Sign in to follow this  

S or E

What is the best way to go for cost and end result, start with an E modified for dual sport or an S modified for good trail manners? For simplicity sake, 50/50 on/off road riding.

I went with the 04 S, Here California I did not want to deal with trying to get a E street legal (May not be able too now anyways). So, I did the S and converted it to a 80% dirt bike. Probably easyer to take things off then to buy and bolt on. Both bikes would require the same things as far as skid plate, bars and CFC case gaurds. You see in my sig the things I did and removed. Did a 60 mile loop Saturday and I am very happy with the bike. The only thing that I would like is it to be lighter.

my 2 cents

If you can get a plate for the E in your state I would go for it. The E has a better carb and if before 02 a better suspension. The S also has differn't cams and other stuff someone else will have to tell you about. I just know a lot of people are upgrading the cams and carb. The rev limiter is also higher on the E. I hear everyone say get the E if you can get a plate for it in your state. I love my E although I don't ride on the street. I would get the E and im guessing thats also what the others say.

Looks like we both posted at the same time. Also another thing to consider is the 2004 California model E has the same carb as the S and maybe other stuff is the same also but it doesn't look like your in CA.

yep, it all depends on your ability to get a license plate in your state...if you can get an E licensed, that would be the ultimate way to go...A guy I work with just bought a street legal E(from TT name T595)that has a Baja designs dual sport kit on it he does not need so send me a PM if you want to contact him... :thumbsup:Andrew

Thanks for the input. The E sounds like the way to go. And the Suzuki dealer said that he could plate it for me, which surprised me. Now it's go with the killer finance deal they are offering and add, add, add stuff, or find one used with most of the goodies already there.

Most "road" riding I would do would be to trails (I live in an area with 500 miles of trail) and exploring logging roads.

I've heard that you don't need turn flashers, or is that only on older bikes?

Cool, That is the way I wanted to go here so if you get he E that will be cool. Make sure the dealer understand that the deal depends on him getting the plate on the bike.

500 miles of trails... that sounds fun..

I've heard that you don't need turn flashers, or is that only on older bikes?

I don't know if they're required in your state or not (I'd be surpirsed if they were not required equipment), but I'd say you definitely NEED them. Just remember that you'll be on the road with vehicles that way 10 to 20 times more than you, filled with people that hardly have a clue you're there. Every light on your bike, especially one that flashes, helps you be seen.

Ride safe. :thumbsup:

Actually the E and S CA 2004 are the same engine, same carb. I dont think getting plates for a 2004 is possible in CA

Actually the E and S CA 2004 are the same engine, same carb. I dont think getting plates for a 2004 is possible in CA

Same cams, same base gasket?