen sedonas get a lot of hate on here but the MX907 is great as a rear on my bike. Hasn't disappointed me in the SoCal intermediate type stuff and the Tahoe National Forest terrain I've been riding since I moved. I wasn't too happy with it in the desert out near Trona Ca but I hardly get to ride out there.  I'm really not too crazy about my front tire. It is a geomax MX33 (?), I picked it up for $15 so I kinda had no choice to buy it and ride it haha. I think a front tire upgrade would do me good.

What I was trying to describe in my post was more to do with just the neutral posture on my bike. I feel that I have to shift my body forward an uncomfortable amount to get my arms and elbows the way they should be. On my friends bike, this came much more naturally. 

On 2/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, Frankyo said:

What I was trying to describe in my post was more to do with just the neutral posture on my bike. I feel that I have to shift my body forward an uncomfortable amount to get my arms and elbows the way they should be. On my friends bike, this came much more naturally. 

As a ktm owner about to buy a yamaha, yep I feel you. I'm doing all the things mentioned here: flatter bend (maybe also lower) bars, and a clamp that lets you move the bars forward.

I feel pretty centered standing on ktms, especially the trail bikes with multiple bar clamp options. The old yammy stuff just feels like it makes you want to sit.

You in truckee area?

• Like 1

Just now, kidwoo said:

As a ktm owner about to buy a yamaha, yep I feel you. I'm doing all the things mentioned here: flatter bend (maybe also lower) bars, and a clamp that lets you move the bars forward.

I feel pretty centered standing on ktms, especially the trail bikes with multiple bar clamp options. The old yammy stuff just feels like it makes you want to sit.

You in truckee area?

Ah, glad to hear it's not just me being picky. It's quite a difference.

I am not in truckee- sf bay... But I do go out there often for snowboarding- was there on Thursday last week. Got a crew of friends going tomorrow but I gotta stay damn it

• Like 1