Mongo134

supercross Fair Weather Fan Boys

With the exception of maybe two or three others in here, I'm not sure there has been anybody who has given Eli Tomac more grief than I. Yet I gave him grief for doing things like skipping out on the MXoN or having to purchase a wrist band just to get in line for a kid to get a autograph.  And neither of those things can I really determine he had a choice in. 

Now it's funny to read all these off handed posts from so called fans that would normally swing from his nuts now turn to kicking him in the nuts. All because he hasn't put a string of wins together this supercross season so far. I thought I was harsh!

The dude is 6th all time in SX wins, has a SX title, three peat 450 outdoor National titles. Now that he has only one win and a few podiums, he suddenly "done or lost his mojo". Or.....maybe he's human and racing against the best in the world? Too funny!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Mongo134 said:

With the exception of maybe two or three others in here, I'm not sure there has been anybody who has given Eli Tomac more grief than I. Yet I gave him grief for doing things like skipping out on the MXoN or having to purchase a wrist band just to get in line for a kid to get a autograph.  And neither of those things can I really determine he had a choice in. 

Now it's funny to read all these off handed posts from so called fans that would normally swing from his nuts now turn to kicking him in the nuts. All because he hasn't put a string of wins together this supercross season so far. I thought I was harsh!

The dude is 6th all time in SX wins, has a SX title, three peat 450 outdoor National titles. Now that he has only one win and a few podiums, he suddenly "done or lost his mojo". Or.....maybe he's human and racing against the best in the world? Too funny!

Yeah, that's what is so frustrating when dealing with swingers.  They grip tight & swing way when their guy is winning.  "Nobody can touch him when he's ON".....that whole nonsense.  Bc you know those same people will immediately unlatch and run if he's getting 5th, which is what we're seeing now.

His starts are poo though.  I've been saying for a long time, that starts would be his undoing.  He's not proving me wrong right now.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again his performance this year IMO has to do with shit one line, everyone running the same lap time tracks, and his usual crap starts.  He is still the fastest guy out there but those two things are now working seriously against him.   

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

Yeah, that's what is so frustrating when dealing with swingers.  They grip tight & swing way when their guy is winning.  "Nobody can touch him when he's ON".....that whole nonsense.  Bc you know those same people will immediately unlatch and run if he's getting 5th, which is what we're seeing now.

His starts are poo though.  I've been saying for a long time, that starts would be his undoing.  He's not proving me wrong right now.

The dude has some serious coin I'm sure. If I were him, I'd call up someone like a Andrew Short or Mike Allesi and hire them for 2-3 weeks to teach me their secret to awesome starts. Or is it not that simple? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wally63 said:

Again his performance this year IMO has to do with shit one line, everyone running the same lap time tracks, and his usual crap starts.  He is still the fastest guy out there but those two things are now working seriously against him.   

Lol your funny 

• Confused 2

I’m not a swinger, but I’ll say it, he looks like he’s over it. He doesn’t have the smash everyone speed or aggression anymore. Except 1 or 2 moto last year, he hasn’t had it since SLC. 

• Like 7
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, redrider144 said:

Swingers are just a middle age male version of a moto ho. They're only down to pound if your on top of the box! 

I enjoy watching all the pros, have respect for each and every one of them and of course have favorites but Ive never understood grown men "crushing" on other men? It's odd. Doesn't matter who or what you are we all put our pants on one leg at a time. I have even seen the swinger phenomenon play out in my  local racing scene back in the day. Lower class racers groveling and sucking up to the Pro class contenders. In that instance I always assumed the swingers were applying to the theory of being " fast by association"😁😁😁😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

He has been the guy-at times- who is the best in the world and alot of fans who follow SX racing think he could and should put together a winning SX season this year and get another championship. But he ends up being alittle too inconsistent and erratic, on top of that it seems like he doesnt say much so you dont know what is holding him back. Yeah the competition is top notch but so is he sometimes, inconsistently. He shouldnt be complaining about his team or his bike at this point IMO, its on him. 

11 minutes ago, dirtbikesonny said:

Swingers are just a middle age male version of a moto ho. They're only down to pound if your on top of the box! 

Lol truth.

• Like 1

Is everyone down on Tomac for being 3rd place in points in this field? The answer to this question has already been stated, this is Startocross. Nothing more needs to be read into it than that. Look at lap times for the top riders and they are typically within a couple tenths of one another during qualifying. Get behind several seconds at the beginning of the race and it's not difficult to determine the outcome.

The true test to see if Tomac is over it will be races where bad starts can be overcome like Daytona and also maybe Atlanta this year. The ultimate clue will be the outdoors assuming it happens. I still say if it wasn't for that POS Kawi last year ZO wouldn't have sniffed an outdoor title. 

• Like 2

He's been "the guy" for four years.  Seems like that's the life expectancy for "the guy".   The very few who have been in that position for longer, have had injuries or bad years that have broken up the time of being the top guy. 

• Like 2

Someone can be a fan, and also express curiosity about Eli’s current state of affairs. He’s my favorite, and I’ve been a huge supporter since before he went pro. His start issues have always made things interesting, since he could impressively  blast through the pack to win. We’re just not seeing that this year, yet. I can fully accept that he may be losing interest, but I hope we’re treated to a surge. Every fighter has one good fight left in them. In Eli’s case, I hope he unleashes that unmatchable speed throughout this year’s SX and MX seasons at least. If he doesn’t, I’m still a fan. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GBow521 said:

I’m not a swinger, but I’ll say it, he looks like he’s over it. He doesn’t have the smash everyone speed or aggression anymore. Except 1 or 2 moto last year, he hasn’t had it since SLC. 

OK Gary, you would know better than anyone here I would think. So let me ask you these points as just a old casual fan who has followed the sport my entire life. I want a pros perspective. 

1) I was at Hangtown when he won his first outdoor moto in the 250 class. Ever since then, the momentum grew. A win here and there, then dominance. How hard is it at that level, to have the expectation of winning and nothing else?

2) As crazy as 2020 was with "are we racing or are we not" but have to keep grinding. What does that play on a pros mindset?

3) I don't know your personal life, only your race career.  Don't need to, please don't post it for the savages.  But I know for myself when I had kids (three awesome girls), everything else left my mind. It was a distraction, even to the point I quit a very high paying position.  But my mindset eventually changed once I knew I had to continue to provide. Everyone takes that responsibility different.  Do you think he is currently in the mindset? He just wants to be around his new family?

4) Most pros would give their left nut just to have the type of season Eli is currently having. Many don't podium, let alone win a race?

I'm not a swinger either, but I'm betting he rebounds. If that is on a Kawasaki or another brand, doesn't matter. 

Edited by Mongo134

I'm still pulling for him to win but he just doesn't look the same. He actually looked faster in SX in the two years before he won the championship....I would love to see him win out from here but I just don't see it. I don't see him pushing it like in the past. Half the races in the outdoors last year didn't look the same either. I think losing the outdoors took something out of him.....or maybe it was pending fatherhood...or maybe he just doesn't like that green bike.....we'll never know the whole story because he simply doesn't reveal much...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miller388 said:

Is everyone down on Tomac for being 3rd place in points in this field? The answer to this question has already been stated, this is Startocross. Nothing more needs to be read into it than that. Look at lap times for the top riders and they are typically within a couple tenths of one another during qualifying. Get behind several seconds at the beginning of the race and it's not difficult to determine the outcome.

The true test to see if Tomac is over it will be races where bad starts can be overcome like Daytona and also maybe Atlanta this year. The ultimate clue will be the outdoors assuming it happens. I still say if it wasn't for that POS Kawi last year ZO wouldn't have sniffed an outdoor title. 

BINGO!  NAILED IT!   IMO the tracks are worse this year than any previous year.  Nothing to separate anyone.  Tiny whoop sections so far.  Easy, bang out fast lap tracks with no technical difficulty at all.  Everyone doing basically the same lap times.  Just absolutely lame as hell.

So my friend I mentioned in another thread that went to the Orlando stupid cross....He said, "I wasted $500".  He took 3 kids with him.  $10 beers. :blink:  He said after 3-4 laps it was follow the leader and completely boring.  Employees walking around with signs saying, "wear your mask".   Couldn't bring a monster energy can to get into the pits because you may infect people with it.   So he had to pre buy tickets for the pits on line.  Then gets to the pits and no one is checking tickets for the pits, suckered him on that one.   He mentioned how the 50cc kid race was the best race of the night and actually drew the loudest cheers from the crowd.   Said they were probably at about 40% capacity.  Sad!   Stupid cross circling the drain.

Keep in mind Tomac and Roczen sharing a private plane heading in to week 1... I can imagine there was a "let's get you a title and retire together" conversation. Probably a "don't let Webb or Barcia win" conversation too. 

New Dad's sticking together!

Edited by 95silverstallion
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

OK Gary, you would know better than anyone here I would think. So let me ask you these points as just a old casual fan who has followed the sport my entire life. I want a pros perspective. 

1) I was at Hangtown when he won his first outdoor moto in the 250 class. Ever since then, the momentum grew. A win here and there, then dominance. How hard is it at that level, to have the expectation of winning and nothing else?

2) As crazy as 2020 was with "are we racing or are we not" but have to keep grinding. What does that play on a pros mindset?

3) I don't know your personal life, only your race career.  Don't need to, please don't post it for the savages.  But I know for myself when I had kids (three awesome girls), everything else left my mind. It was a distraction, even to the point I quit a very high paying position.  But my mindset eventually changed once I knew I had to continue to provide. Everyone takes that responsibility different.  Do you think he is currently in the mindset? He just wants to be around his new family?

4) Most pros would give their left nut just to have the type of season Eli is currently having. Many don't podium, let alone win a race?

I'm not a swinger either, but I'm betting he rebounds. If that is on a Kawasaki or another brand, doesn't matter. 

1. I never won at that level so I don’t know the pressure he faced. I can tell you that after you do well at a national, the pressure was heavy to continue it. 

2. I think a few of them looked tired. I think Zack won because he was fresh off an injury while everyone else was hungover. I’m not taking anything away from Zack, he deserved it, but he was definitely fresher than the others. 

3. I have no opinion on that, having a kid made me work harder. I’ve always been over driven, often to a fault, but I can’t answer the question if I was in his position would the kid effect me. 

4. I’d love to have the season he is having. 

This is just my observation, he doesn’t ride with the same intensity that he did last year, whether it’s being a dad, or he’s just over it, I don’t know, but he doesn’t have that ability to drop a second or two like he use to.  

As far as him moving to a new team, why would he, he’s happy there, and they have nobody better to put there.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

Now it's funny to read all these off handed posts from so called fans that would normally swing from his nuts now turn to kicking him in the nuts.

It's because the average IQ of the TT 'pro racing' poster is equal to or less than Tomac's national number. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4