SoCal dream come true but, who to share it with?

Hi TT community,

I live in SoCal area (5 and Oso Parkway) and recently got my first dual sport motorcycle - 2019 DR-Z400 S. I'm so stoked. Dreams do come true. Bought it from a previous owner, had around 1200 miles on it; all stock. Put around 50 miles last weekend around Silverado canyon - Maple Springs trailhead. Met some cool dudes and had a great time. I was looking to see if you could suggest some beginner off road mods to keep the bike safe. If this is probably covered in an earlier forum, I'd appreciate a link. Also, how to find riding buddies around Southern California, any suggestions?

Peace

Ray

PXL_20210215_201402011.MP.jpg

Edited by offroadtea
  • Like 4

Nice find, bike looks great.  Those appear to be the stock tires. As you seem trail oriented, something more dirt worthy will be helpful. Many threads regarding tires but Kenda, and Shinko both make a decent dual sport tire.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with the new ride.

Welcome! Nice ride! That’s a great color way for the 400S!

I’m in OC, and I ride the same spot! I also recently bought a DRZ (KLX400).

209911FE-73EA-45D7-86DD-C7FEF069A2E7.jpeg.480a724327d881eb8b285682a7f200ce.jpeg

I’ve been enjoying the dirt on the 399cc single way more than the asphalt on Ortega Hwy on my 999cc V twin, lately. Dirt is so much fun even at 25 mph! 

You definitely want case savers. There’s nothing really gnarly on Saddleback Mountain. However, owners have reported cracking the magnesium case on the shifter just from a minor tip over on their driveway. 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:18 PM, Ruggage said:

Nice find, bike looks great.  Those appear to be the stock tires. As you seem trail oriented, something more dirt worthy will be helpful. Many threads regarding tires but Kenda, and Shinko both make a decent dual sport tire.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with the new ride.

Thanks Ruggage. I'm thrilled to ride dirt. Thank you for the suggestion on tires. I'm leaning towards upgrading to Kendas since they seem more budget friendly. I want to wear off the stock tires first though 🙂

On 2/18/2021 at 9:08 PM, 8200rpm said:

Welcome! Nice ride! That’s a great color way for the 400S!

I’m in OC, and I ride the same spot! I also recently bought a DRZ (KLX400).

209911FE-73EA-45D7-86DD-C7FEF069A2E7.jpeg.480a724327d881eb8b285682a7f200ce.jpeg

I’ve been enjoying the dirt on the 399cc single way more than the asphalt on Ortega Hwy on my 999cc V twin, lately. Dirt is so much fun even at 25 mph! 

You definitely want case savers. There’s nothing really gnarly on Saddleback Mountain. However, owners have reported cracking the magnesium case on the shifter just from a minor tip over on their driveway. 

I completely agree, dirt is so much fun. I'm available to ride weekends. PM me if you would want to tag team an adventure. Your KLX400 looks great, I appreciate Kawi a lot more since I once owned a Z1000. Kawi motorcycles have the thrill buttoned down well. Just ordered case savers and I think I might be shaving some sharp edges off the shifter/brake lever as some members here suggested.

On 2/20/2021 at 6:20 AM, Bob Happel said:

DRZ owners FB page is a must. There is also an APP called DRZ companion that has a manual and the must do mods. Welcome to the club!

Thanks Bob. I don't have Facebook 🙂. I found life to be more peaceful without it. I appreciate your suggestions on the app too. I'll check it out. Thank you for the welcome, so thrilled to ride dirt roads.

• Like 1

I just did the same, joined TT, and am in a similar position.  If you change your mind about FB, the SoCal Dual Sport Riders group has been really welcoming/helpful.  It sounds like they've got a number of 'group' rides, even for newbs.

17 hours ago, offroadtea said:

Thanks Ruggage. I'm thrilled to ride dirt. Thank you for the suggestion on tires. I'm leaning towards upgrading to Kendas since they seem more budget friendly. I want to wear off the stock tires first though 🙂

Do not do that. Replace the tires asap. The stock tires are absolute garbage. Otherwise, have fun with the new bike. 

27 minutes ago, npm said:

Don't take the stock Deathwings on anything slick off road including dry grass.  It's not if, but when, you will go down.  Great on the street but not much else.

Thanks NPM - I've been hearing that. I just want to make sure I get good use out of the money I spent for the stock tires 🙂

Forgot to say congrats on the new bike!  Unfortunately the stock tires are pretty durable, mine ran to about 2500 miles before the rear started showing enough wear to warrant replacement, but by then I was looking for any excuse to change it. Two lowside crashes/slide outs (approx 15 mph so not bad) on what I wouldn't even consider dirt riding convinced me.  My advice? Ride it hard on the street and get those stock tires worn out, then get two sets of wheels so you can have a choice of tires depending on the ride, then get two bikes for a choice depending on the ride, then get n+1 bikes so you are ready for any ride.  That should about do it. 😁

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, offroadtea said:

Thanks NPM - I've been hearing that. I just want to make sure I get good use out of the money I spent for the stock tires 🙂

Do some big smoky burnouts. Tires are NOT the place to be frugal. 

Screenshot_20210223-102457_Google.jpg

Edited by Chicken-N-Waffles
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, npm said:

Forgot to say congrats on the new bike!  Unfortunately the stock tires are pretty durable, mine ran to about 2500 miles before the rear started showing enough wear to warrant replacement, but by then I was looking for any excuse to change it. Two lowside crashes/slide outs (approx 15 mph so not bad) on what I wouldn't even consider dirt riding convinced me.  My advice? Ride it hard on the street and get those stock tires worn out, then get two sets of wheels so you can have a choice of tires depending on the ride, then get two bikes for a choice depending on the ride, then get n+1 bikes so you are ready for any ride.  That should about do it. 😁

I like the way you think!

I’ve owned 5 different bikes in the last 18 months. But, March 2020 when the lockdowns started, I added a second bike to the garage! Since then, I sold both of those bike at different times while replacing the sold one within days.  

Now, it’s hard to imagine a life without at least two bikes. Pick a ride depending on my mood. 

• Like 2