NoBs

KDX200/220 One more time.........2004 KDX 200

As some might know, I've been looking for a more dirt dedicated bike than my XT250 Yamaha.  I've always had a soft spot for green so I've been looking at the 200/220 KDX line.  I passed on a few, had some sold before I could get to them and had some that approached the 4K price range that I just couldn't justify for a 15 to 30 something year old bike.  I passed on a really nice 2005 200 but guy was absolutely firm at $ 3400..  Today I saw pics of a  2004 in similarly nice shape, had a short conversation via internet and I may take a look at it, cash in hand, ready to take it home.  Has an actual title.. a plus.. I think maybe 3 had titles out of 20 that I inquired about.. completely stock.. may be plus or minus..  couple of add on, skid plate, bark busters.. plus's .. asking $ 3300 but will negotiate.  It's 3 hours one way, another storm here in the east for tomorrow so it won't be for a few days if I go..  For whatever reason these bikes seem to be selling for way more than what I would think..  It's going to irk me off to pay even 3k but depending on what I see and hear I may do it.   These are what I think are called the H bikes...  I haven't read any negatives about the 95 to 06 models but that doesn't say there aren't any.  Seems to have a chrome looking exhaust on it. Would that be stock ?  I will ask but I'd like to know if I should sigh a bit or be happy when I hear the answer.  Comments or opinions welcome...   And if anyone knows of a nice one under 3K and closer to 2k the better, let me know...   

• Like 2

KDX's are great bikes hence why they have such a cult following. Yeah, they aren't the latest and greatest but they are rock solid reliable bikes that I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere.

Chrome pipe would be aftermarket. Stock is black. Depending on what pipe it has changes where it shifts the power to in the rpm range.

$3k seems high to me but if it was super clean, maybe. I wouldn't sell my rough looking, but mechanically perfect, modified KDX220 for less than $2500 right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SS109 said:

KDX's are great bikes hence why they have such a cult following. Yeah, they aren't the latest and greatest but they are rock solid reliable bikes that I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere.

Chrome pipe would be aftermarket. Stock is black. Depending on what pipe it has changes where it shifts the power to in the rpm range.

$3k seems high to me but if it was super clean, maybe. I wouldn't sell my rough looking, but mechanically perfect, modified KDX220 for less than $2500 right now.

And you probably wouldn't have any problem selling it either the way I've seen sales going right now.. in the middle of winter.   At inflated prices..  but if new bikes are literally on a waiting list ( and some are )  the prices could go even higher in the spring until supply catches up with demand.  And that might be a year or so away.  I remember back in the day when it was common place to be on a waiting list for a Harley Davidson.  No price haggling, if you want it shut up and give me your deposit.  If not, step aside and let someone else at the desk.  Now I see used Harleys for ridiculously low prices..   I've got a Harley Clone that's a better bike, that I have around 3K in chrome and factory add ons.  Probably won't get the price of the accessories.  Seems an abundance of street bikes for some reason and a shortage of Dual Sport especially, and also specific kinds of dirt bikes.   Hope I can get out and look at this one before someone goes in with a snowmobile and a trailer and takes it home..  I'm here in the North East where we keep getting winter/bad weather and no end in sight.. that's why I referenced the snowmobile/trailer.. 

Well, after a 7 hr total to and from to look at a 2004 KDX 200, I finally got to sit on one and start it..  Bike was in really good original condition.  So original it had the original tires on it with over half tread.  Disappointment one was I would have to replace both right away as they had checking on them, wouldn't trust them for riding.  Items two, as expected, was the seat height. A tad over 37 in seat height is not good for an older rider at 5'7" inseam 29.  Could barely touch both tiptoes...  Tall guys have no idea how lucky they are in that regard. A lowering kit ( probably 3 to4 in ) would be a must.  And so goes ground clearance and some travel. So before I do anything I'd have plus or minus $ 300, probably more wide pegs thrown in the mix.  He said to make an offer, I did and must have insulted him a bit but I probably would have gone up a bit since the bike was so nice..  Came prepared with hundreds but never got the chance to show them.  What couldn't be seen, and maybe I overthought it was the fact it was kinda too nice for the year...  what else was dry rotted or needed replacing ?  Probably not much but the thought was in my head...  Fired up second kick in a heated garage.  One kick afterward, no smoke out the silencer...   impressive..

So I passed...  Would have had $3K at his price before riding it.  If there are bargains out there, I'm not coming across them.  

I offered $ 2200....  figured with tires and the link I'd have over $ 2500..  With the tire issue the most I would have gone would have been $ 2400..   He wanted $3K, he would have gone to $2700 but with the tires etc before you could even ride it it would be $3K...  that's a lot for a 17 year old bike but.....  I've seen several over $3K and one almost $4K..   Whether they sell for that much may be a different story.  And yes, there are many that are at or under $2K...  Some claim to be be rebuilt to varying degrees, others with " just piston slap "  others needing a top end..   But you don't really know for sure..

Apparently a ew years ago you could pick up one in great shape for $2K...  I haven't seen any yet.  If one comes along great...   if not, I still have a ride.

Thanks for the information. Since the bike clearout during the first COvid check, people are not selling for cheap now. With new bikes going for MSRP (or higher) out the door, the gap between new and used is a really big and tightened.

Ones under $2,000 definitely need work.

3 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

Thanks for the information. Since the bike clearout during the first COvid check, people are not selling for cheap now. With new bikes going for MSRP (or higher) out the door, the gap between new and used is a really big and tightened.

Ones under $2,000 definitely need work.

That's certainly been my experience so far..   Street bikes, on the other hand, seem to be selling for under what I thought.  Maybe this spring will be different. 

Prices always go up in the spring. Right now is the last few weeks of depressed winter pricing. This extends longer in colder climates. For example, it will be sunny and 70 degrees in AL today. :-)

Edited by KDXGarage

Can't imagine 70's right now with 2 feet of snow in the backyard..   Enjoy.